Desexing

karen135

Can I ask if you know the figure of how many dogs all together are PTS in all of Australia per year? My own curiosity really.....

I don't know of a central place that keeps this info, but for RSPCA (for example) it publishes its stats on the website. It's approx 50% of dogs they take in and more than that for cats. :)

Surely this info would be available from individual councils somewhere?

Perhaps the State gov't depts responsible for local gov't also keep such stats together?

But if you ask me, they don't want to make such information *too public* b/c then they'd have to deal with the backlash...the pounds aren't to blame here, the dog owners are. :laugh:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Karen

i am only trying to do the best by my dog and now i have people jumping down my throat

Have to disagree with you - most are giving you advice, with perhaps one (or two) jumping down your throat!

Unfortunately, there are people who ought not to be put into some situations, because they allow the situation to over-rule their common sense and wider view, becoming quite pedantic and Hiteresque on their pet subjects, to the point of not being able even to debate a point impartially, or to acknowledge other points of view, or research which does not agree with their particular viewpoint. Which viewpoint is often formed by very limited circumstances and experience.

Then, lacking empathy or judgement, they attempt to ram their view down the throats of others, which leads new posters like you to say "jumping down my throat". Which is unfortunate, as a lot of others on the forum have a great deal of expertise and experience. They also continually research canine matters which are of interest to them, and are happy to share.

So, take the information you want, and ignore anyone you see as "jumping down your throat". You'll find most reasonable and helpful, particularly some of the more experienced owners. :cheer: