Prevention Of Outside Chewing...

LilyW

My golden x rotti will be heading outside this week to get used to spending time in the backyard while we are at work. Just wondering if there are any products i can use to prevent her from chewing our deck area and stairs outside, i know not all dogs do it, but i have heard that there are some products you can buy to help them stay away.

Any other advice you can offer for leaving a puppy outside for the first time?? :thumbsup:

try it while you are home for an hr or 2!! that way you can check that they arent getting up to mischeif - also make sure pup has a nice big juicy bone to chew instead.

personally i dont use any chilli or tabasco sauce which i have heard can be a deterrant but my furkids love the spicyness and chew more!!

try it while you are home for an hr or 2!! that way you can check that they arent getting up to mischeif - also make sure pup has a nice big juicy bone to chew instead.

personally i dont use any chilli or tabasco sauce which i have heard can be a deterrant but my furkids love the spicyness and chew more!!

Thanks Akitaowner, we tend to put her outside when we are home and she does seem to love chewing grass and some plants - which the vet said is a retriever thing. But i know many people with dogs that have had the chewing of decks etc, so was hoping to prevent that - but i guess there is a chance she might not even be interested in it.

Whats the best bone to get for a puppy?

Unless you block access to things you don't want chewed, there is probably little you can do about it for now. The pup will eventually settle and grow out of it, but for now make sure there is plenty of dog type chewable things in the yard to keep the pup busy.

Pay a visit to your local pet supplies store and look for things like kongs and treat balls that you can stuff with goodies, and big rawhide chewy rolls are great.

Build a sandpit and bury treats in it, always good fun and teaches them to dig in the right spot instead of the wrong spot.

Big marrow bones are great. Get the butcher to cut them in half so the pup can get at the good stuff inside, but keeep an eye out with big bones lying around the yard, as depending on the time of year, they can attract bees which the pup may snap at and cause a sting in the mouth. They can cause swelling and block airways.

Make sure the pup has a comfortable bed with plenty of shade and access to fresh water.

BTW I had a pup that used to alternate between digging a golf course and chewing on the house itself. I gave up trying to maintain a decent garden.

He lost interest around 12 months. :thumbsup:

Unless you block access to things you don't want chewed, there is probably little you can do about it for now. The pup will eventually settle and grow out of it, but for now make sure there is plenty of dog type chewable things in the yard to keep the pup busy.

Pay a visit to your local pet supplies store and look for things like kongs and treat balls that you can stuff with goodies, and big rawhide chewy rolls are great.

Build a sandpit and bury treats in it, always good fun and teaches them to dig in the right spot instead of the wrong spot.

Big marrow bones are great. Get the butcher to cut them in half so the pup can get at the good stuff inside, but keeep an eye out with big bones lying around the yard, as depending on the time of year, they can attract bees which the pup may snap at and cause a sting in the mouth. They can cause swelling and block airways.

Make sure the pup has a comfortable bed with plenty of shade and access to fresh water.

BTW I had a pup that used to alternate between digging a golf course and chewing on the house itself. I gave up trying to maintain a decent garden.

He lost interest around 12 months. :thumbsup:

Great, thanks so much all for the advice. I was going to look into the sandpit thing, have heard thats a great idea. I know she is going to distroy the garden, not much you can do when you work - its ok if you can watch them 24/7 but for some people that just isn't possible, so i am prepared for that. Will keep my fingers crossed what we leave for her is enough entertainment. I take her out for a bit of a walk mornings and nights, so i hope that gets out a bit of energy, but i guess puppies have plenty of reserves when it comes to energy.

Thanks again....

<My pup was chewing the corners off my wooden coffee table, so sprayed it with the $15 bottle of 'no-chew' that the pet store sold me. He loved it! Licked it off before getting back to the chewing.>

Yes I had a pup who licked the stuff off as it ran down the door frame :hug: ugh! Aerogard works well for many - I'm yet to find a dog that will chew something I've sprayed with that.

As far as which bones i would recommend dried roo tails, which can be picked up from most pet shops, my girl loves them and theyre not as messy as raw to be left in the yard for a while. I also found it take her about a week to completely strip them - whereas she take about a hour with raw!! :hug:!!

my girl has been chewing my window frames so maybe ill try the aeroguard!! (my boy licked all the 'no chew' off everything it was put on - what is with that stuff - ive yet to find someone that had any success with it! surely thats false advertising!

As far as which bones i would recommend dried roo tails, which can be picked up from most pet shops, my girl loves them and theyre not as messy as raw to be left in the yard for a while. I also found it take her about a week to completely strip them - whereas she take about a hour with raw!! :hug:!!

my girl has been chewing my window frames so maybe ill try the aeroguard!! (my boy licked all the 'no chew' off everything it was put on - what is with that stuff - ive yet to find someone that had any success with it! surely thats false advertising!

