Acting Like A Lunatic....

Roxy, does the Dog if left in the Car for a longer period attack the interior? Tony

No, she has never destroyed anything in the car. Upon my return she is always sitting up watching for me.

Does the behaviour occur in any other situation? Does he follow you around the house and get distressed if separated by a barrier etc?

She will follow a little bit, but not a great lot. Quite often if we are settled down to watch tv at the front of the house, she will take herself off to the back of the house to lay on her bed.

I would approximate that 75% of the time I can move around the house and she will stay put where she is.

As an example I can go into our ensuite and shut the door and when I come out she will be asleep in her bed, no wingeing no crying. But, if I go out the front of the house for example, she will watch from the front window.... but there is no carrying on.

Edited by roxy's mum

Roxy,what happens when the Dog starts going off in the Car?Do you immediately rush back to the Car? Tony

No, never!!

I try to make my exit and return as fuss free as possible by saying nothing and giving no reaction.

Roxy,I understand what your saying about not making a fuss when you come back, but fuss or no fuss your still back in the Car.

Roxy this would be my first approach in this situation.I would pick an area or Roads where you could drive where a bit of fuss or noise will not annoy anybody.I would put the Dog in the Car and drive off.Once your in the quite area I would start.Randomly I would stop the Car and get out as you say ever so casually and paying no attention to the Dog.I would walk away from the Car and just wait and watch.The Dog will go off.Let her go off.Watch for her calming down even slightly.When she calms down even a little go back to the Car and get in.Your rewarding her with your presence for calm behaviour.I would repeat this by gradually going further from the Car and making your stay out of the Car longer.

The first couple of times it will be a big fight and you will have to stick to your Guns to get a result.You have to stay out of the Car still she shows even the slightest change towards calmer behaviour.As she gets the Idea progressively ask for more and more calmer behaviour till she stays in the Car quitely while your gone. Tony