Sibling Rivalry

Kahn

Brother and sister Diego and Layla wrestle…. A lot. We (OH and I) got two puppies because we wanted our dogs to have a best friend when we were away, not an enemy. Sometimes it seems like they might actually do some damage. They play fight when we are trying to do a little training session. So one of them will be “sitting” and the other will run up and knock them over and they will start wrestling. They play fight when we are playing with them. Sometime they will just plain ignore us while we are squeaking little toys, running around playing fetch with ourselves (trying to distract them but failing miserably).

Also Layla (the girl) often cries or yaps loudly whilst Diego has a hold around her neck/shoulder area, but then 5 mins later she wags her tail and happily pounces on him when he is not looking. And I have recently found some small scabbing sores on both dogs’ necks. I assume this is from bites from each other.

Originally, we thought we should ignore it because they were playing; then we thought we should ignore it because they needed to sort out who’s the boss/dominant of the two – but clearly neither is since they are both only little. But it is starting to get annoying and we are feeling like we are definitely NOT the boss as they tend to ignore us when they are fighting/playing. Should we intervene? How will that help when we are not around?

Any Advice?

Breed: Border Collie

Layla preparing to pounce

Diego manages to turn it around and get the upper hand

For a start you probably want to train them separately - one in the house, one training, or one in the yard, one on a walk. That way they can concentrate on you and what you are doing in regards to training instead of being distracted by their brother/sister. I have three dogs and train them separately on walks, and sometimes in the yard. Once they have the hang of what is required, you can practice together for more distraction (stays or one staying one heeling or recall etc) but at the start it is going to be too much distraction.

You also might want to get them used to being separated so they don't become too dependent on each other. So that one doesn't howl the house down if you take the other for a walk, or to the vet. It is good for them to develop their own personalities, instead of being part of a pair. We have a few pairs of dogs at work, that really have no identity separate from their partner. They follow each other around and don't interact with the other dogs, or even us much, and separating them causes problems.

They play fight when we are trying to do a little training session. So one of them will be “sitting” and the other will run up and knock them over and they will start wrestling. They play fight when we are playing with them. Sometime they will just plain ignore us while we are squeaking little toys, running around playing fetch with ourselves (trying to distract them but failing miserably).

This is normal puppy play and they should be allowed to play like this on and off throughout the day, BUT not all day, and not when you are trying to teach them.

Remember that the pups are only babies.10 week old puppies have very short attention spans so no more than a few minutes training at a time. Food training is the best way to start such young ones.

The only thing I train together is sitting nicely. EVERYTHING else is trained separately at this age.

You will be amazed how quick they will learn to sit nicely if you give them treats, eg cooked chicken or cheese or sausage pieces,in very small pieces, Call them and Only give it, when they are sitting in front of you. If one sits that one get a treat.

You said one pup is yours the other is for OH. So when play gets to rough both you and OH pick up a pup and hold it firmly but lovingly, pup will struggle at first but will clam down soon enough. DON'T let pup go until he/she has settled down and has laid in your arms a few minutes having a nice cuddle, this way you are teaching pup that you are the boss, that he can only go when you say.

To train pups take them away from each other preferably out of sight. But remember only for a few minutes at a time they are still so young and food is the easiest way.

Most of all enjoy your pups :thumbsup:

Edited by therese

Thanks for all the advice.

That article about multi dogs was very useful. "objectivity" is required because honestly I have my favourite and my husband has his and secretly we both are rooting for our favourite to be dominant (this is hard to admit)

The only thing I train together is sitting nicely. EVERYTHING else is trained separately at this age.

You will be amazed how quick they will learn to sit nicely if you give them treats, eg cooked chicken or cheese or sausage pieces,in very small pieces, Call them and Only give it, when they are sitting in front of you. If one sits that one get a treat.

You are right. Sitting is the only thing they do well together. Anything else they tend to just get really distracted by each other (we never have a training session of more than 5 minutes or so)

normal_Layla_and_Diego_9wks%20020.jpg

You also might want to get them used to being separated so they don't become too dependent on each other. So that one doesn't howl the house down if you take the other for a walk, or to the vet. It is good for them to develop their own personalities, instead of being part of a pair.

This is something I never thought about but makes perfect sense. Will start separating them for short periods. Right now they have been separated for 20 minutes (for the first time in their life) and they were ok (only because they were napping) but Diego has just starting whining a little as he has woken up. But will definitely do this every now and then.