6mth Old Bc Pup Started Weeing In The House

Lil Miss LeiLani

Zorro has always been very good in the house, only had one or two accidents.

In the last few days he has been weeing in the lounge room in the same spot. I think it must have something to do with it raining outside, and him being inside a lot more these past few days.

Weds arvo, OH brought him in, dried his paws and the dog weed behind the house. OH took him out, after about 20mins or so Zorro was let in, & went and wee-d in exactly the same spot in the middle of our lounge room (behind the couch - visible back, not up against a wall) - this happened another 2 times that afternoon.

Again yesterday, he wee-d and left a number 2 on the carpet (we weren't in the room for a couple of mins). Then last night he did a #2 in the bathroom (where he sleeps).

I personally think now that its because of the rain, he has been inside a lot more, and Monday night we made a fence to block him in to the covered outdoor area (have also left him a few metres of grassed area for him to use) as he was barking at the birds, so I don't know if this may have affected the situation also.

Maybe we need to take him outside more in the evenings. Whenever he goes to the door, we always let him out, and he's not inside for more than an hour without being let out (except when sleeping).

Any ideas ??

Are you just putting puppy outside on his own for 20 minutes or supervising? I still supervise my 6 month old boy when he goes outside, still give a command to 'toilet' and still rain praise on him when he does it. Make it fun to go outside - if you just put your dog out in the rain and don't want to venture out there yourself, well I can fully imagine why puppy wants to come in too!

You also need to thoroughly clean the area where he has been toileting inside so there is no trace of smell to remind him. There are some excellent commercial products available to neutralise odour but I'm sure someone will come along with some home remedies.

I'm not sure if OH went out with him - i was thinking that too, that we have to stand next to him and wait until he has gone wee-wees, and then praise. I actually heard him weeing from next to the window where I was sitting yesterday, after he ate his dinner & talked to him thru the window & lots of "good zorro's" after his completed the task!

I said to OH that he was going in the same spot cos he could smell the area, so I said we should clean the area really well, we also used carpet deodoriser on it last night, and suggested we push the couch back to cover up that particular area.

Thanks for the suggestions Spotted Devil !

There's a product called "Urine-Off", which is terrific for neutralising odours - some of the chemicals in your laundry cupboard can make it worse, but which ones escape me at the moment.

Try teaching a command to toilet as well....my lad is great with this now and will even squeeze out the tiniest amount of wee even if he doesn't really have to go. It's very handy in all sorts of situations. I use "quick, quick!" :thumbsup:

ETA: I don't even have to go fully out in the rain now...I just stand on the back step and Zig runs out, does his business (heaps of praise) and comes straight back for the towel dry! Takes less than 2 minutes.

ETA: Just read your post about the little sh*ts next door teasing your poor puppy.....I'd be furious it I were in your shoes. I crate my lad when I'm not home (luckily I'm studying so home a fair bit) just for that reason....building works behind us had me worried. Anyway, now that I've got that off my chest, perhaps that's why puppy wants to come inside to urinate - much safer! Definitely accompany him outside.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

That sounds wonderful ! I understand everything takes time - so we will moniter this alot more closely from now on. And with him peeing in the bathroom where he sleeps - perhaps he hasn't done his business when he has been let out at night before bed - I think we will have to go along with him and encourage him to do his thing and then he can come back in !

They're smart dogs so I'm sure he'll figure it out - with our help & lots of praise of course!

I think my friend uses that stuff - is it in a black bottle ? About $20 from pet stores ?

Yep - that's the stuff - black bottle and yellow label I think.

I'd think by 6 months he should be able to hold on over night, so I'd say you are spot on about him not going to the toilet before he's going to bed. Admittedly, Zig has always been a very mature puppy but he was holding on all night by 9 weeks. Don't forget to use some food treats to really convince him he's on track!

We brought him home at 3mths, and he was holding on all night then. Mind you, he was sleeping in his crate (borrowed from the Breeder) in our room, but now we've had to give the crate back & now he sleeps in the bathroom, so different surroundings.

I think though this week has been a big week for him, with getting the fence now & staying inside the house alot more as we don't want the kids teasing him etc & him barking, so now his run space is more limited during the day & night, and with the rain, we've kept him inside alot where its nice and warm.

