An Old Westie

A work mate of mine has a 9 year old westie who is from the sounds of things getting a bit arthuritic. During the day if another dog or a person walks past to close to the fence he still runs at the fence with no problems he'still chase the ball and loves his walks. when he does this there appears to be no problems with his gait at all. however he has problems getting up and down the small back step or out of his bed without limping or showing signs of pain. Can anyone suggest a drug free way to help him.

His owner is getting very upset with his problems as she has had him from the age of 3 weeks and treats him the same way as any of her kids even feeds him what she eats. :laugh:

you could put a ramp with good grip over the top of the steps, this will help the dog walk up easier.

as for drugs etc.....best to talk to a vet and see what they suggest.

Also maybe try giving the dog glucosamine tablets? ( thing that what there called) arthritic health food tablets. human type are safe for doggies.

Edited by wagalot

G'Day Andy,

Signs you mention suggest degenerative joint disease (DJD) most likely in the spine and or hips/knees

As dogs4fun says... get him assessed by the vet to see if it is that and not some other issue requiring attention. Your friend obviously loves him alot and from the sounds of things he's not getting around too well and she wouldn't want to see him endure chronic pain when he doesnt really need to.

Re still runnnig around at fenceline + playing ball....

Dogs often over-ride mild-moderate pain with the eagerness to please us, the owner of many years (eg going for a walk, chasing a ball) or to attned to an exciting stimulus (eg chasing a cat, or running along a fence).

The early clues of your dog suffering spinal/hip pain are difficulty rising or going up/down steps/stairs/getting into the car etc. As it progresses, the pain gets more severe and he will have difficulty & reluctance to do more and more types of physical activity.

If the Vet finds DJD, the most effective and rapid relief is gained by medications. The response can be dramatic in terms of mobility and happiness! Modern ones work far better and the side FX are also fewer than the old days but ask the Vet for more info on this.

The vet will probably suggest avoid stairs if poss, and the great idea from Wagalot re making a non slip ramp. The Vet may also suggest some physical therapy as well as some over the counter products such as Sashas Blend, Glucosamine (as Wagalot suggests), Chondriotin, and green Lipped mussel extract. The active ingredients of these are chemical compounds with minimal side Fx. Not all are suited to all dogs and those with severe arthritis often dont respond.

VitE and Se can also help some dogs, but dont use it off your own back as too much of VitE and selenium is toxic.

So the Vet will give you the best run down on options to help him out... good luck!

Can anyone suggest a drug free way to help him.

His owner is getting very upset with his problems as she has had him from the age of 3 weeks and treats him the same way as any of her kids even feeds him what she eats. :laugh:

Basics like keeping dog warm in cooler weather, well-cushioned bedding, avoiding stairs (make into a little ramp with rubber or carpet for tread?) would help. Perhaps even a warm pack (wheat bag) in the mornings. The other posts have great suggestions and info.

Can I ask why no drugs?

A combination of medication and those other things will give her dog more relief than either one alone. Not many people like to give or take medication, but if you have, or know anyone with arthritis, it's more than just mild pain.

Best wishes :thumbsup:

You could add a supplement to the diet but I would rather ensure a dog was healthy and the probs were def arthritis before I presumed.

I take chondroitin/glucosamine myself and it's safe for animals. Check out the vet product websites and you can normally obtain these products a little cheaper.

Joint Guard is the best on the market at the moment. It has chondroitin and glucosamine, msm (methylsulfonylmethane) which is a major supplier of sulfur, it is an natural anti inflamatory. Manganese which is a mineral essential to the formation of connective tissue such as cartilage. Vitamin C which is essential for the repair and maintenace of cartliage and bones etc. It is really good stuff. There are other products on the market but I have found the best results with Joint Guard.

• 4 weeks later...

:rofl: Just an update, She took him to the vet and it turns out that he just had a muscle brusing when I asked her what had happened she said that it was possibley when he crashed into the wall at the bottom of the steps at her friends house.

If I had been told this in the first place .........

Thanks any way for your advise