Bite Work

1.7 ANKC Policy on Attack Training

It was resolved that all ANKC Member Bodies confirm their commitment to the ANKC Policy on Attack Training (adopted 8/8/01) which reads as follows –

“The Australian National Kennel Council and its Member Bodies totally and unequivocally oppose the practice of training of a dog to attack humans or any other animals, or of causing dogs to fight. We totally support any State or Federal laws that would outlaw this practice. Such practice is an offence against Member Bodies’ Regulations.

Whilst appreciating the rivalry within the pack, we expect all members to have their dogs under their control, particularly whilst in public places. They should endeavour to ensure that their animals do not participate in a one on one, or many on one, aggressive act at any time”

In addition, no Member Body is to support an application for affiliation from an organization, which promotes any activity involving “bite work” contrary to the letter ort spirit of the above ANKC Policy.

All Member Bodies are advised that “ The Working German Shepherd Dog Club of Australia ", and " The Working German Shepherd Association of Australia " -- the latter we understand was formally known as " The Australian United Schutzhund Clubs " are in no way affiliated with the German Shepherd Dog Council of Australia.

1.7 ANKC Policy on Attack Training

It was resolved that all ANKC Member Bodies confirm their commitment to the ANKC Policy on Attack Training (adopted 8/8/01) which reads as follows –

“The Australian National Kennel Council and its Member Bodies totally and unequivocally oppose the practice of training of a dog to attack humans or any other animals, or of causing dogs to fight. We totally support any State or Federal laws that would outlaw this practice. Such practice is an offence against Member Bodies’ Regulations.

Whilst appreciating the rivalry within the pack, we expect all members to have their dogs under their control, particularly whilst in public places. They should endeavour to ensure that their animals do not participate in a one on one, or many on one, aggressive act at any time”

In addition, no Member Body is to support an application for affiliation from an organization, which promotes any activity involving “bite work” contrary to the letter ort spirit of the above ANKC Policy.

All Member Bodies are advised that “ The Working German Shepherd Dog Club of Australia ", and " The Working German Shepherd Association of Australia " -- the latter we understand was formally known as " The Australian United Schutzhund Clubs " are in no way affiliated with the German Shepherd Dog Council of Australia.

Thank's for that J.J.....

Hi Jeff - Am I correct in thinking that although the ANKC don't support it, they are not able to prevent their members from doing it? Nor are they able to discriminate in any way, against those who choose to join these (or any other) clubs.

in theory as the ANKC are a private club and it is part of there rules and regulations they can suspend your membership for not following there guidelines.

practically they would have a hard time proving it....

edit to add: i am not a member of the ankc,

and does anyone know if someone has been banned / suspended for undertaking in protection training?

Edited by Jeff Jones

Awhile back in Oz there was a second working gundog club formed that in many ways is in opposition to ANKC (they offer trials etc for working gundogs). My understanding, although it didn't happen to me personally, is that the ANKC (or prehaps it was only the VCA) threatened members/judges joining rival organisation would be banned from ANKC/VCA events. It went to court, ANKC/VCA lost. Now there are many people running their dogs in both organisations. Which is why I figured, they might not like it, but unless its illegal they can't stop you.

Hi Jeff - Am I correct in thinking that although the ANKC don't support it, they are not able to prevent their members from doing it? Nor are they able to discriminate in any way, against those who choose to join these (or any other) clubs.

If people wanted surley they could just send their dog's to board and train for protection type work !!... i dont think something like that could be stopped , but it's working with your dog as a team that i enjoy so doing that is pointless to me..

Its hard for the ANKC to promote or support bitework. They have to (theoretically) be a neutral body and it would only take one bitework trained animal to rip someone a new one and the ANKC would look really bad. Plus there is not a consistant standard with how people train, I have seen people table train, push dogs into defence too early, intimidate etc and create a not quite right working animal. Sure it will work but I wouldnt want to be its handler.

I would never send my dog away for protection work unless you intend it to go board for months. Its something that has to be done with the handler if you want a good strong relationship with your animals. Both of mine do protection and we take it at their pace, not a set training timeline.

ETA Jeff i need to send you some photos of my bitch doing full suit, tried it for the first time and the floodgates have opened! Amazing how much more confident she is after one training session

Edited by Nekhbet

ETA Jeff i need to send you some photos of my bitch doing full suit, tried it for the first time and the floodgates have opened! Amazing how much more confident she is after one training session

:happydance2:

good work :D

look at her pedigree im not surprised she likes the suit, its in her blood :mad

lets just hope the dogue hasnt been watching the malinois and think he can be a flier

too late for that ... he now launches himself thinking he can actually make it ... 55kg of muscle trying hard to get up there (maybe if he flaps those ears of his :happydance2: )

Sorry, I need this dumbed down for me...

If I wanted to do Shutzhund with my dog, does that mean i CANT then show my dog in Conformation classes or I can show my dog just dont get busted or I'll get banned :mad

Or can I do both and it is alright :happydance2:

too late for that ... he now launches himself thinking he can actually make it ... 55kg of muscle trying hard to get up there (maybe if he flaps those ears of his rofl1.gif )

:rolleyes:

Sorry, I need this dumbed down for me...

If I wanted to do Shutzhund with my dog, does that mean i CANT then show my dog in Conformation classes or I can show my dog just dont get busted or I'll get banned confused.gif

Or can I do both and it is alright thumbsup1.gif

the bold part is correct,

Ruffles here in Vic DONT SAY ANYTHING TO ANYONE about it. You do bitework and the coucil declares your dog dangerous with all the bells and whistles attached. If your dog steps out of line get ready for the law to come down on you.

My dogs are lovely family pets. End of story. Microchipped, vaccinated and well controlled in public. No one has actually seen my dogs do any work and I intend to keep it that way.