Obedient Behaviour With Guests?

skuzy

hi folks

got a weird question with my husky.. he loves to jump on people.. whilst iam sorta struggling to stop him from jumping on me .. i have ZERO control overhim when guests/strangers arrive.. he will literally ignore anything i say and jump all over them..

with myself personally he will jump on me... or on my back etc trying to play.. i will just ignore hiim and walk off but it seems to encourage him to try harder.. dunno why.. i also try saying NO! and being stern with him.. but he takes this as an initiation to play chase? i dont get it..

well with the visitors/strangers part.. when the come over .. he will jump all over them.. and even try to hump their legs.. anyone got some info where i can read up on how to control this?

thanks in advance.

There are heaps of things you can do/try.

However, my "internet" suggestion is that you have dominance behaviours in action. The first step is to establish YOUR leadership. Without it, your dog will have no respect nor accept that you have the right to govern his actions. Spitz variety breeds definately need to understand the guidelines you set and to learn to observe them. This form of dominance can later lead to more serious and catestrophic behaviour if not checked.

The second step would be to have someone explain and show you how to extinguish your dog's learnt problematic behaviour and achieve a more harmonious relationship with him. A lesson or two will stand you in good stead and will probably achieve a much faster and successful result than suggestions (which may or may not suit you and your dog) over the net. (If you do engage someone qualified to assist, he/she will also be able to assist you with Step 1. :confused:)

ETA: If you let me know where you are located, Skuzy, I may be able to assist you or at least offer some recommendations for people to contact.

Edited by Erny

got a weird question with my husky.. he loves to jump on people.. whilst iam sorta struggling to stop him from jumping on me .. i have ZERO control overhim when guests/strangers arrive.. he will literally ignore anything i say and jump all over them..

You could ask your guests to completely ignore him when he's rowdy, and only pay him attention when he's polite. However, this might be hard for them to do if he's persistant or rough with his attention getting behaviour.

You could consider crating him when guests arrive, and only letting him out when he's calm. If he gets over excited, pop him back in the crate. It's not a solution, but it would manage the problem.

Just out of interest, how old is he? What other training have you done with him?

with myself personally he will jump on me... or on my back etc trying to play.. i will just ignore hiim and walk off but it seems to encourage him to try harder.. dunno why.. i also try saying NO! and being stern with him.. but he takes this as an initiation to play chase? i dont get it..

You could try teaching a non compatible behaviour (e.g sit). When he comes to jump up, try telling him to "sit" and only reward him with attention and chase games when he complies. If you don't know how to teach him things like this, consider going to a good obedience school or engaging the services of a good professional trainer.

I'd personally also look at the amount of exercise and mental stimulation you're giving your dog - giving him more exercise and more mental stimulation might help him stop being so rowdy and over excited. Remember that huskies are energetic, smart dogs that were bred to run for miles every day - if you don't encourage your dog to channel his energy appropriately, he'll use that energy in destructive ways!

I'd also consider starting the NILIF programme to reassert your leadership (do a search on the forum), and using the triangle of temptation programme (sticky at the top of the forum).

*oops - crossposted with you, Erny!*

Edited by Amhailte

hm well he will be hitting 1 y.o near mothers day..

no real formal obedience training.. however the pup has been taught

-sit on command

-shake hand (he also knows how to alternate! lol )

-stay on command (i think the max distance is about 10-15 metres right now,, however this stay wont work if theres something there to distract him .. eg a bird that lands within 2ft of him)..

- dunno what u call it.. but he wont eat his food from his bowl unless we let him

- dunno what u call it but he wont eat food from our hands unless we let him.. u can literally hold the food and rub his nose with it and he wont try to bite.. (ok.. maybe 2/10 times he will try to nip at it)..

this jumping/humping on people / myself thing is the only real problem.. i know he does it for play and i know that people reacting to him (naturally) will mean the dog is getting the attention he seeks.. but dunno how to stop the bugger..

Edited by skuzy

Skuzy:

this jumping/humping on people / myself thing is the only real problem.. i know he does it for play and i know that people reacting to him (naturally) will mean the dog is getting the attention he seeks.. but dunno how to stop the bugger..

