Dirty Puppy - He Spends All Day In A Workshop

rooster78

Bronson has already lost his beautiful 'puppy' smell because during the week he spends his day with the OH in a workshop. He doesn't run free as there is too much for him to get into. He spends time on the back of the ute which has a cage over the tray. He sleeps in there and has time in there so OH can get some work done! When he wakes up OH takes him to the toilet and plays with him.

But it is workshop and there is obviously grease and oil most places - there are now greasy paw prints all over the place.

My question is about bathing - I have read on the forum that avoid washing dogs too much as this will strip their natural oils.

We've washed his paws off and he totally loved being in the sink with water and I don't want to wash him too frequently but feel I am going to have to do it a fair bit. Unfortunately he is black so I can't SEE how dirty he is and will just have to go off smell.

Also, what dog shampoo do you recommend?

Thanks

I take my 12 week old to work everyday. He is in a workshop also, however not with oil and grease. I bought 10 metre lunge lead from Horseland. He gets to roam free until I need to use some thing that could drip on the floor like paint, glue etc then I place him on the lunge lead. I have put the lead in a place where I know it will keep him out of harms way. I mark on the floor where he can get to and just don't put stuff inside that line.

My recommendation is to use a a big plastic tub that you get from Bunnings (depending on the size of your dog, by the way what breed is he?) fill it with fresh water and at the end of the day just dunk him in it, and use one of the nit combs your used to get from a Barbershop (the really fine round plastic ones) and run this through his coat at the end of the day.

As your OH would know, there is not many shampoo's that will truely break down oil and grease. You typically need to use a special hand wash etc. Using the nit comb will generally remove most the grease and oil mechanically.

I used to work with a guy who was a marine machanic (those guys get covered head to toe in crap) he had the most wonderful Cavalier King Charles Spaniel that went everywhere with him and I mean everywhere ( Pub, Restaurants, Work the little dog would just sit outside and wait and he would take a table near the window to keep an eye him) and this dog use to get absolutely fifthy (imagine a white fluffy dog hanging out in the bilge of a boat), he would just brush and rinse him most days.

He was fine.

Roo

Actually engine oil and grease are extremely difficult to get out of the coat, ordinary shampoos don't have any effect. I had one of my dogs at a friend's place a few weeks ago while her son was doing some work on his car and of course he lay down on an oily rag and got it all over himself. I ended up washing him in neat dishwashing liquid and even then it took two attempts. I would imagine that washing the dog in detergent on a regular basis would be highly detrimental to his coat.

Edited by Miranda

I take my 12 week old to work everyday. He is in a workshop also, however not with oil and grease. I bought 10 metre lunge lead from Horseland. He gets to roam free until I need to use some thing that could drip on the floor like paint, glue etc then I place him on the lunge lead. I have put the lead in a place where I know it will keep him out of harms way. I mark on the floor where he can get to and just don't put stuff inside that line.

My recommendation is to use a a big plastic tub that you get from Bunnings (depending on the size of your dog, by the way what breed is he?) fill it with fresh water and at the end of the day just dunk him in it, and use one of the nit combs your used to get from a Barbershop (the really fine round plastic ones) and run this through his coat at the end of the day.

As your OH would know, there is not many shampoo's that will truely break down oil and grease. You typically need to use a special hand wash etc. Using the nit comb will generally remove most the grease and oil mechanically.

I used to work with a guy who was a marine machanic (those guys get covered head to toe in crap) he had the most wonderful Cavalier King Charles Spaniel that went everywhere with him and I mean everywhere ( Pub, Restaurants, Work the little dog would just sit outside and wait and he would take a table near the window to keep an eye him) and this dog use to get absolutely fifthy (imagine a white fluffy dog hanging out in the bilge of a boat), he would just brush and rinse him most days.

He was fine.

Roo

Thanks Roo - I thought I was going to get 'in trouble' for having in a work shop. The plan is eventually to get him on a long lead and when older we're hoping he'll be able to wander without too much trouble.

Bronson is a black male lab and is 2 months old. He loves water so I think he'd love to be dunked in a tub! That is another issue we are having - how to keep water IN the bowl instead of him splashing it all out / tiping it over himself and running around wtih the container - need to source some heavy set bowls.

I'd be focussing on preventing the contamination of his coat rather than trying to remove it. Oil and grease can be absorbed through the skin and won't do him any good in the long run.

A crate in the workshop might solve the problem.

at 2 months couldnt you put him in a puppy pen on a bit of clean floor that way he wouldnt get so dirty everyday!!! :cry:

be very careful with pups around workshops - my mum used to do reception at a 'workshop' they went thru 2 baby puppies getting sick and dying. They never said it was the workshop but mum always had a terrible cough when she worked there and suspected the pups had breathed something in.

make sure he doesnt lick anything off his coat/paws

im sure you/we would hate anything to happen to your baby ;)

sorry forgot to add, like Poodlefan posted do your best to avoid the grease and oil getting on the coat in the first place.

But also realise that it will happen occasionally.

I would put the pup on a lunge lead straight away, that way he can see what is going on in the shed. No joke my 12 week through watching is getting the idea of when to get out of the way. Also he has taken to laying outside in the sun, he has worked out that I can't leave without going past him, and it is better to sit outside in the fresh air in the sun than walk around a dusty shed all day.

ETA: If you give the pup the choice between being able to sit /lay outside the shed or inside via the lunge lead, after a couple of weeks he will choose outside in the sun. Just make sure he can see you for the first few weeks and whatever you do , do not play with him inside the shed, not even a toss of the ball at lunch. And make sure everyone in the shed ignores him outside of smoko and lunch. The only person who should give him attention is your OH. (this is just for the first 3-6 months, so he doesn't become a pain the shed)

Off topic a little bit, at the shed tell your OH to keep an eye on people picking him up especially customers etc, I dont allow anyone to pick up my dog, except me or the OH to get him out of harms way quickly. You do not want him pestering clients etc.

Edited by Roo

oh and one more thing, be very firm and consistant in the shed for your OH and the dogs safety. You will be amazed at how much he will pick up in only a few weeks, if he gets consistant messages all day everyday.

But remember to give him some free, puppy play time when you get home, otherwise it is easy to fall in the trap of the only thing your dog experiences is firm training and sleep. I take my pup to the park after work for at least 30 mins where I give him minimal correction and lots of kicking the ball around and laying on the ground with him playing. Then we run around the backyard just mucking around.

Roo

Stick a clean brick in an 87cent bunnings bucket for his water. Perfect for the shed and home. When it breaks go and buy another one. When he is not so clumsy remove the brick, 10 litres of water is heavy enough not to be accidently knocked over. A lab pup will be able ot reach a bucket for a drink sometime before 12 weeks I would suspect.

My OH works in the work shop all alone so clients and other workers aren't a problem. He gets friends that visit and make a fuss of the dog. I put him on the lead this morning for the first time and he went crazy - took me ages to get the lead out of his mouth. I think what happens with the OH is that Bronson whines and OH is a big softy and lets him out for a bit. I know, I know - that won't help things in the long run - but it is easy for me to dictate what he should be doing when I am not there. We'll try and get him on a lead straight away.

Thinks for the tip about the water bucket.