Puppy Help

sophielou

HI all,

well my puppy has been home with us for 1 week.

he is a little gem. He has had one accident in the house...1 in a week.

But we have one small problem. He likes to grap on to our clothes and bite on and growl...

He also gets excited and will nip at us.

We have 2 kids so want to discourage this ASAP.

He starts puppy preschool in 3 weeks...

what shoudl I do what is the best way to teach him. i know he is just a bubby ( 12 weeks) and is jsut playing and I dont want to upset him either!!!

Any advice would be sooo appreciated.

Our little boy does the same thing!

I did a bit of reading and talked to a few people at obedience and have found that making a yelping sound (same sound as when you accidently step on their paw) whenever they bite or are about to bite seems to work. If you do it just before they are about to bite they pull back.

It is the sound their litter mates would make if they bit them, so they are used to associating it with hurting another dog.

This might be worth trying:

When we first got our puppy, we got a little water spray bottle and everytime he would bite us and our clothes he got told a stern NO and a squirt in the face. It took a while but one day it just clicked with him that NO means NO and now he doesnt bite us anymore or if he tries, as soon as he hears NO he pulls away

This might be worth trying:

When we first got our puppy, we got a little water spray bottle and everytime he would bite us and our clothes he got told a stern NO and a squirt in the face. It took a while but one day it just clicked with him that NO means NO and now he doesnt bite us anymore or if he tries, as soon as he hears NO he pulls away

I have that issue with Sam but by the time I have the bottle in my hand she has stopped and gone to amuse her self somewere else or just stopeed in general.

Can dogs tell the difference between mouthing and biting ?

its all similar. You shouldnt allow your dog to mouth anyway, dogs find 'degrees' difficult and if you correct at different stages you will confuse teh pup.

For me, any biting, mouthing, chewing, nipping etc is completely unacceptable. Stop it now and when the dog goes through puberty (and its much larger) you wont have any problems.

I'm far from being an expert (had my puppy 2 days lol), but what Ive done so far and it seems to be working is whenever he teeths/bites me, even lightly, I instantnly grab his muzzle (lightly but firmly) and say an assertive NO.

Ive done it about 20 times so far and he is using his teeth on me less and less. I've even tried to semi-bait him into using his teeth on me and he won't.

Keep your fingers crossed. Hopefully this simple method will prevail long term.

I've found yelping has worked in previous companies.

My opinion differs to others. I teach bote inhibition, so dogs may mouth but they may not bite.

Dogs don't have hands, they explore with their mouths, especially puppies and this is what needs control.