Housebreaking Aids

dogsong

For the time being, while he stlil can't hold it, I have newspaper set up for him, but he had an accident once, and keeps going there to do his business. I'm wondering if the Simple Solution odor remover and potty training aid will help?

Edited by dogsong

I always train my puppies to go outside from the very beginning, sure it's hard work watching them all the time, but I've always found that they catch on really quickly. Outside after sleeping, playing and eating and every hour in between, it's hectic at first, but if you're vigilant and consistent it only takes a few weeks. I've never bothered with newspapers, pee pads or anything like that, I think they hinder rather than help. I can't help you with the housebreaking aids as I've never used them.

you should try to remove the smell ASAP. Try the odour remover. I also heard tea tree oil mixed with some lemon and water can help hide the odour.

You can also try blocking this room / section off until pup is completely toliet trained.

• 2 weeks later...

The ABC book Spotless (on cleaning) says you can us an UV lamp (protect your eyes) to see if there are urine stains on the floor. I use tea tree oil in water to clean the floor as soon as they have done something but am too afraid to use the lamp: I know what I will see.

I haven't heard the tea tree oil one. But i use a mix of 2:1 vinegar and water. It masks their scent quite well. I use it after cleaning up both puddles and presents.

Somedays I feel like mopping the floor with it!

I also use a 'housebreaking aid' scent in a bottle. I put 2 drops on a pee pad and (important) wait for them to sink in... I didn't wait once, he rolled in the drops! The scent got into his bedding and he peed in there :laugh:

Anyway, turns out the local puppy pre-school uses the same mix of vinegar and water. Good luck.