Did You Get What You Wanted

I really believe you get out of a dog what you put into it. A couple with a Rottie told me that at a tracking trial recently and that is the truest thing I have heard about training.

I suppose generally this paragraph has some merit.

Can I train my labradors to herd? Sure with training. Are they going to win and/or be good or naturals at herding NO.

Would they be suitable as guide dogs for the visually impaired with the correct training. No.

With Josh I really didn't have any plans perhaps obedience, but he didn't like it, but turned into an excellent flyball dog, he also has a huge drive for retreiving.

Moses I picked a line with agility lines, was planning on agility but he really doesn't like it, he has made a really speedy flyball dog and a master at tricks.

Next breed I am looking at is a border collie. Love Moses to pieces including his drive, but like to try different breeds.

I wanted a high drive dog to compete and win in yard dog trials. I got a pup from the state champion who i thought was showing super drive at 6 weeks.

He has been everything and more as far as doind what i wanted him for.

He has very high drives and is a pain in the neck to live with sometimes. I had him out training with and without stock everyday from 7 weeks.

I researched and spent alot of time building and channelling his drives. I believe i got what i wanted and probably more.

I hope i answered the question.

"Can I train my labradors to herd? Sure with training. Are they going to win and/or be good or naturals at herding NO.

Would they be suitable as guide dogs for the visually impaired with the correct training. No. "

This is a good point. I got a poodle becuase I wanted an agility and obedience dog who could do tracking. With all the will in the world, you couldn't call Labs elegant precise dogs. I personally wouldn't put a Lab around an agility course that was built to standard. And I certainly wouldn't expect them to do completely brillantly in tracking, (becuase they trail and becuase I probably wouldn't be bothered about it) BUT I think they are bred to be a retrieving dog par excellent, and If I wanted a working sniffing,SAR hunting dog I wouldn't look further. I would probably do a little obedience to show what they can do .

The poodle is an entirely different type of dog,and mine could do well in any of agility ,obedinece,tracking becuae she has the innate drives ability and temperament. But if I got lost in the bush i sure as hell hope they send a lab after me!

With all the will in the world, you couldn't call Labs elegant precise dogs. I personally wouldn't put a Lab around an agility course that was built to standard. And I certainly wouldn't expect them to do completely brillantly in tracking, (becuase they trail and becuase I probably wouldn't be bothered about it)

Hey they are fighting words :thumbsup: :D

A few days ago, I took my two youngsters for a walk to the semi rural park, for want of something to do. I caught up with 4 labrador owners who I had met in years gone by. My two were streaking around, jumping up and down to the creek, which had very high banks. All asked, "are they pure bred labradors, they move so fast and jump so well".

I for one, prefer working lines than show. Different standards.

I wanted a high drive dog to compete and win in yard dog trials. I got a pup from the state champion who i thought was showing super drive at 6 weeks.

He has been everything and more as far as doind what i wanted him for.

He has very high drives and is a pain in the neck to live with sometimes. I had him out training with and without stock everyday from 7 weeks.

I researched and spent alot of time building and channelling his drives. I believe i got what i wanted and probably more.

I hope i answered the question.

Most working kelpies ROCK!!!!!!!!

Yes, they do rock!!

Amazing dogs who have amazing drives to do what they have been selectively bred for over many years.

I love watching the lines of dogs who have been bred purely for working purposes, be it kelpies, collies, labs, GSD's, malinios, etc etc. Not always the prettiest of dogs but great at what they do and drives to die for.

Lablover, i always find your threads interesting. You always seem to ask thought provoking, interesting questions that you have thought alot about.

Lablover, i always find your threads interesting. You always seem to ask thought provoking, interesting questions that you have thought alot about.

My word, I thank you, after my terrible day it means a lot.

Mind you, I do think about dog training toooooooo damm much!!!! :thumbsup:

always had GSD's, wanted something different and bought a dobe pup. Should have done more research into lines as he is a very soft dog, not very strong nerves but he's all show lines. The older dobe is a rescue but comes from working lines. He is so FULL of drive I am banging my head against a wall with him at the moment. I think he's too much dog for me at this point in MY handling and training skills, but will be bringing him up to K9 in October for lessons so we'll see how we go. If I was going to get another one, I would buy a pup from the kennel that the rescue came from FOR SURE!!! And I would not get anything other than a Doberman now, which surprises me as I loved the shepherds, but the dobes are just unreal, and just love their people so much it's fantastic!

Wanted to add that I have found out that the litter that the rescue's dad came from, all went to working homes, in fact only one is still here in Australia, the majority are overseas as police and protection dogs and the breeder had several pups returned to her as they were too full on for most homes. But that's what these working dogs are SUPPOSED to be like!! So good on her for staying true to the breed I say!

"are they pure bred labradors, they move so fast and jump so well".

I often got asked this question with my boy, sometimes by judges in obedience, sometimes by otehr Lab owners.!! Now it is he isn't 13 is he? he is so lively must be 6 or 7. My lab can't move that quick. Yes they should be muscled and fast and have a ton of endurance, and they shouldn't be huge.They should have a waist and be on the move and you should feel and see their ribs. They should go up steep river banks like there is nothing in the way. If they can't, they are a show pony. My preference is towards the working end, and been the great working dogs they are if you chucked them in the agility ring they would pluck an AD from somewhere. :laugh::laugh: The problem is that "the pretty little black thing" (that's what i think my old boy calls her) that I also have would have been around the ring 1/2 way again. Also, got to give something else to the BC's to bloody win!

"But that's what these working dogs are SUPPOSED to be like!! "

I sometimes wonder wheter the popularity of the lab as a "Family dog" has detracted some of it's working dog ability's. So many I see in class seem well, flat with no get up and go. A few can't even retrieve. I notice that a lot of these do orignate from backyard breeders.