Trying To Urinate Often With Only A Few Drops

My 8 month old pup is squatting every 5 minutes to urinate but only a few drops come out. I've phoned the Vet and they suspect a urinary tract infection and we have an appointment tomorrow morning (couldn't fit us in this evening). The Vet who owns the practice is not there at the moment, nor will he be there tomorrow. I'm sure he would have asked us to come in tonight. I told then about the blood but they didn't seem concerned :D It's freaking me out.

She was fine during the day - peeing normally, it was just when we took the dogs for a walk this evening we noticed it.

Has anyone else experienced this - I'm very worried.

She's eating normally and running around playing with her brother. She doesn't appear ill or in pain.

My mums cat used to get this.

It definately sounds like urinary tract, but going to the vets tomorrow morning is fine. No need to panic.

It can be quite common in cats especially, but with the right diet can be controlled.

My 8 month old pup is squatting every 5 minutes to urinate but only a few drops come out. I've phoned the Vet and they suspect a urinary tract infection and we have an appointment tomorrow morning (couldn't fit us in this evening). The Vet who owns the practice is not there at the moment, nor will he be there tomorrow. I'm sure he would have asked us to come in tonight. I told then about the blood but they didn't seem concerned :clap: It's freaking me out.

She was fine during the day - peeing normally, it was just when we took the dogs for a walk this evening we noticed it.

Has anyone else experienced this - I'm very worried.

She's eating normally and running around playing with her brother. She doesn't appear ill or in pain.

No - but I had a doggie awhile ago that had something else and needed to provide a sample - so they can test it for infection!!!!

The vet will probably request this (just like us female humans who get cystitis / urinary tract infections!!!)

Such JOY to do with a doggie ;) - first find a container - a chinese-type takeaway dish is ideal. Wash with soapy water and rinse and dry well.

Next is the fun part - follow doggie around and when they start to squat (gotta be quick!!!!)- try to get the dish underneath their 'bottie' to catch as much as you can. The vet doesn't need much - just a GOOD amount of drops will do - (doesn't have to be cupfuls!!!).

Ah em - the doggie will hate it - they keep thinking "YOH - I am trying to PEE here! Why the hell are you trying to shove THAT underneath me...."

I am a newbie on these forums - so do snoop around - I am sure you will find more hints and tips on getting a urine sample.

( I remember walking around the block at 6.30 in morning with my doggie!! I was dressed in the fair-dinkum pink dressing gown and fluffy slippers!!!. Thought it would happen really quickly but doggie did not WANT to oblige :clap: and took us over half an hour!!!!

Good luck - keep smiling - I am sure all will be well. :D

Is she desexed - if not she may be coming in season which would account for the blood and the squatting often, the swelling that happens when they come in season can make them feel like they need to go more often but they also start scent marking at this time.

Edit for spelling

Edited by emilee

Is she desexed - if not she may be coming in season which would account for the blood and the squatting often, the swelling that happens when they come in season can make them feel like they need to go more often but they also start scent marking at this time.

Edit for spelling

Thanks Emilee. She was adopted through rescue so she was desexed at 8 weeks.

Ah ok so thats not the problem, the easiest way to get a urine sample from a girl if you want to save time tomorrow is to catch it in an old clean soup ladle and then pour it into a clean container. (and then keep the soup ladle for future urine catchings :D )

Ah ok so thats not the problem, the easiest way to get a urine sample from a girl if you want to save time tomorrow is to catch it in an old clean soup ladle and then pour it into a clean container. (and then keep the soup ladle for future urine catchings :laugh: )

Having had the same problem myself before, an ice cream container is the easiest way of cathching a unrine sample. Sounds lile a urnine infection to me. Good luck!

If you take the urine sample in the morning before you go to the vets - try and get the first one of the day and keep it in the fridge (disgusting I know) but it makes for a more acurate reading unless you are going to be at the vets within 20 mins of collecting the sample...

Good Luck!

Thanks everyone. She has been to the Vet and is now on antibiotics.

On the upside, its approximately a 60km round trip to the Vet and this is the first time that she HASN'T been car sick (and I gave her breakfast this morning) :thumbsup:

Edited by benny123

Yep, managed to get a sample at the vets (as she was peeing about 10ml every 5 minutes). Did manage to catch a small sample at home first thing this morning, but her brother bowled me over while I was on my haunches catching it, so I wore that lot :thumbsup: .

It's a urinarty tract infection - they have a few theories why. Her vulva is quite recessed and they think it's because of early desexing (8 weeks as she was adopted through rescue) and they think it didn't develop properly because of lack of hormones. As a consequence she's always quite wet in that area as it doesnt get a chance to dry after weeing and this may have caused the infection.

If it is a reoccuring problem she may need surgery.

Thanks Kristie.

She had it once before at about 5 months (she's almost 9 months now). The Vet phoned today and wants her to have 21 days of antibiotics (she was prescribed 14 days yesterday by one of the vets who works Thursdays - our Vet, the practice owner takes Thursdays off), then a week after she finishes she has to go in and have a general anesthetic and have urine taken directly from her bladder (poor baby :confused: ) to ensure that the infection has gone. He'd rather do that than look at surgery at this point.

Poor little girl, I really hope we can fix it this time. I know rescues need to be desexed before rehoming and I would do the same if I were a rescuer. It's probably a 1 in a whatever chance that problems may occur with early desexing and it's not helped by the fact that she pees with excitement.

PS. Love Hunta - have done since she was born on HH's thread.

This is my baby girl with the dicky wee machine post-13177-1180690630_thumb.jpg

Thanks about Hunta. SHe is a ratbag but we love her. She gives the best snuggles.

Poor love with the 'dicky wee machine' :confused: love that name for it.

I hope it goes away cause an operation and recovery sounds yukky.

Hopefully once it is cleared it will be it and won;t keep coming back.

Have you tried giving her cranberry capsules? That is really good for urinary issues.