Scaredy Lion Dog

~JoLu~

Hi guys,

I know that there are a couple of other threads relating to dogs and fear, but I didn't want to hijack anyone elses :mad

OH and I just put the gas heater on for the first time since we got Jonty and he did not like it :mad

He point blank refused to come into the TV room with us (whereas usually we can't keep him away), and wouldn't even come close to the heater. He would have to walk past the heater to get into the room and was having none of it.

I read some of the other threads which suggested treating the "new object" like nothing special, so OH and I just carried on watching TV, talking, typing whatever, in the hope Jonty would realise he was missing out on the company and come in. Jonty started "freaking out" and howling so OH (big softy) turned the heater off and put it back against the wall where it had been. Eventually he disappeared and I found him lying on our bed (naughty boy). He would only walk half-way down the hallway back to the TV room.

We put him outside (as we usually do around this time of night so he can do his thang) and when he came back in, he finally came in the room with us and has settled on his beanbag!!!

Any suggestions as to how to approach this tomorrow??? I thought I might move the heater into it's "winter" position whilst he's out for his morning walk, so he's got all day to get used to it being in that position. But I don't know if it is the heater, the heat coming from it or maybe even the gas smell that is freaking him out.

I used to live with a dobie and he loved the gas heater... we'd all fall asleep in front of it!!!!

Sorry for the long post but it was really weird!!!! Any help??

Edited by maya papaya

:) Such brave big things arent they just!!

Our kelpie would get in the gas heater if she could, I'm sure, but as for Zola (RR), she likes to keep her distance.

I dont know if its the igniter noise, or the smell of the gas, or fumes coz she'll sit on top of the wood fire! Crazy dog :mad

Perhaps try leaving it in its "winter" spot like you said, without lighting it for a while and see what happens.

Miekah :mad used to spin out at the igniter noise, and we had a malfunctioning gas stove that used to "click" when the oven heated up... :):) that poor dog would try and hide anywhere she could just so she didnt have to deal with the noise!

Good luck!

RG

Hey RG!!

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe it is yet another weird Ridgeback quirk then :rofl: !!! I think it may have been the smell (hence why he wouldn't walk down the hall at one point).

He's had a couple of "sniffs" around the heater this morning (it is switched off), so we'll see how he goes.

I hope he gets over it, or else it could be a loooooooooooong cold winter :laugh: .

MP

:love:

When it's on, you could casually offer a few treats (when pup hungry, also) to reward getting closer. You could put food bowl in the same room if practical, then slowly move it closer to the heater. Keep it all very matter-of-fact, so pup doesn't get the idea that being a big goose gets lots of attention.

My pup's not scared of many things, but you'd have thought a plastic bag at training was a burglar the other night. I casually walked him up to it and told him he was an absolute goose for barking at a plastic bag :) . Was fine, then.

Sorry I can't offer a solution but I'd like to add my suggestion of what he could be scared of.

Sable cowers at anything that expels air at a high pressure (ie bike pump, silent whistle). Seeing as dogs hearing is so much more sensitive then ours, maybe your heater is making a high pitched whistled as the gas comes out.

I know this doesn't really help but good luck

I've had a foster dog terrified of a Cow Skin Rug. I'd suggest completely ignoring the behaviour, I know this will be hard as you want the dog to be with you, curiousity will set in.

To get the foster pooch over the phobia, I was playing with him where he felt safe and then moved the tug of war down the hallway to where the rug was in the other room, over a couple of days he was sleeping on it.

You can try placing treats on the floor leading into the room but don't go to an effort to get te dog to acknowledge the treats, the dog knows it's there.

Hi everyone!!!!

Thanks for the great suggestions :D .

As luck would have it, it's not been cold enough since this incident to put the gas heater on (Murphys Law :) ). I've moved it into position though. Jonty has taken the opportunity to have a good sniff at it, and no longer pays it any attention.

Rhi, the sound theory is interesting, as he is quite afraid of the buses when they make swishhhhhhhhh noise (sounds like alot of air escaping at pressure - sorry I'm not very mechanically minded :rofl: ). The heater is fairly new though, but as you say, his hearing is better than ours.

Hopefully it'll start get cold enough to try out some of your great ideas.

I'll keep ya'll posted.....

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we finally have success!!!! Jonty is now coming in and out of the room with the heater on :)

He's still a little wary of it, and gives it odd looks every now and then, but he's no longer afraid !!!!

We used the "Hansel and Gretel" method with a trail of his dog biccies into the room (thanks sas) and just pretty much ignored him. Eventually his need to be near us overcame his fear of the heater and he is now sleeping happily on his beanbag one again ;)

The cat (my namesake Maya) also assisted by helping herself to one of Jonty's biccies and snuggling up on the couch with us.

So to everyone who helped :eek: :D

DOL to the rescue once again...

PS. He just moved himself and is now lying directly IN FRONT of the heater :D