Obedience Training With A Stumpy-butt Dog.

bikle

Doug and I started obedience last week.

It's the first time I have ever been to ANY type of formal dog training and I have found I have so much to learn. Its almost overwhelming.

Anyhoo - first day of class was heeling.

Instructor tells me to treat Doug when he is doing the right thing.

I am to hold the treat in my palm so he licks it from between my fingers.

I understand this would work well for larger dogs, dogs with their heads at waist height.

Doug is a foot off the ground.

All of my instructors have larger breeds (borders, retreivers etc). I have read a few threads about instructors sometimes forgetting to cater for the needs of smaller dogs.

Is there anyone that has any tips and hints for training stumpies?

I don't want to feel like I am spending the whole training session bent over to reach him.

K9: There are a few ways that I have worked with small dogs without spending the day bent over...

In traditional training methods, I use a small (stable) table with rubber matting on it.

This should be around 300mm high & not wobble.

Have one made for you that is the same length as the dog is laying down & as wide as the dog is sitting..

Then teach the dog the static sit & down commands up there...

At this stage I teach the dog to catch the food rewards & bending over is not so often...

If your going to compete the table makes for straight not sloppy sits & stacked downs...

I can't help you but I hope poor Douglas doesn't hear you call him a "Stumpy-butt Dog".... He might get a complex about his height :laugh::laugh:

Haha. He doesn't beleive he IS a small dog. Thats the problem. I keep telling him 'You are too small to jump onto the couch'.

Last night he did. Thought he was SO clever. :(

Edited by bikle

Time to give your instructor a reality check - ask him/her to demonstrate the correct technique on your dog... hopefully they are taller than you.

Step 2 - follow K9's advice.. but when you don't have access to a table just bend over... from the knees is good. I'm 175cm tall and my tallest dog is 36 - as I don't have arms like a gibbon, I have to bend to reward. I use my voice as much as possible but treats come from my hand as none of my dogs get the "catch the treat" thing.. it just hits them in the head and they snuffle around for it.

I hear a lot of obedience judges/instructors of "traditional obedience breeds" getting into the small dog handlers for bending. Asking them to try cueing a small dog tends to stop those comments. If their dogs can have signals in front of their muzzles, then so can mine.

Edited by poodlefan

thanks poodlefan. Im going to bring it up next week when I go back. I was really put off last week. I guess its just because Im so new to the whole thing. I get so confused.

'Hold your treat in this hand'

'Hold your lead in that hand'

*Doug wanders away sniffing*

Ok - now clap to get his attention.

:(

I know - makes no sense (and it's physically impossible).

Trying to increase his focus but he's still only a pup and things only stay interesting for him for a short time. The world is so exciting. So many duck poos to eat!

bikle - your dog looks like a brown and white version of my b&w dog (also a stumpy bum), and yes, getting those hand signals in front of their nose...

Re comments on 'focus' - one exercise a trainer gave me might help - kneel in front of the dog with arms outstretched and treats in either hand. When dog looks at you (rather than hand with treats) mark with a 'yes' and promptly give treats.

Another thing with a smaller dog that a trainer only recently picked up with me - when walking I tend to flick my heels up quite high (guess I walk strange :( ), and with smaller dogs this can make them heel 'wide' (which is my dog's tendancy) cos they don't want an accidental kick.

And duck poo is yummy isn't it? and possum poo is like little nibblys! :laugh:

ETA - what sort of dog is Doug???

post-7882-1158825734_thumb.jpg

Edited by KismetKat

Re comments on 'focus' - one exercise a trainer gave me might help - kneel in front of the dog with arms outstretched and treats in either hand. When dog looks at you (rather than hand with treats) mark with a 'yes' and promptly give treats.

I will try that focus technique tonigh KK. Sounds good.

Another thing with a smaller dog that a trainer only recently picked up with me - when walking I tend to flick my heels up quite high (guess I walk strange :( ), and with smaller dogs this can make them heel 'wide' (which is my dog's tendancy) cos they don't want an accidental kick.

And duck poo is yummy isn't it? and possum poo is like little nibblys! :laugh:

ETA - what sort of dog is Doug???

He's a Pembroke Corgi - I'm sure he would love to meet your stumpy bum.. what breed is yours??

Also.

I have been trying training him before meals to make sure I get a high food drive.

Thinking of giving him a half-dinner the night before training this week to increase the value of the food rewards..

Am I doing the right thing??

He's a Pembroke Corgi - I'm sure he would love to meet your stumpy bum.. what breed is yours??

LOL bikle - I have no idea! Predominently BC x Corgi - but there are other things in the mix. A huge dollop of terrier (JR or Foxy) is also suspected.

She's certainly got you pup's curly tail though :(

Re food and training - no expert here but my dog has her main meal in the morning (with an evening light small handful of kibble) and on school days she doesn't get her 'dinner" (i.e. breakfast) at all - just a bone to gnaw when we get home. And also, my school doesn't allow training with treats.

However my dog is not a pup (2 and a half now) so I think breeders/trainers who know the breed should answer your question. The pup months are so important.

And also, my school doesn't allow training with treats.

What the ....???? :thumbsup: :D :)

Well the club is a vca obedience club and vca rules prohibit taking a treat bag into the trial ring - so the rule makes sense. We are perfectly allowed to use treats when training at home.