Left Jak With Friend... Neither Coped

Rhi*Jak*Ed

Hi everyone, and thanks for all your comments.

The only problem I was really having with Jak before I went away was her play biting, and it is something that I have been working on with her for a while. I do a high pithced "ouch" and I walk away, so it doesn't matter what we are playing, it stops. Unfortunately there have been no "quick" fixes with it (some of you may remember me seeking assistance in this area previously), and of course her witching hour! haha. She has picked up on other things very quickly, this unfortunately seems to be something that will take some time. But I won't give up!!

Throughout puppy preschool the lady who ran it kept telling me that she was the most beautiful natured jack russell that she'd ever come across. She plays so well with other dogs that it would surprise even me (I've only ever had very anti-social dogs in the past!). And she does play well, she just loves it. Before she got all her needles and therefore before it was safe for me to walk her, I would take her round to my parents place to play with their jack russell. She loved it. And of course she loved puppy preschool and seemed to know that Wednesday's were her night to get out and have some fun! Now that she's had her needles I take her to my nephew's football game of a Sunday morning (so around a lot of kids) and over to play with my friends two cattle dogs. In fact, they were having so much fun that their place date went for just on 8 hours! Needless to say, Jak slept very well that night and so did I! haha.

I think that there may have been a few reasons that may have caused her behaviour... It has taken some work on my behalf to assert my dominance over her, and I'd finally achieved it. Then of course I disappeared for a little bit! She has only had very minimal contact with my friend that came to look after her, and my friend has only ever really been around older dogs. Probably wasn't the best person for the job in hindsight... I have wondered if maybe she hit Jak, but in a way I'm petrified to ask. What if she did? I would hate to find out that she did, but I guess it's something I should know.

I typed out a big 6 page list of things for her to go by, how to get Jak to sit, drop etc and how to initiate and stop playtime to sleep time at night and even how to use the spray bottle to get her off her pants if she decided to latch on! haha. When I asked her if she was doing all those things she just kept saying that they weren't working. They work for me, but then I'd worked very hard to make SURE that they worked for me. I think maybe she tried them once, they didn't work so she gave up. Hence, Jak won - again! I even detailed how to play her favourite games, especially chasey and using her sausage treats to reward her for good play. When I asked her if she'd played it, she said no.

Another issue is that because of the set up at my house, she is inside during the day whilst I am at work. Like I said, I have worked very hard to assert my dominance over her, and I believe that one of the reasons I've had to work so hard is because she's been inside. I was coming home into her perceived "territory". She is not an awful dog by any means (hyperactive for sure!), and I think that her snarl at me last night was a carry over from what she was doing to my friend. After I yelled at her she seemed to drop back into our normal routine. Same for this morning... She was the same dog as before I left.

I think my pup was incredibly out of sorts whilst I was away. I will definitely get my friend back over to my place and reintroduce them to each other, hopefully with better results this time round.

1 were talking about an energetic JRT puppy - that has obviously been getting a bit hyped up about a few things - this is not what i would consider a dangerous dog that is going to rip my arm off!!

we each train differently and i believe its important that i or anyone else can approach my dogs and take things from them without any form of conflict - what if it were a child that didnt know the command etc.

i dont set up my dogs to fail and they never have.

i dont interupt their dinner every night - but sometimes they look liek they are about to push their bowl off the deck and i simply retrieve it fromthe edge and they continue....its not a big issue

sounds like Jak is back to normal and shes on top of the situation anyway.... :rofl:

I agree with what cavnrott has suggested in terms of teaching an out command or even a reliable drop in the presence of food. Once these are taught, then in some cases it MAY be appropriate to issue some kind of correction for non compliance to the command, regardless of whats in front of the dog. I never remove the bowl from my dogs while they're eating BUT i would be able to if the need was to arise. The correction if given needs to be about something other than the resource which is why teaching a command is very important. If the correction is about the resource you confirm in the dogs mind that it is of value and that they needed to be faster/ stronger to get it away from you or you away from it.

I feed my dogs the same way PF does- no one is allowed to steal from another dog and i look after everything. I have seen a significant improvement in one of my dogs who is a resource guarder toward other dogs (re food) just through controlling interactions- as it has been directed at another dog, she has never received a correction from me- rather the other dog has been told by me that approaching another dogs bowl is not on- as a result the resource guarding dog leaves it to me to take care of the situation so she does not have to.

In combination with any kind of training that involves the removal of an object OR asking the dog to stop eating- there must be a higher value reward than whats already in front of the dog. For example i might give my dogs their bowl, ask for a drop, dog stops eating, i add something of very high value and release the dog. You need to look at all facets of training an appropriate response- not just correcting the behaviour should it occur.

ok maybe i didnt explain well enough - but i would always use a command before doing anything (maybe thats just natural to me!!) - if i tell them to leave it they will step away so i can move the bowl etc...

i only have 2 so i dont have any issues with stealing food from bowls - both would prb let the ther take it!! Rogue like to lick Mavs bowl after hes finished but its after he has walked away and hes not fussed by it....

my dogs will let me do anything - them eating is of no effect - however i wouldnt want them to change character coz i hadnt used a command. I believe it is mutual respect to command before a task, so they get it right and i get what i want, however not every one knows their manners and someone strange may do something untoward and i dont want my dogs reacting negatively, so they are trained to follow command but not react adversed should it not be given ....

Hi everyone,

Well I have contacted a behaviourist (??) in order to combat Jak's new "issues". She got quite aggressive with my friend's dog yesterday so enough is enough. She's always been so wonderful with other dogs...

Anyway, he says he can help (at the price he's quoted he would want to be able to!).

Fingers crossed :-)

I feed my dogs the same way PF does- no one is allowed to steal from another dog and i look after everything. I have seen a significant improvement in one of my dogs who is a resource guarder toward other dogs (re food) just through controlling interactions- as it has been directed at another dog, she has never received a correction from me- rather the other dog has been told by me that approaching another dogs bowl is not on- as a result the resource guarding dog leaves it to me to take care of the situation so she does not have to.

In combination with any kind of training that involves the removal of an object OR asking the dog to stop eating- there must be a higher value reward than whats already in front of the dog. For example i might give my dogs their bowl, ask for a drop, dog stops eating, i add something of very high value and release the dog. You need to look at all facets of training an appropriate response- not just correcting the behaviour should it occur.

My my jrt who is getting agressive with fooda nd guarding it, it couldbe becuase i do not watch them eat and therefore they could swap bowls and she is getting sick of it?