I don't consider any humping to be "play". It's either sexually or dominance driven and neither of those is acceptable behaviour in a dog. Personally I'd be seeking the assistance of an experienced professional dog behaviouralist.

Sounds like you may have some leadership issues with this dog. Get some help before the behaviour becomes any more developed.

Edited for sense!

Edited by poodlefan

well the dog doesnt hump me.. which is good.. just some of our guests..

didnt think it was that bad but im guessing u are right i will have to either take him to dog training or get someone to come around to have a look..

does anyone have any recommendations?

well the dog doesnt hump me.. which is good.. just some of our guests..

No .... but he jumps up at you and you are having difficulties controlling him. Signs of leadership imbalance (ie disrespect for your attempts to govern).

Not sure how far away from you he is (but well worth a longish drive for the consult in any case), contact Steve at K9 Force.

K9 Force

Edited by Erny

Skuzy:

well the dog doesnt hump me.. which is good.. just some of our guests

Which is bad. He's still young and if unchecked the behaviour may escalate. Yep, get some help in controlling this. Personally I'd be very unimpressed with being lept on and shagged by any dog.

hi mate,

I have two sibes and had to deal with this problem with both of them. Firstly make sure he listen's to you, and you are the boss. A husky who thinks that he is the boss is a nightmare.

I just had a friend come over (becasue they had learnt this behaviour was not acceptable with me or my wife already and only did it to visitors) a couple of times when the boys would either jump or do anything silly. When the dogs would start doing something I'd give them a gruff 'NO!!' to get them to stop. A couple of times i had to man-handle the boys to the ground to assert my dominance. when they ceased the bahaviour I asked the to sit and then the visitor would give them a treat. Now when we have visitors come over they rush to them and sit in front of them, the visitor gives them a friendly pat (which rewards the sitting and reinforces that this is appropriate behaviour).

I avoid at all costs locking the dogs away when we have visitors, as I don't want that routine to become the norm. I want both my boys to be pleasurable around visitors, they are after all part of the family.

NB when I say 'man handling' - that is just it, no hitting etc, just force the dog to the ground so I am in a position over the top of him.

If that, or some similar techniques don't work then sure get the bahavoualist in, but lets not have Dr Harry over just yet without trying a few things.

Hope this helps,

Brett

Sibes Only:

When the dogs would start doing something I'd give them a gruff 'NO!!' to get them to stop. A couple of times i had to man-handle the boys to the ground to assert my dominance

I'm glad this worked for you Sibes but it's not a method I'd recommend to most people. Do it to the wrong dog and you'll get bitten. Some dogs simply won't tolerate being pushed around.

Don't confuse physical dominance with social dominance - there IS a difference. I reckon we've got the bigger brain for a reason. You can learn to be dominant without ever having to get into a physical contest with a dog.

BTW, Dr Harry ain't a behaviouralist. I see some of his recommendations for behaviour modification and just shudder.

Edited by poodlefan

Sibes Only:
When the dogs would start doing something I'd give them a gruff 'NO!!' to get them to stop. A couple of times i had to man-handle the boys to the ground to assert my dominance

I'm glad this worked for you Sibes but it's not a method I'd recommend to most people. Do it to the wrong dog and you'll get bitten. Some dogs simply won't tolerate being pushed around.

Don't confuse physical dominance with social dominance - there IS a difference. I reckon we've got the bigger brain for a reason. You can learn to be dominant without ever having to get into a physical contest with a dog.

BTW, Dr Harry ain't a behaviouralist. I see some of his recommendations for behaviour modification and just shudder.

Hi poodlefan, thanks for your comments, wasn't trying to say Dr Harry was anything special. The point I was trying to make is there are a few suggestions on this thread. Lets try a few first before we rush out to the behaviouralist.

I made a suggestion which has worked for my boys, and for a few friends just as I'm sure other people offering suggestions have had successes with their methods. The method is actually offering an alternate bahaviour (sitting) and rewarding that bahaviour, rather than leaving the dog to jump or hump - after all he is just self rewarding. The issue of man-handling was a side issue to assert dominance quickly in a distracted and opportunistic environment - you can take it or leave it.

Brett

hi mate,

I have two sibes and had to deal with this problem with both of them. Firstly make sure he listen's to you, and you are the boss. A husky who thinks that he is the boss is a nightmare.

