Walking

scarletts mummy

I have a 10 mth old T.T is it best to walk with a harness or collar and lead.She is not the best when we approach other dogs ,she barks and growls and rears up, it is very embarrasing. I try to walk her daily so she gets used to other dogs .What is the best approach ?

Edited by scarletts mummy

I wouldn't reccomen a harness as harnesses are for pulling dogs such as sleigh dogs etc. Harnesses naturally teach a dog to pull.

I would reccomend a Martingale Collar, it has a small length of chain at the back, mind you a trainer/behaviourist will find the most suitable training tool for your dog.

I would reccomend you seek the advice of a behaviourist pronto to deal with your dogs behaviour issues as they will only get worse as your dog matures and it goes untreated.

I personaly reccomend: http://www.k9force.net/

I have a 10 mth old T.T is it best to walk with a harness or collar and lead.She is not the best when we approach other dogs ,she barks and growls and rears up, it is very embarrasing. I try to walk her daily so she gets used to other dogs .What is the best approach ?

My dog did the rear up thingy and was nervous especially if a dog or person was behind her. We found in our case that lots of obed training surrounded by other dogs and people, in front and behind, eventually did the trick. She is now 14 months old and a different dog. Once they realise these things are not a threat, hopefully their behaviour will change. Just repeat, repeat repeat the positve. I don't really think a harness is good. I know many people here don't like them, but while my dog was like this i found a 'halti' type easiest. Now she is confident and easy to walk on her ordinary day collar. It just took a bit of time and I couldn't hold her on a check chain or collar when she reared up etc. She was too strong for me when in a 'panic'. Anyway, try whatever you think best. All dogs are different. Good luck, keep persevering!! :confused:

Recommend you contact your state Canine Control body who will advise you on obedience clubs near you.

Often your local vet will know about local obedience classes run by these clubs too.

You are better off going to these clubs rather than the commercial enterprises.