First Day At Sutherland Shire Dog Training Club

Thank you Norskgra for introducing such a great place to me.

This morning my wife and I took Gino (our 5 month old border collie dog) to Sutherland Shire Dog Training Club, this is the last training day of 2006, but it is also the first day for us at this club. We have never seen so many dog owners with their lovely dogs although Pam (president) said today is not many people there ;)

We met Mrsdog and Bev, they gave much help which are all we need, many many thanks to them. :love:

Also, all the people we met today are very nice, they are very easy going and they were happy to answer our questions and even the questions were quite silly. :clap:

My wife, I and Gino, of course, had a wonderful morning for sure, its a place really worth to go! :)

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to all the dog lovers, and good luck with everything!

Cheers,

Tony

ps, sorry for my bad English if there is anything wrong, as I am not a English speaking person! :clap:

Edited by tony.newlife

Ya, great bunch down there. Pam is very good at what she does. I went down there for a time with my black shep Nalu. The trainers are very helpful but my dog was just to high in drive for that kind of group training. She has child development issues.. She wants to kill or play with all dogs big or small. I may go back just as soon as i can get her under control. may see ya there. good luck and have fun

Thank you Norskgra for introducing such a great place to me.

This morning my wife and I took Gino (our 5 month old border collie dog) to Sutherland Shire Dog Training Club, this is the last training day of 2006, but it is also the first day for us at this club. We have never seen so many dog owners with their lovely dogs although Pam (president) said today is not many people there ;)

We met Mrsdog and Bev, they gave much help which are all we need, many many thanks to them. :love:

Also, all the people we met today are very nice, they are very easy going and they were happy to answer our questions and even the questions were quite silly. :clap:

My wife, I and Gino, of course, had a wonderful morning for sure, its a place really worth to go! :)

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to all the dog lovers, and good luck with everything!

Cheers,

Tony

ps, sorry for my bad English if there is anything wrong, as I am not a English speaking person! :clap:

• 1 month later...

sutherland is a great training club. Glad you like it. i am an instructor down there but unfortunately i am a vet student and have to work at clinics on sunday mornings now and dont get to come down! MrsDog is a great trainer and you should also meet a lad called Karen she is great... Say HI to all puppies for me!!!

Perhaps Sutherland Shire Dog Club people would like say which class they are in, who their dog is and post a photo of their pooches (with or without their owners :eek: ) so we can keep an eye out for each other at training and say :mad

I'll go first:

Currently in Class 2

Dog: Stormy - 18 month old female "lurcher" (deerhound x greyhound we think)

post-5381-1171082439_thumb.jpg

Edited by squeak

Squeak I am still carrying those books around in the car for you. Monday, Wednesday, Friday or Sunday - please come get whenever it suits you.

This morning I was still trying to organise enough instructors for the big influx of new puppies. Gotta luv "em. Then graded seven of them out of kindergarten - too smart by half! Some of the puppies were catching on so fast their owners will have a job keeping up. Don't you just love it when the dog looks at the handler as if to say "I think this is what you want me to do, okay." Sometimes they are just a step or two ahead of us. Now who is supposed to have the brains around here.

I luv it, I luv it, I luv it - Sunday mornings are such fun. (Still don't like getting up early on Sunday though.)

Noels.

Squeak I am still carrying those books around in the car for you. Monday, Wednesday, Friday or Sunday - please come get whenever it suits you.

This morning I was still trying to organise enough instructors for the big influx of new puppies. Gotta luv "em. Then graded seven of them out of kindergarten - too smart by half! Some of the puppies were catching on so fast their owners will have a job keeping up. Don't you just love it when the dog looks at the handler as if to say "I think this is what you want me to do, okay." Sometimes they are just a step or two ahead of us. Now who is supposed to have the brains around here.

I luv it, I luv it, I luv it - Sunday mornings are such fun. (Still don't like getting up early on Sunday though.)

Noels.

I looked for you after training today, but totally forgot about the books! I'll drop by training on Monday night and grab them and many thanks for trusting me with them.

I was wondering how you were going to organise enough instructors with the huge amount of puppies joining last week. I thought it was curious that Class 2 had three instructors instead of our normal two... where I'm sure that kindy/Class 1 could have used the extra person. And I wish I had one of those dogs that looked at me asking me if what they were doing was right... I can dream can't I??? I seem to have one who excels only in stubborness!!!!

I was quite surprised that there were no Class 2 gradings this week, as some people have been there for quite a while and I thought that they would have been ready :laugh: (Not us though :D )

Oooh how do we join the Sutherland Shire Dog Training Club? We're in Bundeena and have two 5 month old (siblings - hard, I know) x breed Rescue pups, golden retreiver x lab x something else. The pups are really quite smart it's OH & I that need training. Actually, our Vet recommened that we contact a lady called Karen for in home training - wonder if the same lady.

