3yo Cocker Male Always Runs Away From Female Puppy.

Grapet

Hi wise people,

Bella, our 8week old cocker puppy loves to follow our 3yo cocker male around (as expected).

He just "runs for the hills" and appears constantly vigilant and anxious whenever she is out of her crate. I expected him to exercise a bit of alpha dominance and tell her to buzz off rather than being a scaredy dog! He is normally a boisterous happy dog, but not when she is around. We introduced them on neutral territory and are actively providing attention to them both, feeding him first etc.

Suggestions, comments...?

My Bella pushed Bruno away from me when I first got him. Your boy is saying "I hope they take this one back soon" :laugh: .

It takes them about a week to get used to each other. Meantime you're doing everything right.

Bella and Bruno are now fast friends and love playing together but it took a little time.

My George did the same thing when our puppy Millie came home. He frothed at the mouth & drooled and was really anxious around her. He eventually got over it after about 4 days and decided she was ok. Nw they get along like a house on fire. I guess the most important thing is to let him come around in his own time.

In the meantime, keep doing what you're doing by giving him attention first, feeding him first etc. Perserverance is the key. :laugh:

Orson was a bit unsure and stayed at a distance when we first got Oi until Oi decided she was going to take matters into her own hands :rofl: They were both still puppies (both of them 6 months at the time) and still unsure of a few things. Lots of pecking order sorting :laugh: but atleast we've sorted that bit out now. Oi's the boss :rofl:

How long has Bella been with you? It will take some time for things to settle and your 3yo to decide Bella's actually alright and she's here to stay. Has Bella done anything other than following him around that's made him feel uncomfortable? (ie. growling, stirring him up wanting to play - pouncing)

Can we have some photos? :rofl:

Hi all,

As you'd expect, all is well. They are sorting themselves out. Spencer is asserting hims dominance. They are alternately initiating play and getting the measure of each other.

Thanks for all your wise counsel. Pics soon...

whilst a little off topic, this story brings me BIG SMILES of my "HEART DOG" who ran a mile, from a puppy! If they squeaked, came near him to give him kisses, he was OFF, used to sit on the grooming table like the big sook that he was, and just "over watched" the whole "puppy scenario". He doesn't have to worry about things like that now, as he ages. He now has a son, that seems to think he also is "above" the "puppy thing!! And has taken his "daddy's" role for him.

Memories are such wonderful things!!!!!!!

:rofl:

Deb

Edited by Debbi

Really can you blame him,

8 week old puppies are a pain in the ar**, personally I don't leave my pups with the adults till they are around 5 -6 month old.

Cocker babies are the most EVIL creatures around :rofl:

No really they will become friend, just let him adjust in his own time, don't force it. Good Luck

NOW WHERE ARE THOSE PICS

• 2 months later...