So it is really partially/mostly our fault for not taking him out and staying with him.

I'm sure we will get it right this time! He'll now be getting used to his new 'area' and the rain has stopped today so we'll see how things go !

Thats such a lovely thing to say !!!! :-)

Yes, we are taking Zorro to obedience classes (tonight actually!)

I'm more excited about going now as he is no longer in the 'newbie' classes & is on the 2nd level (3 levels), and this new trainer is much better and we're learning more rather than just listening.

Thats such a lovely thing to say !!!! :-)

Yes, we are taking Zorro to obedience classes (tonight actually!)

I'm more excited about going now as he is no longer in the 'newbie' classes & is on the 2nd level (3 levels), and this new trainer is much better and we're learning more rather than just listening.

Sounds great - doesn't it give you the biggest buzz to see them progressing. Where are you training?

On the weeing thing we sometimes had the same problem with our little man (now 7month BC), but did exactly what others have suggested and supervised him outside. He's now 100%!!

Slightly ot, but is Zorro a bit timid atm. I've had a hell of a time with CK over the last month or so. Finally coming out of it now.

Cheers.

hi Reddii !

We are taking Zorro to Oxley (Obedience club of Brisbane), he was so good last week. After classes had finished (advanced class was still going) we let Zorro off the lead and OH ran across the field with Zorro by his side, then OH stopped, I called Zorro and he came running to me. I swear I was about to start crying !!! Was such a great moment. Couldn't stop cuddling him !! Lovely little fella !

Thats good to hear about Ck (whats his name ?). I think zorro will learn too, we jsut have to give him some guidance (and treats!)

I am having a bit of trouble with him around children (if you have seen my other post about agression towards children in behaviour - you will see the full story) - but i think thats cos the kids were throwing things over the fence, so when the kids came to meet him, he got very agressive & actually nipped the 8yo girl as she pat him on the head. Then afterwards when the kids came inside, we sat down with Zorro and he was quite scared and hiding behind us. Apart from that, he has been fine, still running off and playing at dog park etc, he did though for a day when we were at the dog park he just wanted to stay by us, and then after a while ran off with the other dogs.

In what way is CK being timid ? Is he desexed ?

hi Reddii !

We are taking Zorro to Oxley (Obedience club of Brisbane), he was so good last week. After classes had finished (advanced class was still going) we let Zorro off the lead and OH ran across the field with Zorro by his side, then OH stopped, I called Zorro and he came running to me. I swear I was about to start crying !!! Was such a great moment. Couldn't stop cuddling him !! Lovely little fella !

Thats good to hear about Ck (whats his name ?). I think zorro will learn too, we jsut have to give him some guidance (and treats!)

I am having a bit of trouble with him around children (if you have seen my other post about agression towards children in behaviour - you will see the full story) - but i think thats cos the kids were throwing things over the fence, so when the kids came to meet him, he got very agressive & actually nipped the 8yo girl as she pat him on the head. Then afterwards when the kids came inside, we sat down with Zorro and he was quite scared and hiding behind us. Apart from that, he has been fine, still running off and playing at dog park etc, he did though for a day when we were at the dog park he just wanted to stay by us, and then after a while ran off with the other dogs.

In what way is CK being timid ? Is he desexed ?

CK is his name - Kennel name is Totaly Obsessed (CK Obsession as in Calvin Klein.)

He's not desexed yet - will wait until about 12 months for that. I think his lines might be a bit timid by nature and on top of that he's was confined to his run/our house for about a month because of an injury. He's been out and about for the last 4 weeks now and is improving markedly.

What way has he been timid - just scared of EVERYTHING - wheelie bins, leaves, men (in particular men apart from me), you name it he's been hiding behind me.

He loves other dogs though so that's a good sign, just have to work on his manners a little - he hasn't been allowed to play with other dogs at all and gets very excited when he gets near them. it's 'only' jumping up on them like he does with our other pup, but i don't want it to lead to anything nasty with another dog.

I've always founds that Border Collies are very easy to house break and normally make errors only due to weather (as you've stated) or being unable to get out in time. If they make an error and you can catch them just correct. Then pop them outside til you can clean up the spot. I normally use a washing powder from the Supermarket called Bio Zet ... I think that is how you spell it.