I just had a friend come over (becasue they had learnt this behaviour was not acceptable with me or my wife already and only did it to visitors) a couple of times when the boys would either jump or do anything silly. When the dogs would start doing something I'd give them a gruff 'NO!!' to get them to stop. A couple of times i had to man-handle the boys to the ground to assert my dominance. when they ceased the bahaviour I asked the to sit and then the visitor would give them a treat. Now when we have visitors come over they rush to them and sit in front of them, the visitor gives them a friendly pat (which rewards the sitting and reinforces that this is appropriate behaviour).

I avoid at all costs locking the dogs away when we have visitors, as I don't want that routine to become the norm. I want both my boys to be pleasurable around visitors, they are after all part of the family.

NB when I say 'man handling' - that is just it, no hitting etc, just force the dog to the ground so I am in a position over the top of him.

If that, or some similar techniques don't work then sure get the bahavoualist in, but lets not have Dr Harry over just yet without trying a few things.

Hope this helps,

Brett

If you need to do this, you ain't the boss :D

Skuzy, leadership is a subtle art, it is about implimenting strategies and techniques in order to avoid a confrontational situation, a situation where you have to exert physical 'dominance' is a sign that you have already lost.

You can learn to be dominant without ever having to get into a physical contest with a dog.

Too right. :D When I am consulted to assist in heirarchy issues, people are often surprised that, unless it is to pat/stroke/reward the dog for the appropriate reason at the appropriate time, I barely touch the dog during the whole consultation period. And yet the changes for the better in the dog's behaviour during that consultation alone can be gobsmacking.

A couple of times i had to man-handle the boys to the ground to assert my dominance. when they ceased the bahaviour I asked the to sit and then the visitor would give them a treat.

IMO it is extremely irresponsible to offer this sort of advice over the internet, lots of new dog owners read these forums and any of them could read this thread and decide to follow your advice. I personally know of a man who lost an eye doing exactly what you have recommended, the dog panicked, twisted around and bit the guy on the face and a canine tooth ripped into his eye.

This sort of 'man handling' just isn't necessary, it's the sort of 'old school' training method that some trainers were recommending decades ago. It is an outmoded and extremely dangerous thing to do, in the same category as the 'alpha roll' and various other old-fashioned techniques. If you want to practice this sort of thing on your own dogs that's your business, but please don't encourage other dog owners to follow your, IMO very bad, example :D

K9: Your dog at one year old and is most likely going through the "rank & shaping" period of his development.

This can be researched on my website HERE.

This is a crucial development period in which your dog will steer his path in your pack.

You need to take control of your dog now... This isn't done by flexing muscles, the Alpha is a passive pack member that commands respect, not a bully.

Not suggesting that you are bullying, but dont try & out mucle your dog, you will only teach the dog that it needs to get stronger to regain its lead position....

You need a dedicated program that will place you in the Alpha position without force..

hi folks - thanks for all the input.. i will need to do somereading.. and see what needs to be done with the growing pup.. i didnt realise that this was such a huge problem?? i sorta thought i was 'ok' in the alpha role.. this is because the dog especially listens to me when it comes to food.. eg i had found that our dog had caught a BIG bird in our yard the other week and was busy chewing away at it... not sure if it was a newly caught bird or a dead rotten one.. i wanted to take a closer look.. so what i did was.. called the dog to me, which was about 10 metres away (it reluctantly came, but it did).. made it sit (it did).. made it stay whilst i walked over to the dead bird to take a closer look (it stayed)... and only when i called it to come over (funnily enough it hops over).. it did...then i left it.... surely thats some 'control' over the dog? anyways this is obviously a problem i have to deal with.. maybe with the help of K9 force.. cheers again everyone!

Being able to take food off your dog is not necessarily a sign that it considers you it's leader, it depends on how highly the dog values the resource. I can take a bone, steak etc off my GSD and he would never so much as raise a paw. It looks great to everyone else, but the truth is he just doesn't value food very much.

I'd be leaning towards dominance as well.

I'd be more apt to have him on the leash and remove him from the room each time his behaviour level changed to what you weren't happy with.

NILIF and reading up on Leadership will assist as well.