Moses Is Dead

thegownchick

We, as dog lovers do appreciate the pain of the loss of a dear pet, having experienced it ourselves. But while being upset about the loss, we focused all our energy in celebrating our beloved Boo by talking about the silly and wonderful things she did, the lives she affected in a positive manner and the beautiful memorial we created. Boo is still with us, growing and blooming every year as a beautiful magnolia (Little Gem) – we say good morning to her and our new canine baby enjoys the cooling breeze and sweet scents of her as she rest underneath Boo’s branches.

My concern with your comments, being a lover of pets, is what happened to the poor dog you took into your care? From your comments you dropped it like a ‘hot scone’ – where was your love for the dog then?

I see my comments as constructive, not negative – don’t sit around and fall into a depression, mourn by getting out there and celebrating your beloved Moses’ life.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just come across this thread, and I am so sorry to hear about Moses.

I know how important he was to you, and it doesn't matter what species of animal he was, the pain would be just the same.

I know that there is nothing I can say to help, because losing a pet before its time is due is such a terrible tragedy, and you have my sympathy.

Boo'n'poo, have you said enough yet? The dog was just being minded for a few weeks, don't concern yourself with that, it has nothing to with the topic.

Please realise that everyone deals with grief in different ways. What is best for you may be quite wrong for somebody else.

You post as much as you feel the need :eek:

As you will see we have been posting about our sweet Roo since june, and I have found it very helpfull posting on Dol MOST people understand, but their will always be the exception :cool:

Thinking of you :laugh:

And hopeing you and Josh are bonding.

Please realise that everyone deals with grief in different ways. What is best for you may be quite wrong for somebody else.

Exactly what I wanted to say.

thegownchick, I hope all is going well with your new birdy and you're feeling a little better. I'd be great if you can keep everyone updated with how his training is going and post some photos of the cute little bugger some time :laugh:

Kozpink and Jaybeecee, THANK YOU. I know I keep saying this but really I do mean it. I went to sleep last night thinking about the comments on this board and almost was afraid to check this morning. Unaccustomed as I am to being an emotional wreck, this is about the only place I have to go right now. I have my suspicions who this Boo n Poo person is but I'll leave it at that. Josh and I are training every morning for an hour or so, until he gets sick of it, then in ten minute intervals every hour after that. The breeder came over yesterday to have morning tea with me, with her husband. She said I need to have more confidence or he will train me not the other way around. He is the sweetest, loveliest little non-bitey budgie. I just don't want to frighten him in any way.

I KNOW he's not a dog but the love is the same. And thanks yes I will post a photo as soon as I can get him to sit on my finger without flying off.

And I DON'T hate dogs, not really, just don't want any around here for a while. My husband and I are considering starting a pet loss/grief support group. Dear OH has university degrees in psychology, social work and counselling (I have nothing) so he would be a great facilitator. I can make the tea and coffee and lend a sympathetic (empathetic?) ear. It has surprised me that there is just nothing in Brisbane you can go to, and when you are feeling so empty, any shoulder to cry on or just a cup of tea & a chat with someone who UNDERSTANDS would have been of great benefit. I have a friend who is a foster person at the RSPCA so I will contact her on Monday to see what she thinks. If they can have a similar group in Victoria, surely they can do it in Queensland too. Now I understand people whose children die and then they start foundations in their memory.

Boo'n'poo, have you said enough yet? The dog was just being minded for a few weeks, don't concern yourself with that, it has nothing to with the topic.

I understand people do grieve in different ways. In the past, I have only accessed this site as a browser, reading all the wonderful stories about people and their loved pets/babies. After reading about this topic, I was compelled to comment on two things - both first hand experiences. I worked with a woman who loved her dog more than anything in the world, due to unfortunate circumstances, she lost her baby. She was devastated (like the GownChick). She kept looking at the negative side of the situation, and spent her time dewelling on all the sad things by focussing her attention on chat groups (by herself at home) - not the best environment to be in when you are feeling down. This woman never recovered and now lives like a recluse - something I don't wish the Gownchick to go thru.

My second issue regards all of us dog owners. I have seen and looked after dogs which have been left for dead and abused because of digging a hole, chewing a shoe, and in some case doing nothing at all. I get worried when I hear or read about cases where a dog has done something and then a comment to the likes of 'no more dogs!' is used. I LOVE these canine babies... but we need to remember that they are still dogs. It doesn't matter how much we humanise them, they still can revert back to instincts - some responsibility needs to be placed back on us humans to not place our pets in these situations. I've seen and heard of too many dogs being sentenced to death because of situations that were totally avoidable.

