Aldi Dog Food

I blend fruit and vegies to a pulp and add brewers yeast, kelp, organic eggs, live culture yoghurt, flaxseed oil and cottage cheese. I then mix this with human grade chicken, turkey or beef mince and freeze in meal sized containers. The Rottweilers get a chicken frame after the BARF meal and the Cavaliers get a wing. They have raw meaty bones at other times too.

I give a Salmon oil capsule to the big dogs daily and the little dogs twice a week. Vitamin E capsule to all dogs every third day..

Eagle Pack is a good dried food and my dogs have nice shiny coats on the food they are on.

Hope this helps.

Edited to add. I don't use pasta, rice or any fillers but they do get it occasionally as leftovers.

Gee I'm comming back as a dog to your house where you get the...salmon tabs...and vitamin E ...in the health food shops?

:o i was thinking the same thing. CavNrott your dogs eat better than I do! Not that there's anything wrong with that. Dogs are people too! :D

although I don't think I'd like a chicken frame in with my meal each night, it wouldn't go with my spaghetti bolognaise!!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I blend fruit and vegies to a pulp and add brewers yeast, kelp, organic eggs, live culture yoghurt, flaxseed oil and cottage cheese. I then mix this with human grade chicken, turkey or beef mince and freeze in meal sized containers. The Rottweilers get a chicken frame after the BARF meal and the Cavaliers get a wing. They have raw meaty bones at other times too.

I give a Salmon oil capsule to the big dogs daily and the little dogs twice a week. Vitamin E capsule to all dogs every third day..

Eagle Pack is a good dried food and my dogs have nice shiny coats on the food they are on.

Hope this helps.

Edited to add. I don't use pasta, rice or any fillers but they do get it occasionally as leftovers.

that helps a lot thankyou. gee you must have two fridges or a big chest freezer to fit all that in!

How much do you estimate that'd cost you per week to feed your dogs?

You can get chicken mince for about 80 cents per kilo, just do not feed everynight as it is fatty

Kangaroo, good for dogs on diets

Beef is good too,

Ask your greengrocer to save you older veges, cheap too

thanks peibe! yeah i had heard kangaroo meat was lean meat. I don't know if I can buy it in Vic... but I'll go hunting. Not literally hunting myself, but hunting at the butchers.

that's good advice about the old vegies

Joeys Angel I have only found the salmon oil capsules at one health food shop and I use natural vit.E and you can get those in the supermarket. If it helps at all the Salmon oil caps are Thompsons brand. If you can't get salmon oil caps you can use Fish Oil (supermarket)ones but I like the salmon oil.

The diet I feed was basically given to me by the breeder of my Rottie who was weaned onto BARF (the Rottie, not the breeder).

P&R I have a huge chest freezer in my garage so it's all easy. Don't worry P&R my dogs eat better than I do too. I have no idea how much it costs to feed this lot per week and I have a feeling I wouldn't want to know :o

sometimes it's good not to know stuff, hey? Might hurt to know their grocery bill is higher than your own!

Koilz - when I initially read that, i thought you meant you like Aldi Dog Food for yourself!!!!!!

Yeah, of course I like dog food. Yum!

Seriously though, I'm not allowed to feed my dog canned food becuase my squeemish partners says the sight and smell of it makes him feel sick! I've been feeding my pup Nutro for the past three weeks and the difference in his coat is amazing, but like all premium foods it's bloody expensive.

I know a lot of people here poo-poo the supermarket brands of food, but I really think they are fine if you supplement it with some raw stuff. Even without the bones, it's probably more nutritionally balanced than most human's diets.

But back to Aldi canned food - I'm pretty sure my parents used to feed their two whippets it. But about a two months ago the vet found they had teeth problems so put them on some expensive dental food. Apart from the teeth problem (which probably could have been fixed with a few chicken wings a week to chew on) their dogs are fine and healthy.

Yeah, of course I like dog food. Yum!

Seriously though, I'm not allowed to feed my dog canned food becuase my squeemish partners says the sight and smell of it makes him feel sick! I've been feeding my pup Nutro for the past three weeks and the difference in his coat is amazing, but like all premium foods it's bloody expensive.

