A Faint Heart Murmur In 6wk Old Baby

4uKaiser

what does this mean exactly. we just lost our gorgeous boy Kaiser to a very aggressive cancer (kidney) 9 weeks ago and we just found out that our new baby has a very faint heart murmur. he is 7wks old 191106. we are frightened beyond words to lose another baby????

You just have to keep an eye out on it.

Could just be a puppy murmur and they grow out of it. At 7 weeks and being very faint it more then likely will go away. You need to get the vet to check him at the next vaccination. If the murmur is still there check at 6 months and then get an ultrasound once old enough.

Question have you bred this pup or is it from a breeder? Just wondering how you are in possession of a 7 week old pup.

4uKaiser

and we just found out that our new baby has a very faint heart murmur. he is 7wks old 191106

Get him checked again at 12 weeks, chances are it will have disappeared. Sometimes, if they are checked following a meal, a murmur can be heard.

Advise the breeder of the murmur. If it persists at 12 weeks, I am sure a reputable breeder would take the dog back and give you a refund or another pup.

My cocker had a bad double sided murmur at 6 weeks, and still had it at 12 weeks. He is now almost 6 years old, and it has not altered his quality of life at all, or interfered with his activity levels. He lives a normal doggy life. I suppose he may need medication in old age, but so far, so good.

Try not to worry too much, but please do speak to the breeder. Even if you wish to keep the dog, the breeder would probably like to know, for their own information.

post-438-1163769328_thumb.jpg

You just have to keep an eye out on it.

Could just be a puppy murmur and they grow out of it. At 7 weeks and being very faint it more then likely will go away. You need to get the vet to check him at the next vaccination. If the murmur is still there check at 6 months and then get an ultrasound once old enough.

Question have you bred this pup or is it from a breeder? Just wondering how you are in possession of a 7 week old pup.

thank you for your reply. No we don't have him at home yet. he comes home next wkend 251106 at 8wks (this was found by the breeders vet at 6wks) we are paying $900 for him and we were concerned. He is an absolutely gorgeous german shepherd puppy (we lost our last boy - a german shepherd at 17mth from an aggressive form of cancer) we my husband and I were devasted. we have had lengthy conversations with 2 vets and both aren't concerned so we are absolutely thrilled and terribly excited about 'Sultan's ' arrival home next weekend.

I am truly grateful for your reply I have never been on this chat forum before. so thank you very much

regards

Karyn :laugh::eek:

Sounds like the breeder is being supportive?

Make sure you have plans in place if for some reason the murmur does not go away( eg will the breeder assist with possible medication costs since the condition was know to them prior to your collection of your baby? will the breeder refund $$ if the conditions worsen etc). these are things you need to look at Prior to bringing the puppy into your possession.

Good luck and God willing all will go well :laugh:

Hey Karyn,

GSD's are great. Hope all works out for you and your hubby. Make sure you come on here bit more, we love GSD's so make sure to post some pics. If you ever have a problem no matter how silly it might seem feel free to ask on here. People are really friendly and always happy to help :laugh:

So yeh WELCOME :thumbsup:

Barbs

Well I for one will not be happy till I see PICTURES lots and lots of PICTURES ok? :thumbsup:

Go with what the breeder and the vet says about the heart mummur. Some pups do grow out of it. Just make sure that you get your own vet to check the pup!

Good luck with GSD puppy. I am sure you know that GSD's are the best dogs in the world......not that I am biased at all :laugh::rofl: :D

Oh yeah edited to add Welcome to the board got carried away with the GSD thing!

Edited by Ambervale

I have never had a dog with a heart mumor but my old horse developed at heart mumor at 15. He is 18 now. The vet said it shouldn't worry him provided he doesn't go doing cross country, racing or endurance which at his age and being in retirement he certainly wasn't going to be doing that!

More than likely the puppy will grow out of it. However, i would have something in writing from the breeder as to what you have agreed on.

I have bred a puppy that had what turned out to be an innocent murmur (detected at 3 weeks and then gone at 6 weeks already), and i removed the pup from sale at the time, and would have kept her here until i knew what the problem was had the murmur continued. I guess i'm trying to say that i would be wary of forking out $900 without some sort of written assurance from the breeder that you will be able to return the puppy or get some sort of compensation/discount should the murmur continue.

Edited by goldielover

My 5 month old puppy was taken to the emergency vet last week for a loose tooth that wouldn't stop bleeding. The vet (not our normal vet) detected a murmur that our regular vet never did. She also told us puppies can grow out of it and she told us to keep an eye on it and consider x-rays down the road. We were told that he would be self-limiting in his activity and his murmur was graded at a 1-2. Our puppy was lying in the grass yesterday afternoon, let out a long howl and was gone before we got him to the car. I will never simply "keep an eye on" something again.

Edited by marcosmom

It is good that the breeder is honest about this but for

$900 I would want a puppy without a heart murmur.

Maybe best to wait for another puppy.

Having said this I lost my chihuaha at 16 years of age.

He had a mild heart murmur diagnosed at 3 months so

it wasn't anything drastic.

If you go ahead make sure you get your guarantees in writing.

I assume your puppy is for pet only not to be bred from.

I dont know if that borderlines on unethical, or if I am just in a grumpy mood today, but to sell a pup that people will get attached to only for even a possibility of it having serious problems I dont understand.

What is then the point of testing parents, I thought it was so that things like this are avoided.

"Oh, yes parents are health tested (therefore we are responsible breeders) and are both health checked, but guess what - you puppy is not so well......