Dried Roo And Pig's Ears

Diesel the Weasel

My puppy (a 16wk MS) loves pig's ears and I have just discovered dried kangaroo, which he loved so much, he ae the whole thing in one sitting! (Took him about 1 1/2 hours!)

I am wondering how often you can give these to puppies (and adult dogs as well)? Is one a day ok - it is good entertainment while I am at work, or is this too much?

Also, should they replace a meal if he is eating them in one go?

Edited by Diesel the Weasel

Sounds as though Diesel has recovered from his recent ordeal! :)

I'm not sure about the dried kangaroo - I know kangaroo meat is low in fat. Can be good for dogs who can't tolerate other types of red meat. As for the pigs ears, I thought they were high in fat, and therefore, I would be very careful in giving them to a MS, as this breed is prone to pancreatitis.

Will be interested in others thoughts.

Now where are the recent photos?? :rofl:

Diesel is soooo much better! He did a sudden recovery over the weekend and is now back to his usual self! Went to the vets yesterday for his 3rd vacc, and the vet was really pleased with how he is recovering!

He has only had 2 pigs ears ever! He takes weeks to get through them, which was why I was suprised he ate the roo so quickly!

Having trouble posting photos - the files are too large. Will try to play around with it on the weekend......

Hi DtW

at our local petshop you can get 2 sizes of roo tail (cut longer or shorter) i always buy the bigger ones! they are about 10inches long and mine tend to have few sessions over a week with the same bone.

At the moment i am giving 1 large roo tail to each once a week (Rogue has been teething) and mine arent really into pigs ears but i would have thought every couple of days would be ok.

i dont think the pigs ears have much nutritional value but the roo bone do altho they tend not to have a huge amount of meat on so i still feed normally.

You could give the roo tails everyday but they might get bored of them after a while - roo is generally a very good meat to feed dogs in smaller quantities

:rofl:

Mine likes the pigs ears, but they do last a long time. I have tried the roo tail, but seems to be a bit too hard to eat at this stage? (he is 16 weeks). The dried roo meat straps (about 30cm) can disappear in one day!

Good to know that it is a lean meat though - will get more of them intead of the pigs ears in the future.

My puppy eats pigs ears too. Just 2 things:

1) They are very high in fat

2) they can stain around the mouth (more of an issue with my Samoyed lol).

I give him a pigs ear every 2nd day, alternating with a meaty bone every 2nd day.

Edited by samoyedman

;)

Hey like to ask where do you guys get your pigs ears? I've been buying in small quantities (20 pieces) so far, now like to get one whole bulk at a time, maybe a hundred or something. And I noticed there are two sizes, some shops sell smaller ears and some bigger.

Edited by flycow

Sorry flycow, I am not much help - mine doesn't eat them that quickly so I am only buying a few at a time. I have seen a website that sells all sorts of things like that (ears and other dried meats) in bulk, but can't remember what the site is called. Maybe someone else out there knows it? Maybe google pigs ears!