I know a lot of people here poo-poo the supermarket brands of food, but I really think they are fine if you supplement it with some raw stuff. Even without the bones, it's probably more nutritionally balanced than most human's diets.

But back to Aldi canned food - I'm pretty sure my parents used to feed their two whippets it. But about a two months ago the vet found they had teeth problems so put them on some expensive dental food. Apart from the teeth problem (which probably could have been fixed with a few chicken wings a week to chew on) their dogs are fine and healthy.

yeh canned food stinks. that's one part i definitely don't like. And canned dog food poo stinks even worse. And canned dog food farts stink even worse again!

I do not add up what it costs to feed mine, but ATM I am feeding 10, I do not want to know either lol

hey i'd like to see a photo of your loungeroom in the evening, with ten Shar Pei sitting on the couches watching telly. Does that ever happen?

NO :D never happens, not all ar Pei either, I have a Boston x PUg and a Frenchie, foster dogs are seperate from my dogs, well some anyway, Gracey lives with us but the other ferals are out the back :o

Joeys Angel I have only found the salmon oil capsules at one health food shop and I use natural vit.E and you can get those in the supermarket. If it helps at all the Salmon oil caps are Thompsons brand. If you can't get salmon oil caps you can use Fish Oil (supermarket)ones but I like the salmon oil.

The diet I feed was basically given to me by the breeder of my Rottie who was weaned onto BARF (the Rottie, not the breeder).

P&R I have a huge chest freezer in my garage so it's all easy. Don't worry P&R my dogs eat better than I do too. I have no idea how much it costs to feed this lot per week and I have a feeling I wouldn't want to know :D

thanks for that info CavNrott I will have a look tomorrow pay day :o ...I thought I was over doing it feeding my dog country chicken one night lol and lasange another just a change from the normal meals lol guess we all like to think our dogs are really enjoying their meals...so just normal tabs(like for humans) not in the dog section?...All the cats are here tellin me its tea time so have to go feed them now

Thanks CavzNrott......yer Vanti my dog loves the chicken necks too ...cats are all fed so its all quite here again they are so persistant at feed time don't shut up till they get it....funny eh don't hear the dogs barkin "Wheres my food give it to me now" ........they just wait till they get it what ever the time is ....

Just getting back to the original topic. I combine the Aldi canned food for my two, along with their raw stuff. I've found it to be fantastic. It's rich, with nice firm chunks of meat. Not everyones choice of course, but it doesn't go through mine, or make them fart. All the higher brand names of dog's food, I've found to go right thought mine. But the Aldi one doesn't. I dunno maybe I'm just lucky

thanks zia'snuthouse. what sort of dogs do you have?

my understanding of aldi products is that it is always a "normal brand" but repackaged for aldi. so their weetbix might actually be sanitarium but it's repackaged as aldi bix in an aldi box.

i am curious to know what the "real brand" is for aldi dog food

Edited by Punter & Ruby

I used the Aldi tins a few times a year or so ago, but found the farting unbearable.

My BC/Kelpie dog does flyball and I've been looking at a variety of food, but am on a budget.

I love the Science diet kibble, but find that SuperCoat is just as good for my two. We feed the 22kg dog one and a half cups of supercoat along with 4 or 5 chicken necks.

The Westie gets one cup of supercoat and 2 or 3 chicken necks.

Every second week I change the necks for BARF patties (that I get for $17 or so from PetBarn).

I like to think the dogs enjoy a change in texture as much as we humans do, so like to give more than just dry food.

Pal gives them the runs (dry or canned) - funny how this has been the case with Pal for many years it would seem - our breeder told us this would happen 18 years ago when I got my first Westie!

I'm a big fan of of Aldi - more for myself than my fur kid. But I have given him some of the Aldi dog treats. He loved them and they didn't give him the runs the way schmackos and the Natures Gift treats do.

Aldi treats are Nature's Gift treats, packaged specially for Aldi. If you are feeding enough treats that your dog gets the runs, you are feeding too many treats.

Not sure who does the Aldi canned food.