Thanks for the advice all, i will make a mental note not to buy the 'no chew' and just try some other products if she does start to chew. Still yet to get a kennel, so once we purchase that she will go outside - i am already stressed for her - i know she is a dog and will be ok, yet here i am at work and i have left the cooler on at home so she doesn't get too hot today... best to get her outside sooner than later though...

Thanks for the advice on the bones etc aswell, will look into some dried things aswell.

No Chew has worked for me on all but one dog (Labrador) he didn't bat an eyelid.

Can you take the dog out for a walk before you go, tire pup out and it'll be calmer.

Big bones (if old enough to chew unsupervised), paddling pools, sandpits, kongs, treat balls....you get the drift ;) If you get a sandpit or paddling pool don't forget to teach the dog how to use by playing games and hidding food in them :(

You could also use some rescue remedy if needbe.

With our fosters we always do test leaves to see how they will handle it and pretend we're not home starting at 5 minutes then up to an hour over a 2 days period, allows the dog to know you'll return as well.

Remember don't make a fuss when leaving the dog or coming home :(

Get rid of your stress because you're going to stress your dog out.

Edited by sas

No Chew has worked for me on all but one dog (Labrador) he didn't bat an eyelid.

Can you take the dog out for a walk before you go, tire pup out and it'll be calmer.

Big bones (if old enough to chew unsupervised), paddling pools, sandpits, kongs, treat balls....you get the drift :thumbsup: If you get a sandpit or paddling pool don't forget to teach the dog how to use by playing games and hidding food in them :cheer:

You could also use some rescue remedy if needbe.

With our fosters we always do test leaves to see how they will handle it and pretend we're not home starting at 5 minutes then up to an hour over a 2 days period, allows the dog to know you'll return as well.

Remember don't make a fuss when leaving the dog or coming home :D

Get rid of your stress because you're going to stress your dog out.

Thanks Sas, great advice. We are leaving it till the weekend to put her outside and are going to do what you said, leaving her for different periods of time. She spends some time outsdie when we are home already, but there are some areas we still need to block off before we put her out for the day (like under the house, which she seems to love).

I assume places like Bunnings have the sandpit shells??

i found toys r us or bigger toy shops have the pools/pits. probe get them cheaper atm coz of the time of year i was looking in the middle of winter :thumbsup:!!

my dogs love under the house but i blocked it off as i dont like them in the mud all the time :cheer: i think coz its cooler. mine dont have a kennel i dont think they would use it! they do have shelter under the eves of the house should it rain or be too sunny.

i found toys r us or bigger toy shops have the pools/pits. probe get them cheaper atm coz of the time of year i was looking in the middle of winter :thumbsup:!!

my dogs love under the house but i blocked it off as i dont like them in the mud all the time :cheer: i think coz its cooler. mine dont have a kennel i dont think they would use it! they do have shelter under the eves of the house should it rain or be too sunny.

Thanks - might go and have a look at my lunch break, see what i can find..

We moved into our house a couple of months ago and the last owners had a dog and left so much crap under the house, so she constantly comes out of there with spider webs on her face and chewing something she found - so it is our biggest concern.

We have a spot in our yard that the last owners had a cubbyhouse in, which they took with them - so i would like to get a shade tent thing and the sandpit etc and set her up an area for her..

sonds like our house - its a rental and loads of stuff underneath! not to mention when it rains there seems to be a large pit which fills with horrible rancid water - which of course they cant resist!!

sonds like you have a plan im sure your baby will be fine - also make sure gates are covered so people cant see in and she cant see out that way she wont be disturbed by things going on outside and people cant see her (i was paranoid someone would steel my boy at my last house!)

sonds like our house - its a rental and loads of stuff underneath! not to mention when it rains there seems to be a large pit which fills with horrible rancid water - which of course they cant resist!!

sonds like you have a plan im sure your baby will be fine - also make sure gates are covered so people cant see in and she cant see out that way she wont be disturbed by things going on outside and people cant see her (i was paranoid someone would steel my boy at my last house!)

We brought this house and the owners are meant to get rid of everything, but obviously they didn't - we are just going to have to get under the deck and house and rake as much up as possible.

That is what i am stressed about, we live next door to a reserve so i would hate someone to see her - but our fences are fairly high - we have blocked the gap that was under the fence gate - but besides that the house is secure, so fingers crossed all is fine. There is a dog behind us though that is fairly neglected and barks all the time - it is really frustrating cause when i take her out for the toilet it seems to upset her but hopefully she will just get used too it and ignore....

Edited by LilyW

To give you an idea, this is what we have at our place:

backyard.jpg

That looks great, and i guess all those things you can get quite cheaply - your puppies are very lucky...

Will have to look into that, especially for summer as there isn't too much shade in our yard, so that an alternative..