Rescued From A Shelter

Rhi

:hug: My partner and I rescued our 9 month Lab x Goldern Reteiver from a privatly run animal Shelter on the weekend, he was dropped at the shelter by his previous owners who brought him from a pet store. The shelter where really helpful in making sure we bonded with 'Sable' before we adopted him but the only paper work that had with him was his desexing and vacc's.

He didn't display any symptoms when at the shelter but when we got him home he started favouring his right hind leg. He can put his full wait on it but preferrs to hover it just above the ground when resting. Is this a symptom of hip dysplasia? We did walk him on a gravel road, could he have bruised his foot? I can't see any prickles.

It's been 3 days now.

Any feedback will be helpful

Good on you for adopting a shelter dog. :hug: I would suggest contacting the shelter and asking them- often they have a vet that your able to see at no or little charge if the dog has a pre existing problem appear within a certain time period. If it is a stone bruise or similar that has occured after adoption, then there may be a small fee but at least you know whats going on. Otherwise take the dog to your vet.

I take all my new arrivals to the vet ASAP when they come home. :hug:

In this case, I would have thought a phone call to the shelter as the very least to begin with?

I'll be ringing the shelter as soon as possible, being privately run they are only open on the weekend.

Thankyou

:rofl: My partner and I rescued our 9 month Lab x Goldern Reteiver from a privatly run animal Shelter on the weekend, he was dropped at the shelter by his previous owners who brought him from a pet store. The shelter where really helpful in making sure we bonded with 'Sable' before we adopted him but the only paper work that had with him was his desexing and vacc's.

He didn't display any symptoms when at the shelter but when we got him home he started favouring his right hind leg. He can put his full wait on it but preferrs to hover it just above the ground when resting. Is this a symptom of hip dysplasia? We did walk him on a gravel road, could he have bruised his foot? I can't see any prickles.

It's been 3 days now.

Any feedback will be helpful

You need more paperwork than what you got, perhaps they will be sending it out to you. You should have an adoption form and the copy of the change of ownership form, might pay to give them a buzz just to check :scold:

Puppies can hurt themselves quite often, one of my 6 month old fosters had to go onto anto inflamatories for 2 weeks as he was limping a little, he was fine after the medication. I'd suggest seeing your vet.

I don't think it will be HD....just a puppy being a puppy.....an idiot :D

I'd also reccomend not walking him on the gravel road, it's a bit too much impact for a young dog and if he isn't used to it, this could be the problem :p

Edited by sas