How Much Water?

Danois

Yes another question from me! I am getting the hang of being owned by Angus (as opposed to serving the cat!)

I restrict Angus' water consumption to stop him gulping as he is a high risk breed for bloat (dane).

He is currently 11 weeks old and is at 12kg. I feed him Nutrience Giant Puppy food along with fresh mince every couple of days and plain yoghurt.

He is generally peeing 6-8 times a day.

When I put water down he generally drinks it all and sometimes looks for more - when he asks I generally give him some more.

I know it is a difficult question but how much water on average does a dog drink or need in a day. I am in inner Sydney and have upped the water with this hotter weather.

Thanks in advance!

If you leave the water available at all times you dog will not gulp as much, he will be more likey to just have a bit every know and then

Thanks - was wondering what others thought was 'normal' (if there is such a thing) as I have had it suggested from a couple of other dane owners that leaving a full water bowl can be inviting trouble (be it giant paws, gulping etc etc)

I would hate to think I am dehydrating him so will give it a couple of days of having a fuller bowl available and see how he paces himself.

Am not worried about how much he is peeing - this was simply used as a reference.

I am not completely in the dark re looking after dogs however my experience has always been with older dogs - common feature growing up (esp german shepherds) and then until recently, a spoodle (yes I know designer breed - it was my friend's dog and I took on caring for both of them - most beautiful natured dog)

I agree with the others, dogs need fresh clean water available at all times, restricting water, especially in hot weather is dangerous and unnecessary. Your dog is far more likely to gulp excess water if you restrict his access, if you leave water down all the time he'll simply drink enough to quench his thirst.

I have left the full water bowl down today and it has gone without a hitch - perhaps it was the new environment and recovery after the trip to me which was causing him to gulp etc

Definately a full bowl down for him now - especially today in Sydney.

Thanks for your advice on this one! Much appreciated.