5 1/2 Month Old Beagle

miss shel

Oh - I saw a "working" beagle in customs at the Int airport a little while ago, the handler weighed the beag on the scales in front of me and it was almost 17 kg! :cry: It was very tall and leggy... freak beagle! :mad

Probably all the reward munchies it gets from frinding all that contraband :mad

Dogfish

hehe yes I'm sure! I think my beagle looks at the "working" beagles in total jealously... "you mean they get treats just for SNIFFING????? :mad

Oh - I saw a "working" beagle in customs at the Int airport a little while ago, the handler weighed the beag on the scales in front of me and it was almost 17 kg! It was very tall and leggy... freak beagle!

My 8 month old beagle puppy is taller than all the other adult beagles I've seen, he's not fat but he does weigh about 16-17kgs. Hopefully he won't grow much bigger than that, otherwise he won't be able to get into his doggie door!!

He just has oodles of energy though, we take him for a run every night and then give him his dinner which must then give him an extra boost because he doesn't get tired until quite late!!

Hi everyone

I have a 5 1/2 month old beagle, that is very active. (as im sure all beagles are)

I was told not to walk him when he was young, can I start walking him now? If so, how long should I walk him for?

He is now 15kg, he runs alot in the yard and we play games with him, but I think a good walk would be good. He loves new places.

any help is appreicated.

Shel

Hi,

Walking now is fine. It's best to start with short walks say 15 minutes for starters then gradually build up to 30 minutes. Make sure you are doing the walking on a flat surface. You may find that he wants to walk for longer which will be fine but you just need to make sure you don't over do it because they are still growing. It might take a while to get him used to the lead so give it a try in your back yard first. Keep talking to him the entire you are walking, teaching him to heel and praising him for when he is being good.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...