So I think I have every right to concern myself with the dog's interests. Its funny how this website is for dogs, but no comment was made about the poor dog she was minding!

Edited by boo n poo

"I have my suspicions who this Boo n Poo person is but I'll leave it at that."

I have no idea who you are, so who do you think I am? If you read my latest comments, you'll know why I have responded.

I'm sure you're feeling angry towards me at the moment, but hopefully that has given you a break from your despair.

"The poor dog she was minding" went back to her family the very same day, who then took her to the coast for a few days until they found someone else to carry on the care while they finished their holidays. I went to great lengths not to upset these dear people, they were a lovely family, while at my very lowest. I couldn't have done more. I refuse to hold resentment, because that causes bitterness and none of us want to live like that. When I say 'no more dogs' I mean no more dogs here at home. It doesn't mean we would ever be cruel to one, or step in if we saw neglect or cruelty. Truly I am trying to 'carry on' as normal as I can, but it's a new kind of normal now for us, one that doesn't include Moses, and that is really hard. Today is two days without crying so maybe I am getting better. It is still the first thought I have when I wake up in the morning ... Moses isn't here any more. But Joshua is, and he is my focus. Thank God for him! Otherwise I may never have got through. That and the kind support of the people here.

I'm glad to hear that you are feeling a bit better, and it sounds as though you and Joshua are getting off on the right foot for a wonderful relationship.

You will always hold Moses in your heart, just as I do with Boo - but please don't ponder on the sad stuff.

I feel very passionately about dogs, and I get concerned when i hear stories like your experience and wonder what happened next? It sounds like you made a very sensible move. I get a little emotional about this topic as I've seen what happens when people aren't as sensible and responsible as you.

I know you don't like dogs, but check out these clips. They are very cute puppies learning service dog tasks.

http://www.puppyprodigies.org/VideoClips.htm

My pet sheep got attacked by dogs. I put a tribute to her on this site,

http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?...71&hl=Bezza

and it really made me feel a lot better getting it off my chest and writing to people who understand. So a little bit similar to you. I even have the same names for my pets as you do.

Do you think you may not have been ready for another budgie? Bird and animals are so unique. I don't hate all dogs, but don;t like the breeds involved.

Don't worry about other people not no nice comments, people always try to pull you down instead of lifting you up. I was having fun with my pup, and people were accusing me of wasting water!!!

Edited by CrashTestDummy

It's alright Boo n Poo, I'm sure you were only trying to help by giving me another perspective. I certainly don't hate you, or anyone else.

If I didn't have Joshua in that bird palace (it is a palace, believe me, one could never refer to it as a cage), it would be a daily reminder of the tragedy. I would be always looking for Moses. Joshua is almost a carbon copy of Moses in appearance, and sometimes from a distance I can imagine it is him. Training is taking up most of my morning and all of my waking thoughts, so this is a good thing for me. On the day Moses died, I rang his breeder in tears sobbing my heart out, and she said "come over this afternoon, I have a baby here who is very similar to your Moses, you can have him with my compliments". So I went, and we loved him on sight, otherwise we may not have had a new baby so soon. Certainly one can never replace the other, but thank goodness he is there! Purple budgies are not easy to come by, and to have one almost a reincarnation of the darling who died is just a miracle.

Crash Test, I thought your sheep was just beautiful. I read that tribute and had tears in my eyes. How special to have a sheep greet you when you come home! That must make you unique. Poor darling, how awful. Life just is not fair is it?

We went to visit a friend in hospital tonight, this dear lady has alot of health problems. My mum always said "if you're feeling down, do something for somebody QUICK". And it's true. So after an hour there, making her laugh, we all felt alot better.

And I think to myself, if Bindi Irwin can move on after her father's death, SURELY I can manage to at least do the same. What an incredible attitude that girl has. If I had ten percent of it, I could conquer anything.

Glad you have had two good days. You will probably find yourself on the roller coaster ride of emotion, like I am.

We took a holiday in Nov just to try and get away from the loss of Roo, but it only made it worse, I had more time to think of her. And everyone tells you to think of the good times, but that just makes me miss her more :thumbsup:

I have a photo of Josh our budgie on my bedside table, and after 11yrs I still miss him, and cry when I think about him. Its been nearly 7mths that we lost our darling Roo and I'm still in heaps of pain ;) I still can't look at a photo of her :rofl::cry: And think of her day and night :D We have thrown ourselves into more rescue and thats the one thing that makes me feel better, is saving dogs from the bridge.

