Puppy Raising And Training Guides

Jimmy

I am a keen reader and would love to start reading up on raising puppies, training foundations, puppies and kids and diet/health.

Can anyone recommend any relevant and well respected books on these topics. Specifically we are getting a Kelpie puppy.

Really appreciate any suggestions.

Gwen Baileys's "The Perfect Puppy" is a great start.

If you are looking for a general dog health book, I think its very hard to go past "Everydog". I like "The Dog's Mind" for a general understanding of how dogs think... I can't remember the author off the top of my head.

Sheila Booth's "Purely Posititive Training - Companion to Competition" is a good training book.

From a more philosophical perspective I'd recommend Patricia McConnells "The Other End of the Leash" and Susanne Clothier's "Bones Would Rain from the Sky"

A couple of clicker training books wouldn't be bad either.

I am a newbie to dogs, but I just finished reading 'The Idoits Guide to Beagles' this series of books is available on many breeds. I found it very helpful for someone who didn't know much about dogs. I borrowed the book from the library and will probably buy a copy. Its a good place to start.

Shel

if you are interested in clicker training I found click for joy by Melissa alexander to be very good, as well as Don't shoot the dog by Karen Pryor.

There are heaps of websites around which discuss different training methods as well, not sure if I am allowed to post them here?