In Memory Of Cathy

Danois

Today is the 12th anniversary of the day on which my best friend was killed along with 13 others at Cave Creek in NZ. She was just 16 years old and our families had been friends since we were babies. Cathy was such a huge animal lover too.

Time has meant that Cathy is not in my thoughts every day and when I do think of her it is usually of the good times such as horse riding with the horse that liked to pig jump, our Mums telling us off constantly for talking until the early hours of the morning and the silly letters we used to write to each other. But today it hurts like mad.

I hope no one minds me posting this in Rainbow Bridge given Cathy did not have 4 legs or fur - but her nickname was Alien!!

I miss you Cathy.

xx

Thanks Becky in Oz. It was an entirely preventable accident which makes me mad. 13 young people (and 1 teacher) with promising futures ahead of them were taken from their families unnecessary when, if people had done their jobs properly, would not happened. Another student was left parapalagic. Dad (through being in forestry) had a lot to do with the Department of Conservation who built the platform and was not surprised the accident happened due to their usual corner and cost cutting. Essentially DOC built a viewing platform which was not securely anchored into the ground and over time it got looser until 28 April when it gave way entirely throwing them all into the dry creek bed.

There was a government enquiry but in the end no charges were laid as DOC had immunity from prosecution.

One thing I learnt which brought me comfort was the fact that Cathy was good friends with a classmate called Kit. After the accident, we realised we knew Kit too - used to play with him every weekend for several years when I was little as our fathers played cricket together. Cathy and Kit never knew the connection.

It was an entirely preventable accident which makes me mad. 13 young people (and 1 teacher) with promising futures ahead of them were taken from their families unnecessary when, if people had done their jobs properly, would not happened. Another student was left parapalagic. Dad (through being in forestry) had a lot to do with the Department of Conservation who built the platform and was not surprised the accident happened due to their usual corner and cost cutting. Essentially DOC built a viewing platform which was not securely anchored into the ground and over time it got looser until 28 April when it gave way entirely throwing them all into the dry creek bed.

That's pretty much what I just read.

How frightening for them, and yes how angry family and friends would be, and rightly so.

I hope they are getting things done correctly, now.