Hardest Area/field To Train Your Dog In.

I trained dogs for Obedience trials for many years before moving across to Retrieving Trials. I can only comment on my impression on the degree of difficulty between these two fields but I would say that training a dog for All Age retrieving trials is by far the toughest, most challenging and most rewarding thing I've done with my dogs. I think the biggest difference between the two is that to attain a Retrieving Trial Champion title you have to win 2 All Ages.

That may not sound too difficult to some people but here in Victoria we have some of the best All Age competitors and dogs in the country, just to place in an All Age here is an achievement.

It's a tough system but I wouldn't have it any other way. At least I know that when I do win I have thoroughly deserved the title.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Lablover,

I was interested in your comment that Oz RTs are conceptually the most difficult in the world. Could you explain this further please? What makes Oz trials conceptually more difficult than those in the USA for example? Also I wonder how you think the top Oz retrievers would perform in USA RTs, and what aspects would our dogs find the most difficult? Conversely, how would the top American dogs perform in our RTs and what aspects would of our trials would be they find most difficult?

TIA

The degree of difficulty is due to, (sorry, I have no idea how to double quote), the reasons previously mentioned in this thread.

As my personal experience has been sending ONE Australian bred labrador to the US and importing ONE US field breed labrador, I cannot fairly answer your question. I enjoy all my dogs. The bottom line I suppose, would be train the dog, to what is expected in the relevant trials.

Lablover you are being way too modest!! In addition to sending a dog to the USA for training and importing an American dog to Oz, you've also been a spectator at numerous (I'm not sure how many) US RTs and then "imported" top Pro and Am trainers from USA to give seminars in Oz - I doubt there's anybody more qualified on DOL to give us their opinion of Oz vs USA RTs. LOL, I know those sort of questions can require sooo much typing to answer, and there's way better things to be doing with your time - like training dogs. I'll be at the Nagambie trial on the Friday, hope to see you there, will say G'day and press you for some of those answers you're too busy to type out :)

I'll be at the Nagambie trial on the Friday, hope to see you there, will say G'day and press you for some of those answers you're too busy to type out :laugh:

I have not actually entered this trial due to the heat. To tell you the truth, there are a couple of training exercises I am currently focusing on. Entries close tomorrow, so I might change my mind and drive them out in the morning. Any idea of the long term weather forecast? :p

Are you planning on staying for both days?

Any idea of the long term weather forecast? :laugh:

Bloody hot if recent conditions are any indication. Last night was by far the worst so far this summer, 28oC at our place when I got up at 6am this morning.

Are you planning on staying for both days?

Can only stay for the Friday unfortunately, will spend Sat with my wife, can't burn up too many points too early in the season, as when the FTs start I'll be away a bit. I look forward to seeing your US dog perform, if not this trial, then sometime soon, there are plenty coming up in the next few months.

I know what you mean about training in this heat, I was down the river yesterday, throwing a few dummies and having a swim my self, when one of my dogs jumped into the air and spun around, I thought SH*T SNAKE, I came charging out of the water, yelling at the dog to come. Thankfully it was nothing, just a prickle, but I put the dogs up in the ute just the same.

Finally after training today in humid conditions, I have decided to wait until the February trial. No dog was harmed in any way, they could cool off by swimming.

Have fun Working Setters. If its a cool weekend, I will not be happy with my decision.

Hi guys!

We have had a few US handlers as well as trainers Lablover and another person organised. Comments made by the US guys was that the nominated order of pick-up in some All Age runs would not be done in the US from what I recall, especially where a dog would have to collect one or even two blinds before a sighted bird. Also the terrain we use differs considerably from the US from the few videos I have seen, our flowing rivers and rocky cliffs and quarries not used there. Perhaps Lablover can clear this.

Similarly I do not think many of our dogs can run 300 metre blinds without a whistle pip!!!! I think US dogs could flounder here and we would flounder there!!

I have done Obedience and found it boring... so did the dog!!! Never trained for Field trials but been an onlooker, looked fun! Getting too old to run fast for Agility but again looks fun and finally I do find RT's the hardest to train for and may I add getting harder. Doubt I will get any more RT's after the two I have had but will settle for AARD instead. It was watching sheep dog trialling that got me into RT's, just loved watching the rapport between dog and handler and the focus of the dog on the task. Discovered RT's many years agao and still love it and hope to see you at Benalla.

Perhaps Lablover can clear this.

Hi Ms M. Too difficult to describe the US differences regarding their way of trialling, mainly due to terminology. Besides who else but retriever trialling people would be terribly interested. Hells bells, I try to unconfuse myself regarding their requirements and ours especially when training. One thing above all others, is the step by step training from basic obedience to drills to concepts then finally to trials/tests. Also their A graders, are exceptional, as they can see a dog and within a very short amount of time, know what that particular dog is GOING to do. They are excellent dog readers. I felt blessed by their company.

Wild horses would not keep me from entering Benalla. Looking forward to catching up with you.

Back to filling up training holes I go, LOL. Consistency, consistency, consistency. The steps to heaven.

Sorry Country Joe, for hijacking your thread.

The cuisine sounds very tempting, the problem I have with Benella is that there are FTs scheduled at the same time. If this rain (yes RAIN) keeps up, conditions may improve enough for us to hold them, in which case I'll be running the red dogs. If the FTs are no go, then I look forward to seeing you all in Benella, and sampling some world famous curry.

The cuisine sounds very tempting, the problem I have with Benella is that there are FTs scheduled at the same time. If this rain (yes RAIN) keeps up, conditions may improve enough for us to hold them, in which case I'll be running the red dogs. If the FTs are no go, then I look forward to seeing you all in Benella, and sampling some world famous curry.

If you do make it, look forward to meeting you (and feeding you too, if you dare :laugh:) The Easter trial is great.

It's warm, but not terrible, I'm sure the dogs (and perhaps handlers) will be taking a cool refreshing dip, I'm told the water is (relatively) free of leeches. I'm looking forward to it, I've not been to an Oz RT since before I went to the USA. Shame you can't make it, but will catch you in Feb.

Looking forward to it WS. I was training an hour away from the trial site this morning, thinking why why why did not enter!!!!!! Mind you my training partners were saying the same thing.

Oh well..........February is not too far away.

Speaking of training partners, I've been doing quite a bit (once/twice a week) of training with GB, he's got a little black bitch Kate he got from you. I like her temperment, she's always so happy to be working, wagging her tail a million miles/hour.

Edited by Working_Setters

Well? I know its still early, most are staying for the 2 days of competition and you may be too tired to post later tonight, but looking forward to hear of todays stakes. Including Country Joe, who I heard had entered also.

Was GB entered?

Congrats Country Joe on a top perfromance, it must be very pleasing to have both dogs going so well.

That last blind was a tester, I guess the judge need to seperate the field a bit, it must have been a relief when your dogs came back with the bird.

Edited by Working_Setters