You'll get it under control quick smart. :thumbsup:

Thanks Arcana !! Will try bio zet - do you just pour it over the spot and rub it in ? Like a paste ??

Your bc is beautiful by the way - and i just love the name

Reddii - i thought it might have been CK as in calv. klein ! Great name too!

ours is Zorro cos of the black face, I initially was going to get a female Germ Shep & had the name Thora picked out - but as it turned out, we bought a male bc! So Zorro it was - was between that or Dante - and OH preferred Zorro so we went for that.

Do your dogs bite your hands alot ?? We've tried and tried to stop him doing it, by yelping and walking away, to spraying our hands with lemon juice - but he still does it, and now with his adult teeth it hurts !

Where in Bris are you Arcana ?

Do your dogs bite your hands alot ?? We've tried and tried to stop him doing it, by yelping and walking away, to spraying our hands with lemon juice - but he still does it, and now with his adult teeth it hurts !

He does it a bit, but he just gets ahh or no and a time out and seems to be stopping it. He really is amazing though - even when he jumps up on you (also working on getting rid of that little gem that he's copies from our little girl BC) it is gentle and mouthing is the same, even with adult teeth. It's almost like he knows how to be considerate.

We are just lucky little miss (Xena) doesn't bite, her jumping habit is bad enough!! Nothing is gentle with destructo dog, everything is done at about a million miles an hour. Has made it a life threatening mission to teach tugging (at least she is good at it) and the 'take' command (lucky her mouth eye coordination is good!). At least she is gentle 'give'ing things back to me - if only because she doesn't want to!! :thumbsup:

Thats amazing ! Ours isn't really gentle which is a shame !! Still very cute though so i hate yelling/growling at him - but I know it needs to be done!! :-)

How old is the little miss Xena ?

Zorro likes jumping up a fair bit so we push him down gently, and I have now started turning my back to him. I also read somewhere about putting your knee up to stop them ???

Forget the yelling! Just stand up and turn your back every single time puppy bites or jumps up....don't be surprised if he tries even harder, though - it's perfectly normal. You must be 100% consistent. Grab a handful of treats - ignore puppy when he's being silly and jumping up and then the second he has 4 paws on the ground (without you saying a word) say "good boy" and treat. It's that simple....then progress to not giving attention/treat until puppy is sitting nicely....let him work out what you want - it's a great brain work out....just ignore until he sits and then praise and treat. You can use a clicker to pin-point the behaviour but simple positive reinforcement is a good start :thumbsup:

ETA: every time you push puppy down or yell at him, he's getting what he wants...attention!!!! Albeit negative...but any attention is better than none!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Thanks Spotted devil !

Will try that method and see how we go !

I did buy a clicker before we brought him home, but haven't used it yet as the breeder said you've got to be careful when using that to train, so we havent tried.

It doesn't help that his claws are sharp atm, getting clipped tomorrow which will be a big help !!

Forget the yelling! Just stand up and turn your back every single time puppy bites or jumps up....don't be surprised if he tries even harder, though - it's perfectly normal. You must be 100% consistent. Grab a handful of treats - ignore puppy when he's being silly and jumping up and then the second he has 4 paws on the ground (without you saying a word) say "good boy" and treat. It's that simple....then progress to not giving attention/treat until puppy is sitting nicely....let him work out what you want - it's a great brain work out....just ignore until he sits and then praise and treat. You can use a clicker to pin-point the behaviour but simple positive reinforcement is a good start :thumbsup:

ETA: every time you push puppy down or yell at him, he's getting what he wants...attention!!!! Albeit negative...but any attention is better than none!

Agree, no yelling. But I do find the voice correction works well - it doesn't have to be loud, just consistent as you say.

With the jumping I tell my dogs to sit ONCE and then wait for them to do it - no touching until they are sitting calmly.

will try that too Reddii. Once he sits & is settled, we can then pat him.

We were sitting watching tv last night, and for the first time since we got him (that i can remember), he actually slept out our feet ! It was sooo sweet !!!

Do you growl "NO" or "Down" or "Sit " at him ??