Can I Use A Cat Crate For My Puppy?

marica

I just found out how much crates cost (!!!), and if at all possible I am hoping to delay purchasing one until my next pay (two weeks).

I have an airline approved good sized plastic cat crate. Would this be okay to use for my 8 week old Pointer puppy for a few weeks? Or should I just put the crate on credit? My pointer is coming home this weekend.

Also, can anyone recommend a place to buy a crate in Perth? The one at City Farmers was just under $200 - is this a reasonable price? (for a metal, collapsible crate).

Thank you!

We used a airline crate until Bailey was about 12 weeks old. He did well and was fine to change over to the wire crate without problems. I just wanted a bigger crate for Bailey but he was so little this was easiest way to go. We still use the airline crate to transport Bailey.

I would only use an airline crate if going somewhere/for travel. Otherwise your pup will be thinking - where am I going now? Because last time they were in a crate, they were being flown to another home.

IMO I would never put a pointer pup in a cat crate, not even a toy size pup. EXCEPT for travel in the car/vet.

The Warehouse has crates for MED from $45 and X LARGE around $70

http://www.thewarehouse.com.au/stores.htm

Thanks guys.

I did go to eBay, and I've bought a large metal crate for $79. As it turns out, my sister is in Melbourne for a wedding, so she will try to pick it up for me. If not, it's another $38 postage, but that is still heaps better than $200.

Zoe's regular crate is a plastic airline approved crate. I don't think it matters which type you use. I also use it for Kaos when travelling - not because of the type of crate but because Kaos's wire crate doesn't fit in the car when assembled.

I think a cat crate would be too small for a pointer pup.