Toilet Training And General Around House Training For Me And Pup

Valkyrie

hi all im looking at getting a pup very soon,

i have been advised that they have started toilet training him but training isnt finished.

the pup is 13 weeks old now,

basicly im curious as to how long toilet training normally takes untill he/she is fully trained?.

also what kind of preperations around the house should i make before i collect my new best friend.

i am aware that pups are going to terrorise me and my house LOL but is thier

anything outwardly scary that i should not look forward to coming home and seeing LOL and thus puppy proofing.

i live in a granny flat which is an open plan style at my parents house we have a fair decent sized backyard and tennis court*fully caged* so i have lots of options for areas to play with him in the backyard as i train him to get used to the area and the smells

but im after any advise anyone can share :party:

also is the Barf Diet the best for pups or should i consult the Breeder about whats best to feed him for awhile?.

Regards

Bryce.

Edited by Valkyrie

oOOOOooooooh too cute!

OK well start toilet training straight away. It varies from dog to dog, some take a few days, some a few weeks! But if you are quick and make sure that there is little margin for error they get it pretty quickly.

As for the house ... dont let the pup wander the house without you. It spells trouble really. Take all chemicals and chewable items out of reach (on the fridge, high cupboards or lockable ones) and make sure power cords are out of the way or unplugged. Smearing a little chilli on power cords can teach it a lesson before it gets electrocuted!

Baby gates from K Mart are good, and get yourself a crate to crate train. If you are not home then the pup should be in a crate or a pen, but remember that pups cant hang on for long periods. DOnt expect a baby puppy to hang on for 3-4 hours and then tell it off for toileting. Litter box training is a good idea if the pup will spend a lot of time indoors or unsupervised.

Continue with the breeders diet for at least a couple of weeks and then begin to slowly introduce new foods. Never make sudden switches or give new foods in large quantities unless you are ready for sloppy poo or vomits! BARF is good but again wean the pup off the breeders diet slowly. Good to teach the pup a routine and also about meal times. Now that its away from its littermates it can learn not to scoff food or be posessive over things to dont let any of that behaviour continue.

oOOOOooooooh too cute!

OK well start toilet training straight away. It varies from dog to dog, some take a few days, some a few weeks! But if you are quick and make sure that there is little margin for error they get it pretty quickly.

As for the house ... dont let the pup wander the house without you. It spells trouble really. Take all chemicals and chewable items out of reach (on the fridge, high cupboards or lockable ones) and make sure power cords are out of the way or unplugged. Smearing a little chilli on power cords can teach it a lesson before it gets electrocuted!

Baby gates from K Mart are good, and get yourself a crate to crate train. If you are not home then the pup should be in a crate or a pen, but remember that pups cant hang on for long periods. DOnt expect a baby puppy to hang on for 3-4 hours and then tell it off for toileting. Litter box training is a good idea if the pup will spend a lot of time indoors or unsupervised.

Continue with the breeders diet for at least a couple of weeks and then begin to slowly introduce new foods. Never make sudden switches or give new foods in large quantities unless you are ready for sloppy poo or vomits! BARF is good but again wean the pup off the breeders diet slowly. Good to teach the pup a routine and also about meal times. Now that its away from its littermates it can learn not to scoff food or be posessive over things to dont let any of that behaviour continue.

thank you.

yeah my room is open plan ie kitchen/bedroom/loung all in one LOL

chilli powder on cords now thats something i would not have thought of doing.

crate? ie basket?.

and yeah was going to try and litter train him aswell,

i have a sun roon attached to my room which would be good for a litter and even if i can teach him to make his messes in the sun room thats better than under my bed or under my chair like some of my old cats used to do LOL.

i will post up some pics of the pup shorlty in the photo area jsut gotta upload them :party:

crate as in those metal collapsable crates with the lockable door. Teach the puppy this is its home at night and when mum isnt around. Much easier and safer.

Search 'crate training' for the forums.

As for the litter training, use paper based litters as they are bitter and not as edible as clay. Also, make sure you put the pup on the litter box after every activity (wake up, eaten, drunk water, playtime) and stay there until it goes. Praise it heaps, even give it a treat for going in the litter box. The under bed plastic storage containers are good because theyre a little deeper and larger then a small litter box. Also dogs dont like to mess where they sleep so dont keep it too close to the sleeping/eating area.