What Have I Done Wrong? Please Help!

:rofl: Arwwwh~!~ Luv Mitchy :angel:

With the car probs. My mum's rotti had the same probs,due to a rough start also,so associated the car with being,dumped off to another family.

A bit of a prob,when the dog is 4okgs,an had to be lifted into the car each time etc. :rofl:

It just means a bit of tough love.

Leave the car in the drive with the door open. Watch Mitchy around it, freely etc.

Start doing training with him. Using a firm tone and happy demeanor.

Come~!~

He does big fuss :thumbsup:

Sit

Hold treat above his head as he approachs, gets him into sitting position.

Big fuss & treats etc.

[/color]Car Training

Ignore any fear or hesitancy upon his part. Do not sooth or pat or even look at sympathetically.

Than, make a trail of treats to the open car door, onto the car seat. etc (careful,he doesn't eat it before the lesson starts) :rofl:

Once her starts to the open car door,praise like mad, than more treats, preferrably him's started climbing into the car.

When he's in the car - more treats.

Lots of pats and treats and time with him.

He'll associate the car with affection and treats.

Have ago, let me know how it works out :cry:

I did this with my mum's rotti only once, than she, realised,not just that it was good, but that she'd be able to travel with my parents regularly.

She actually got to love travelling.

Plus, hoisting a 4okg rotti,was a bit of a handful to manage,especially one,who didn't

want to cooperate :banghead:

jls

THanks for that. I will try that and see how i go. I may have to do it before dinner cause he is not very food orientated unless it is meal time.

I gave him a pigs ear on saturday, which he 'buried' under his doona and Mitchi went and got it yesterday and ate it!!

He just watched her and then curled up and slept.

Would his vomiting be anxiety based too? As in he works himself up to a state that makes him sick? HE doesn't panic or slobber or look scared. His nose gets wet and he has to touch me with a paw. He puts it over the hand brake - it is very cute - and he licks my hand occasionally but other than that he shows no signs of distress. I just know he is because of previous times.

I am even too scared to take him to a 2nd training at ADT in Boronia casue i am too scared he will be sick. (it is a 35 mnutes trip and he is sick on the way home form berwick a 10min trip)

Would his vomiting be anxiety based too? As he works himself up to a state that makes him sick?

:thumbsup: My guess is yes~!~

But you'll find out for sure,when you do the the training etc.

Otherwise, Mitchy,might get travel sickness etc. See how you go. :banghead:

Such a cute little guy.

jls

post-11136-1155592883.jpgpost-11136-1155592872.jpg[a

tachment=47627:attachment]

THis is the kids in the bed...Notice Mitchi won't leave poor Barker to have a snooze.

BUt they are listening better which is great.

Mitchi does not show any signs of car sickness. She loves it, Barker on the other hand seems to get stressed. I will try desensitising him over the next couple of weeks and hopefully that will make a HUGE difference.

post-11136-1155592893.jpg

:rofl: Ooooh, so beautiful.

It totally worked for me. Just have to be a bit stern the first time,no sympathetic looks or consoling or the game is over.A bit of tough love.

Especially since they are so cute,it'll be hard, but worth it :rofl:

You'll see, they'll be travelling with you in no time. :rofl:

jls

Edited by jls

He has been VERY clingy to me too. So we decided to try something new cause he will just follow me around. We decided instead of making him sleep outside we would put his basket in our room in a corner and see how he went.

Well the lovely boy woke me up at 4am to go to the loo and i decided he could stay out then. He was so good. Hoppe din his bed and stayed there, no whining, no crying and no getting up.

Not ideal but i think it alleiviates some of his fears. I truly think he thinks we are going to just leave him.

So we will continue this and see if he improves. I think one of our cats will actually end up sleeping with him as she hopped in the basket once he was outside but she wa VERYcurious when he was in it.

What i can't believe is that my hubby went for it.

Kristie I feel your pain, I have 2 teens at the moment though Eddie pushes it more than Molly does!!!!!

They are getting better, and my training methods are getting better!!! They are both 13 months now hehehe

Thank dog for DOL is all I can say!!! :cry:

Edited by shoemonster

Kristie maybe your dog suffers travel sickness mixed with anxiety. Try a little grated ginger about half an hour before intended car trip and if possible put him in a travel box or a crate with a blanket over it, some small breeds suffer from strobing or fast movement of objects like the trees etc. Often this is cured by covering in a small crate. After a few trips begin to fold a section of the blanket back a bit at a time over several outings. Good luck :wave:

Barks is doing pretty well. He is listening more and he slept the whole night in his basket in our room. No problems. BUT i think i may be making him more clingy to me. When i go to put him outside in teh morning i literally have to drag him and when i close the door he charges it and then sits and shakes his head! :wave:

I am going to squirt him with water and see how i go.

"I am going to squirt him with water and see how i go."

I hope you are joking. Please don't! Think of how your dog will percieve this. Not only are you leaving, he is getting punished as well. Best is to wind him down emotionally, put him outside gently and ignore him. You really need some good professional help with this, you are setting up some conditions for classic anxiety difficulties.

I am not squirting him with water - i know it is anxiety that causes him to do this.

I know he has anxiety issues, i knew that when i got him.

He is doing really well sleeping in our room in his basket. He sleeps through and waits until i go out to the kitchen before he gets up.

I am going to speak to the behaviouralist at ADT next weekend and see what we can do. I want him to be happy away from us. Mind you it is more me that he is attached to and listens too. Mitchi loves us both as does Barker but he and i have bonded really strongly - he is like my dog Sam in so many ways an dif reincarnation is real then i would have to say Barker is Sam reincarnated.