Can't Toilet Train A Puppy

WreckitWhippet

HI

I am having a similar problem with Angus - he will pee outside on command but poos are a different matter - it is as if he does not make the connection for toilet. I tend to keep an eye on him all the time but guarantee the minute I don't he has snuck one in! It is usually when he goes for a drink.

As I do not catch him I cannot do the NO and take him outside.

He is now up to 15kg so it is a bit hard to keep him on a lead by my side etc

I am still having troubles with him peeing on his bed during the day when I am not home and shredding his pee mat :rofl: but this will improve once he has better bladder control.

I have decided not to use a crate.

I have just been away from him from Thurs Afternoon to tonight and he has grown sooo much! I was relieved that his training had not been undone - I had left very specific instructions with my friend. I suspect he was left unsupervised in the backyard at some stage as my garden beds have been artistically rearranged (thankfully they are about to be replanted anyway!).

I have found that as soon as your pup puts a nose down to the "ground" it is time to take them "out"!

They are not human

- if they need to go - they go!

I see that you are at home - get out every 10 or 15 minutes!

Yes, it is inconvenient

- you may be on the phone

- you may be chopping up vegies

- but your dog does gives a "signal"- you only have to be able to read it!!

- and just remember that they remember. (If you forgot!)

You are responsible.

I am very wary of the "pet resorts" - the places where they have "human" beds - lounges - television and destructive toys.

They don't have pet doors - the dog is almost encouraged to destroy the furnishings - pee and poop inside !

I would prefer to just have my dog by me.