Toilet Training

animallover12

Hi everyone as you all know i brought a 11 week old purebred chihuahua male i have named him Rascal. Well i have started toilet training but the thing is he will not use a kitty litter tray, or go outside. i take him outside every 20 minutes i know he needs to go cause he is searching for a place to do it inside. The problem is i take him outside and i stay out for about 10-15 minutes but he doesn't go to the toilet but then 5 minutes of being back inside he poos or pees on the floor, I then say NO in a firm voice and put him outside and say this is your toilet. I leave him outside and return inside to clean the mess he has made. How could i go about this? as i do not want to have to lock him all the time, He is with me all day follows me around everywhere. He also has diaheria which is probably caused by diet change, He was fed science puppy dog biscuits and puppy pal can food at the pet shop and breeders, When he came home we have been feeding pedigree puppy can food and lucky dog minis dog biscuits. So we have some Scourban that the vet gave as for his diaheria and he said to feed him cooked chicken or fish. His also farting alot and they do not smell the best could this be caused but his diet change? Any info and help on this matter would be great. Thanks in advance.

I know how you feel about the toilet training. Mine did the same, he won't do it on the newspaper inside and won't do it outside at all, but once he is back inside, within a few seconds, he'll wee on the rug :rolleyes: . Well...I just kept on doing it ( taking him outside every few hours and said 'no' when he did inside ), now he is doing it outside :rolleyes: , so I guess just be patient and persistent, your pup will do it, just a matter of time.

Sorry can't say much about diarrhoeria as mine never have that. Although I don't feed them canned food, just not a big fan of canned things, dunno what they put in it. I usually do puppy dry food and mix of carbs( rice/potato/sweet potato),protein( sometimes cook, sometimes raw ),vegies(carrot & peas) & fruit(apple is always a hit), 3 times a day for an 11 weeks old pup. If I was cooking some chicken, I will cut off a bit of meaty bone for them to nibble on. Fish would be good as well, but not as often, maybe once or twice a month, it will makes the coat shines as well. Offal is good as well, some gave it raw, but I always half cooked them. Dairy like yogurt also is a good snack option. For very hot summer days, I'll cube the fruits & freeze them, it makes a good healthy snack to cool them down, although you could have a bit of sticky floor to clean up afterward. I find that if pups has different types of food, they grow up to be less of a fusy eater. They still have their preferences, but they don't not have stomach problems as much as they get used to eat everything. So far, mine does not show any health problem, even the oldest, at 8 yo, never been sick not even for 1 day and still can jump down from the dining table to the floor with no problem. It's a bit more flexible and you can play around with anything that you have in the kitchen, good for the budget as well. Anyway, it's just a suggestion that works really well for mine.

Hope Rascall will get over his diarrhoeria quickly and good luck on the toilet training !!! :rofl:

When toilet training, I simply don't bring them back inside until they've done their business because I need to give that priase to them.

Considering puppies need to go on average every 30 minutes and after meals and waking up, it's not that long to have to wait around when you weigh it up against having a teenage dog that still isn't toilet trained.

If puppy has an upset tummy this can upset the whole toilet training rituals.

As CavNrott said, I'd also be changing the diet to something much more higher quality especially for a developing puppy.