Badluck / Crutiate Ligament

Guest Tiggy

Badluck does come in threes! 1 - I have a cold :) . 2 - Sophie's ruptured her crutiate ligament :laugh: . 3 - Someome backed into my car and drove of leaving a broken tail light and a dent :eek: . Really it was lucky I came home sick Friday morning because I found Sophie hobbling around on three legs. She's having her $1200!!! operation today. I got all teary when the vet said she had to stay overnight. The house isn't the same without her.

Edited by Tiggy

I'm nervous about keeping her confined for her recovery. I was thinking about getting an enclosure but I'm not sure where to get one in WA. I saw some on Ebay. I might have to try to fence off a small area myself or leave her in the laundry while I'm at work.

Hi Tiggy,

If you must leave your girl in the laundry please ensure she has secure footing, tiles are too slippery for a dog with a bandaged limb. My boy Duncan had a similar operation for a different reason and my surgeon's bill was $3000. Do you know what type of cruciate repair Sophie is having? How was the diagnosis confirmed?

BTW, I came out of my GP's surgery a while ago to find my car had been reversed into, totally wrecking the bumper and pushing in one of the lights. With all these similarities, perhaps we are long lost twins :angel: ?

Hugs for Sophie and do follow the surgeon's post-op recovery instructions, be prepared for a long recovery period.

Regards,

Corine

Edited for spelling.

Edited by fido666

Best of luck to Sophie in her recovery. My best advice to you is to be fully prepared. Have her small area ready for her and avoid any slippery surfaces and stairs, or objects that she may trip on, get caught on, or cause an accident. And of course, something to keep her entertained while she is confined!!! It's such a stressful time, so it's best to be ready!!!

Chloe's cruciate ops cost approx $3 - 4k each (both legs) so don't feel too bad!!! It's the best money I ever spent!!! And yes I also cried when I had to leave Chloe... :( I would miss her just leaving her there for the day for follow up xrays... Damn dogs!!! :cheer: But the results were worth all the heartache and stress... :angel:

Lots of healing thoughts going Sophie's way... especially from Chloe who sympathises!!!

Edited by Kelly_Louise

Thanks for your well wishes everyone. I'm going to pick her up this afternoon so I can get a crate or small enclosure sorted before she comes home.

I got a Giant Petmate crate which gives her enough room to toilet up the end away from her bed if she has to go. I know this totally contradicts crate training but I don't know if she'll be able to hold on the 4.5 hours before I come home for lunch as she usually has to be let out to go to the toilet about 4 hours after we go to bed. After I leave at lunch she only has 3 hours before my Dad gets home from work.

Oh, hope you have a good recovery! She should be OK for 5 hrs... my Stella lives inside now, and holds on between 8 and 5-30. Not sure its very good for kidneys, though, but she's free wo pee on the floor if she needs..:)

A crate is very good. Without crate they tend to move too much and attempt to jump etc. I bought an excellent one on e-bay, it was delivered next day. If you are in Brissie, you could borrow it...

We just had an op on the second leg. Funny enough, Stella knows well already what it all means, and she was happy and generally OK straight after op, just hopping on 3 and not putting herself through pain. We remind her to lay down now and then, and she knows ...

My old GSD girl had both hers done about 3 years ago, she was just trotting in front of me in the backyard and screamed and was on 3 legs, she had ruptured the ligament so had the surgery the next day, then a week later the other leg went :o she coped really well with it all the poor girl. Hers cost $1000 for the first leg and around $900 for the second. She is a bit stiff now (she is 11 and half years old!) but otherwise is doing fine.

Edited by MLH

Sophie's doing really well. She's been fine in the crate. The Vet said they had to hand feed her but since she's been home she's been eating like she's starving. She use to be finicky.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tiggy

It's been almost 4 weeks since Sophie's operation and she's doing really well. I took her to the Vet for a check up today and she was really impressed with her progress. :mad