ETA: the vet recommended in home training as the pups get car sick, but I think they're be a bit better now as they've grown and can see out of the windows.

Edited by benny123

:laugh: benny. It's really simple to join the club. Turn up at Waratah Oval, Sutherland (next to the cycle track and near Loftus TAFE) and head to the club house. Training starts at 8.00 am on Sunday morning at the moment (since it is currently daylight saving). You'll need to allow about 15-30 mins to fill in a membership form and pay your fees and get sorted - best to allow too much time than not enough. The first week you'll be in "kindy" then after that you'll be in grade one. Weekly ground fees are $3.00, but I can't remember what the membership fees are, but I know that they are somewhere on the web page, so here's a link for you. Hope to see you there.

Sutherland Shire Dog Club web page

:laugh: benny. It's really simple to join the club. Turn up at Waratah Oval, Sutherland (next to the cycle track and near Loftus TAFE) and head to the club house. Training starts at 8.00 am on Sunday morning at the moment (since it is currently daylight saving). You'll need to allow about 15-30 mins to fill in a membership form and pay your fees and get sorted - best to allow too much time than not enough. The first week you'll be in "kindy" then after that you'll be in grade one. Weekly ground fees are $3.00, but I can't remember what the membership fees are, but I know that they are somewhere on the web page, so here's a link for you. Hope to see you there.

Sutherland Shire Dog Club web page

Many thanks Squeak, that's great. So I guess we should plan to be there around 7.30ish.

That seems awfully early doesn't it???!! Perhaps PM MrsDog who is an instructor there. If you do turn up at 7.30am you will at least get to see some of the instructors training their own dogs, which I think is always worthwhile watching.

And as soon as daylight saving finishes, training goes back to a slightly more acceptable 8.30am start :laugh:

Thanks again Squeak. I looked at the website so perhaps I can download the form and have that completed when we arrive. I'll read a bit more and see what we need to take in terms of collars/leads/treats etc.

Here are the pups, Spud (reddish brown boy) and Beanie (blonde girl):

post-13177-1171227363_thumb.jpg

Hi sas

I didn't see the gorgeous guy this week - however, doesn't mean he wasn't there. I'm in Class 2, which means that we are on the most distant field, which actually sits below the other ones - means we can focus on our class, but unfortunately means we don't get to see to many other people.

I'll keep an eye out for him, as I'm going to go to the clicker class next week (if it's on) and it's near class 1, which is the class he'd be in.

With a striking black face like that, I think he'd be hard to miss. Also, being a smart working dog, he'll probably be in Class 2 with us in no time at all :confused:

Thanks again Squeak. I looked at the website so perhaps I can download the form and have that completed when we arrive. I'll read a bit more and see what we need to take in terms of collars/leads/treats etc.

:confused: Downloading and filling out the form is an excellent idea.

And Sutherland seems to be pretty flexible as far as collars go - flat collar, check, martingale/limited slip collars are all fine. Different instructors seem to have different preferences, but go with what you're comfortable with. You'll also see a fair number of head halters there as well. There seems to be a preference towards nylon/cotton webbing leads, but that's only my observation.

And as far as treats go - the yummier and smellier the better. I use cooked chicken sauage cut into tiny, tiny pieces (the size of my dog's nail). Other people use "Nature's Gift" treats, frankfurts or roast chicken. Just remember it is going to be a really distracting place for your dogs, so you need to use the "best" treats you can get your hands on.

Gorgeous dogs, BTW.

May take some miniscule pieces of sausage of some type (something different) as they only get recommended dog food like - Nutro kibble, chicken mince, pet mince, meaty bones etc., so sausgae is a real treat. As you can imagine, when we took rescue siblings we knew they'd be more difficult to train than a single dog or non related dogs as they are so into each other. A friend, who is also a dog trainer, warned us against getting two but we did it anyway as they needed homes. Hopefully they'll do well.

BTW, your dog is stunning. I've always loved hounds, wolfie x scruffies in particular. Talked to a wolfhound breeder at length last year while researching the breed as a future family member, before discovering all the dogs in rescue in need of homes.

Well, we went to Sutherland Shire Dog Training this morning (kindergarten) as it was great. The pups (ours) were a bit all over the place but, we've been putting into practice what we learned this morning, and there's improvement already.

Looking very forward to next week - who says you can't teach old dogs (being hubby & me) new tricks? And the pups are learning too!

Good on you. Wish I had a chance to meet up with you, but I was busy with last week's new pups.

This coming weekend I will be in Canberra for the Flyball Comps at the Canberra Royal, so maybe will catch up with you the weekend after.

Keep up the good work.

Noels.