8 Week Old Puppy Humping Everything...

Roxy Lady

Hi

A friend of mine has bought a bully pup, anyway he brang it in to show me and the bloody little thing wouldn't stop humping my leg!!! He said that it tries to hump his other dog (a female staffy not sure of age around 1 or 2 i think) Why would he be doing this?? I thought maybe he was trying to be topdog?? But at 8 weeks old!?! It was funny though, bringing this tiny little humping puppy into a sex shop, there was nothing here to help him out though!! :cry:

Puppies in a litter can hump each other from about 3 weeks old onwards. Its one of the ways they determine whos top pup. Its totally normal for a pup who has just left the litter to want to do this with older dogs in their new homes. Dont worry, the older dog will either ignore it or put pup in his place. This might occur up until about 6 months of age or even longer. As long as the pup thinks he can become top dog, he/she will keep doing it.

My golden retriever did it until she was 5 months old, my border collie snapped her one day and she never did it again.

Its perfectly normal.

Thats kinda why i thought he'd be doing it too. He said it was the biggest pup in the litter, and he keeps doing it to the staffy and the staffy had already bit the pup very close to its eye, so hes a bit worried that its gonna happen again and is keeping them separate, also he said his staffy is a bit jealous. Darn cute little humper but!!! :cry:

I was just coming on to post a question on this very topic.

I have a 10 week male dane who I only got this week and today the humping has started. There are 2 ways - one is climbing on to me and the humping motion. The other is a tad more delicate - he follows behind me when I walk and sticks his nose in my crotch and kinda squat humps. Thank goodness he is under house arrest until the end of the vacicnation course otherwise that may be a little embarrasing if he does it to other people in public.

I read the comments re being top dog. He was the second smallest in a litter of 11. I have no other dogs - only a cat.

I was just coming on to post a question on this very topic.

I have a 10 week male dane who I only got this week and today the humping has started. There are 2 ways - one is climbing on to me and the humping motion. The other is a tad more delicate - he follows behind me when I walk and sticks his nose in my crotch and kinda squat humps. Thank goodness he is under house arrest until the end of the vacicnation course otherwise that may be a little embarrasing if he does it to other people in public.

I read the comments re being top dog. He was the second smallest in a litter of 11. I have no other dogs - only a cat.

I am thinking he doesnt necesarily need to be the biggest pup to be the dominant one, also he may be doing it to you as it was done to him in his litter and you are his new litter and he wants to see if you want to play like his litter mates did. :rofl:

You can firmly tell him no and stop him each time, ours did it for a few months on and off but he is 6.5 mths old now and hasnt done it for a while now.

Edited by billiam

Hi,

I remember reading somewhere that testosterone levels in male pups actually peak around 7 - 8 weeks of age. This can explain why there seems to be alot of humping behaviours around that age and why, mostly, they subside or disappear as the pups get older. I have owned a few male pups and they all exhibited the behaviour and they all, in turn, grew out of it. I haven't found it to be dominance-based in little pups.

My new puppy is currently 9 weeks old and he's busy trying to hump most things around the house. Thankfully he's held back on the visitors... :wink: :)

Tangwyn

ETA I don't correct my pups - just ignore them and get up and move away if necessary. Provided you don't actually praise the behaviour I'm fairly confident you won't need to introduce the use of aversives to discourage it.

Edited by Tangwyn

My female Dogue de Bordeaux pup humps my 20 month old male DDB who is desexed.

She came home at just over 8 weeks old and she started only a couple of hours after she was introduced to him.

She is very dominant in a lot of ways so it was her way of trying to come in a rule the roost!!

She has also been marking her territory by peeing on all my other dogs beds except her own!!.

i wouldn't worry to much it is a dominance thing and they will sort it out.