Aggresive Dog On Lead

Well, this is the thing. I've tried getting his attention by calling in an upbeat happy tone. He's not interested. He does the backflip thing as well, which is quite a spectacle, considering that he's about 25kgs now. I've tried turning and walking the other way. He twists himself around and walks backwards! I've tried completely ignoring him and walking confidently, placing myself ahead of him and between him and the other dog. He will try to bowl me over to get to it.

Erny, I agree with you, and as the problem evidently lies with me not being able to anticipate this behaviour and prevent it, I cannot leave it to chance. Being in Canberra, I simply cannot get to see Steve in Kurrajong. I am saving up for professional help for this problem, but so far no one has been able to recommend anyone here. A trainer is something I also do not want to leave to chance.

At home I can bring any person or dog into the yard without a problem. His favourite playmate used to be a 2kg chihuahua for goodness sakes!

For the time being, I take advantage of the fact that no one else wants to walk at night time in Canberra because it's too cold, and take my two out after 6pm when I'm not likely to see any other dog walkers.

I understand difficulties associated with time and distance. But for the sake of knowing you'd be seeing a person who already has testimonials of plenty of successes, you might find (even with the travel involved) that it will cost you less and take less time than elsewise.

Saying the above, I admit I don't know how far it is from Canberra to Kurrajong.

Is Steve Austin any closer?

ETA: It does sound like you are permitting him to breach reaction threshold. Because thresholds can change due to fluidity of environments, this can be difficult to determine and training for behaviour modification needs to be done in a controlled environment. It's easier when someone who knows can show you. :)

Edited by Erny

I understand difficulties associated with time and distance. But for the sake of knowing you'd be seeing a person who already has testimonials of plenty of successes, you might find (even with the travel involved) that it will cost you less and take less time than elsewise.

Saying the above, I admit I don't know how far it is from Canberra to Kurrajong.

Is Steve Austin any closer?

ETA: It does sound like you are permitting him to breach reaction threshold. Because thresholds can change due to fluidity of environments, this can be difficult to determine and training for behaviour modification needs to be done in a controlled environment. It's easier when someone who knows can show you. :laugh:

I'm pretty sure Canberra to Kurrajong would be at least 4 hours. Steve Austin seems to be in Dural, which is a similar distance (perhaps a little it less). I guess it depends on the number sessions I need - a trip up to Sydney one weekend would be feasible, but not multiple. Thanks for the suggestion though - I had not heard of this one before. Perhaps they will be able to give me a referral.