Amstaff Pup With Limp

ILuvAmstaffs

Hope Diesel is doing well and recovering from the op, did they end up doing both elbows or just the worst one!! Poor boy will probably have to be a bucket head for the next week or so, i think that is what upset Mallee the most - wearing the bucket and not the actually operation :thumbsup:.

Hugs to poor little Diesel, and hoping for a speedy recovery!!!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Diesel has had his op & is home again! They only needed to do the right elbow. Phew!

He was so happy to see me when I picked him up, but I got the impression that they had treated him really well, so he wasn't too freaked out or anything. He's getting around on the leg really well & the limp is no worse than it was pre-op.

The surgeon seems really quite positive about what his future may hold. She said best case senario, he won't have a limp (except after heavy exercise) and worse case it will be about half as bad as it was. So fingers crossed.

I also asked if I needed to keep his weight down & she said that he shouldn't lose weight, but to decrease his calorie intake (not his protein) by putting him on an adult version of Eukanuba to slow his growth & hopefully he will replace some of the fat with muscle. I told her I had been giving him the large breed puppy for the last month or so & she said that the Large Breed Puppy isn't too bad as it's lower in energy than the small breed or medium breed, so it's a relief that I haven't been doing anything TOO wrong.

He need 6-8 weeks of limited activity (house bound & on-leash to go to loo) then more x-rays to see that the ulna is healing & the joint is falling into place. After that, he's back onto a course of 4 cartrophen shots & when they finish I can start him on glucosamine.

Here are some pics of him this afternoon:

08122006064.jpg

08122006066.jpg

DSCF2445.jpg

DSCF2446.jpg

Aww so glad he is home and that all has gone well :thumbsup: Yay i am sure you are wrapped that its all over...

Poor little man will be so itchy with all that hair to grow back, i see they have shaved him all the way up to his neck, poor guy.

Good luck with the confinement, we found the hardest part was after about the first fortnight, when they start to feel really good and want to do zoomies and all..... :o

Its amazing to think that they have had a section of bone removed, almost like a broken leg and can still get around no worries hey.

Good luck and thanks for the pics

I was so shocked when I picked him up. He came running out, dragging the vet behind him, jumped all over me & even got in the car himself!

You wouldn't know he's had an operation, he still gets the zoomies, so we have to try & calm him down, which isn't easy. lol

We are so relieved his on the way to getting better & the vet has a very positive outlook on the result, so fingers crossed, he will be almost good as new in a few months time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Malleerr. Diesel had his stiches out yesterday. It took 3 people to remove them, 1 holding him, 1 sitting on him & 1 to remove them. lol He also had the 1st of 4 x weekly cartrophen shots.

He's doing fantastic. The limp is getting so much better & unless you saw the cuts, you'd never guess he'd had such a major op. The tricky bit is keeping him inside while he heals.... not easy when he gets the zoomies. lol

As of yesterday though, we are letting him out in the yard during the day. He actually seems a lot quieter doing that than he was while locked inside.

He looks fantastic :walkdog: you must be so happy... they are really clean nice straight cuts so they should heal over really well and start to disappear. Mal's still seem to be shrinking all the time, you can bearly see them now.

The dreaded zoomies hey, Mallee was constantly having them - in the end i would just shut my eyes and try to ignore them, they just get soo wound up with all their energy hey.....

Glad all is going really well for you. Do you know if you are still going to be able to show him with the little scars ( am sure you said you wanted to show him, but i could be wrong)???..???

It is just so good to know that from here on in, he will just get better :D And, yeah, when they get the zoomies, sometimes you just have to turn a blind eye so to speak. The vet said that he can't really damage anything, just make it sore & inflammed which will mean it takes longer to heal. But when I watch him, eventhough he may be zooming, he's keeping the weight off it. So fingers crossed, it will all be good.

As for the showing. Yes, I was really hoping that I could show him, but as ED is hereditary I am unable to do that now. :walkdog: Hopefully though, I will be able to get another Amstaff as a show dog when Diesel grows up though. I've already started working on my OH. lool

• 5 weeks later...