Teaching A Puppy To Walk On A Lead

rooster78

Hey

Just wondering when is a good age to start getting a puppy used to a collar and lead - I put a collar on him this morning just to see how he reacted - he didn't at all.

Just wondering when is a good age to start getting hiim used to a lead - he is still only young so it would only be in the back yard.

Thanks

Yep start now. Clip the lead on and praise him... hold onto the lead and call him toward you. Praise him when he comes to you. Take a couple of steps and encourage him along... and when he comes praise him again.

Do this for 20 seconds maximum. Make it a very positive experience for him. Do it every day and make it fun. :cry:

We're lucky because our little Staffy took to a leash really quickly. The lady who took us through puppy pre-school told us to get a light lead and train her. If she croc-rolled, I picked her up each time and when she walked on her own - lots of praises. In the beginning, good to let her lead you because her not chewing the leash is already an accomplishment. Perseverance and practice 5-10 minutes each day. You'll be amazed how quickly they get with it. And if you havent got your dog used to a collar, put one on now.

I start my babies at six weeks, I use a martingale , rather than a collar and leash and make sure that it's very light weight. I put them on the leash for only a minute or so and let them walk where they would like to, I encourage them to come to me and I pat them, from there I talk all cute and encourage them to foillow me . By 8 weeks my babies are walking with confidence and ready to take on the world.

:thumbsup:

We've had a quick session today and yesterday. I'm not expecting too much as it is early days of course.

I put the collar on him and left him with it and he accepted it ok. As soon as I put the lead on he goes mental...he is fine to walk and run around IF he has the lead in his mouth and boy does he keep a tight bite on it.

Today I was distracting him with biscuits and he walked a little way before remembering he was on a lead and grabbing biting it.

Is it best to perservere through the biting or stop it when he does that - to let him keep biting, is that just encouraging him to do it? I guess I know already my answer, if i take him off the lead when he bites it he will think that is all he has to do...

I am struggling today because he has been a MONSTER

Best time of day? I dunno - I just used to do it when I remembered!

Obviously not first thing in the morning or first thing after a sleep. Let him play for a bit and get the "idiot" out of his system first. Then clip on the lead and do it for 20 seconds then take it off again and play with him for a few more minutes. Don't let "lead time" signify the end of play time.

These are just my opinions and thoughts. I'm not a particularly experienced dog person but I have successfully lead trained a few pups. Remember there is no hurry! Baby steps.

Puppy preschool actually recommended a "gentle leader".

We got Jedda used to the lead (even though she still trys to chew it when excited!). But she was pulling heaps with just a collar and lead.

Then we progressed to the gentle leader. as it goes around her nose, she didn't like it at first. After 2 walks she was used to it and is sooo good on walks now. Sometimes she still needs to be conned to put it on, especially if she is hyper... bit of cheese does the trick.

Cheers, Kylie

definitely remove the leash from your dogs mouth everytime. if the dog rolls, pick him up and stand him up. i did it after a bit of play before dinner in the evening. the treats shouldnt be too much that it becomes a substitute. the tiniest bit is just as tasty as a big bit!

There's a bit of an art to keep the leash just tight enough so that it stays up behind the dogs ears and not so tight as to put pressure on the leash. Once you have worked that out, the puppy can't really bite the leash. That's when you focus all the attention, food and praise at the front of the puppy and encourage it to move with you.