Slow Recovery From Anaesthetic

Shakti

oh no!! poor Ben, I hope the tests come back ok..... please give him a big hug for me!!!

as dogbesotted has asked, why is he on a course of cortisone??

sorry, off topic I know, but how is that gorgeous Leonburger girl of yours going???

He was put on a course of cortisone for a pollen allergy which left him raw in places due to the constant scratching and smelling horribly of yeast. He had previously been booked in for neutering and I didnt think (and the vet didnt say) I would have been better off waiting till the treatment was finished before going ahead with his desexing - stupid me!! :)

Hope is great and no longer all lumpy-looking!! She looks pretty gorgeous though i say so myself!!

Edited by Brooke

anaesthetics can be tricky, it all depends on what drugs your vet used for induction and for the GA. some are metabolised thru the liver, others thru fat, etc....so many varients. plus if your dog was stressed by the experience that can also contribute to the grogginess post op - especially if he was hyper and they gave him more than the norm to calm him down. and i hate to say this but from experience, most GP vets do their surgeries mid-day and not early in the morning - for all you know they could have done him at 3pm - but as long as he can protect his airway, is oxygenating and not having any other complications, your vet can still send him home 'groggy'. see how he goes, keep him comfy and warm, make sure he drinks water and if he can hold down some food let him eat. hopefully he will be back to normal by morning.

best of luck!

He was put on a course of cortisone for a pollen allergy which left him raw in places due to the constant scratching and smelling horribly of yeast. He had previously been booked in for neutering and I didnt think (and the vet didnt say) I would have been better off waiting till the treatment was finished before going ahead with his desexing - stupid me!! :cheer:

Hope is great and no longer all lumpy-looking!! She looks pretty gorgeous though i say so myself!!

awww! poor baby, he sure is going through the wars right now!

so glad to hear Hope is going well, I found it so hard to tear myself away from her at that Morrisset show!!! what a stunner....

DBS - Is it possible that the cortisone treatment this dog was on could have an affect on its recovery out of anaesthesia?

good point, would be worth a phone call to the vet to discuss....