Hope you continue to feel better, and you and Josh bond soon.

I'm so sorry gownchick.

I had a lovebird named Dill that used to trott about our room with our elderly bull terrier Diesel. One day Diesel came over to sniff at Dill and Dill gave him an almighty peck on his nose. Diesel basically ran off.

Next time Dill was running loose in the room, she was trotting across the coffee table, all cocky as usual. Diesel wandered over and without warning just GRABBED her. It was his revenge, I guess. We yelled his name and he let her go straight away. She flew off and was fine.

Many months later, we came home to find the cage upturned and Dill missing - the dogs were locked up at the time so I can only blame the neighbour's cats. :thumbsup:

And I think to myself, if Bindi Irwin can move on after her father's death, SURELY I can manage to at least do the same. What an incredible attitude that girl has. If I had ten percent of it, I could conquer anything.

Ah you'll get there mate, it just takes time :thumbsup:

Hello J (gownchick)

I was so shocked and saddened to hear that you lost your special mate Moses...It is a cruel twist of fate that a strange dog took his life when you had done so much research into having a puppy who would get along with birds... :laugh:

I hope that Josh is as wonderful a friend as Moses was....

Hello J (gownchick)

I was so shocked and saddened to hear that you lost your special mate Moses...It is a cruel twist of fate that a strange dog took his life when you had done so much research into having a puppy who would get along with birds... :laugh:

I hope that Josh is as wonderful a friend as Moses was....

Thanks Carol. You more than anyone know the effort I put in to ensuring Moses was safe, so thank you, your words mean alot. Needless to say, I won't be looking for one of your puppies in the future after all. You were on my list of people to contact in the new year! I really thought it could work. The dog had been here for five days with no problems because I was always there. Only the fact that I was laying down because I didn't feel well, and someone else had let him out of the cage. I thought he was safely locked up. If I had been in the room, Moses would have flown to me and he'd still be with us.

Josh is coming along, slowly slowly, baby steps. You can't rush these things. Bonding with a dog is much easier I think. Budgies you have to get them to trust you. I can get him to sit on my finger out of the cage and eat seed out of my hand for a minute or two, but then he wants to get straight back in.

No more dogs for me. I'll just watch them from afar. The people on this board are wonderful though.

• 2 weeks later...

I am so sorry for your loss. :) And I know what you are going through. I struggled for years over the death of my horse, with feelings of guilt and the fact that I never got to say goodbye. I made a website for him with photos and his story. Nobody has to see it, but it really helped me say goodbye. Little Moses will be in your heart forever.

And Boo n Poo - there is no time limit on grief. Just because you were able to remember the happy times quickly, doesn't mean everyone can. And forcing someone to contain their grief is certainly not a good way to deal with things. If someone's outward grief makes you uncomfortable, then why are you in this forum? I am sure thegownchick will be able to remember happy times when she is ready - and when that is, is entirely up to her.

Hi, thegownchick, so sorry to hear about Moses. Budgies are simply delightful, and it is never easy to lose any pet via an accident.

The one thing which works for everyone is Tincture of Time - different times for different people Having Josh will help too. Everyone who has lost a loved pet understands how you feel ... and that is just about everyone here.

Hope the training with Josh goes well. I find that cutting the flight feathers on a wing helps - so they can't fly away. I know there are various opinions on this, but the feathers grow back, and until Josh is tame, he can't fly around and hurt himself. If you really don't want to cut his wing, or don't know how, do this without cutting the feathers, but it will probably take longer, and do it somewhere he can't hurt himself if he flies off.

Stand behind him - so his back is facing you. Put your finger against his breast, and gently push back - so he has to step up onto your finger - when he is on your finger, before he flies away, put your other finger (other hand) against his breast, push back again, and he will step up again. Do this a few times, so he is stepping up onto your finger - 10 - 12 times. Until he is a bit tired.

Once he is happy to sit on your finger, face him, and repeat the exercise. You will find, after a couple of days, he will step onto your finger wherever he is, and from there, be happy to sit on your shoulder.

My apologies if you are already doing this!! :) If you haven't been doing it, you will find that it takes a bit of practice to get your fingers into the right rhythm to keep him stepping up.

Works every time - they get tame in no time.

A purple budgie sounds devine. How about a photo of Josh?