6mth Old Bc Pup Started Weeing In The House

Lil Miss LeiLani

Thanks Spotted devil !

Will try that method and see how we go !

I did buy a clicker before we brought him home, but haven't used it yet as the breeder said you've got to be careful when using that to train, so we havent tried.

It doesn't help that his claws are sharp atm, getting clipped tomorrow which will be a big help !!

Can I suggest you get the groomer to show you how to clip his claws - it's really helpful to have a dog that you can handle easily - teeth, ears, paws etc. Just play with his paws to get him used to you handling them. I clip Zig's claws once a week and both my cats lie on their back and purr like idiots when I do theirs....no tricks, just practice! Clicking is great fun - some people use it as a singular training tool but I just use it for specific exercises.

Just remember, that if this jumping up and biting has been a problem for a little bit, it will take some time for puppy to realise that he gets NOTHING out of it.

Reddi...rather than using a short, sharp voice correction (which just hypes the dog up) I use a low, drawn out commands like "Steady" to calm him - because he's mostly just so pleased to see me or excited because I have food etc. But not all dogs are the same so use what works best for you!

ETA: The bonus of calmly saying "Steady" is that it not only settles your puppy but makes the handler feel more relaxed too - when I say "no" I'm sure I'm frowning but when I say "Steady" I start to chill.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I have clipped his claws in the past, but the last time I did it he yelped so i think i went down a tiny little bit too far (even though i was cliipping the clear part) - then that freaked me out. There was no blood or anything though, I think he's smarter than we give him credit for!! lol

We know he's smart as in intelligent but he knows how to play us too !

I have started telling him to "settle" when he gets hypo to try and calm him down, so will stick with that and see how it goes.

The nail clipping is included in the hydro bath price, normally we wash him in the shower and do it on our own, but my sisters cats' nail clipper has opened up a shop about 10mins away and is doing discount bath & clipping ($10) so we are taking him there tomorrow.

will try that too Reddii. Once he sits & is settled, we can then pat him.

We were sitting watching tv last night, and for the first time since we got him (that i can remember), he actually slept out our feet ! It was sooo sweet !!!

Do you growl "NO" or "Down" or "Sit " at him ??

First command is sit - said in a command voice because it is not a correction - it is telling him what to do. Don't want them to think they are in trouble. Then voice correction if they don't do it from there - correction is either arrrgh or no. More likely to be arrrgh - old habits died hard, this was how I was first taught.

SD - I like the idea of 'steady'. Hadn't thought about it that way. I'm lucky that I find it pretty easy to keep my cool, and can switch between praise/command/correction easily, but OH has a bit of trouble and gets frustrated so everything tends to come out as a correction. So I might try it for us both so we are consistent. THANKS :)

Thanks Arcana !! Will try bio zet - do you just pour it over the spot and rub it in ? Like a paste ??

Your bc is beautiful by the way - and i just love the name

Where in Bris are you Arcana ?

* On the lino we just mop up with it as it gets rid of the scent. However on carpet I would wet the spot and lather the area and then wipe off.

* Thank you. We think Baci is quite a pretty girl, but we're a bit bias in the household. :)

* I'm in Bridgeman Downs which is on the Northside of Brisbane.

Have you got any other pics of Baci ???

Quite a few ppl live on the northside !

I'm on the westside.

Shame I can't make it to the meet n greet next week.

Would love to meet everyonen and their dogs !

This is a photo of Baci as a Pup.

post-10641-1181280653_thumb.jpg

This is a more adult Baci.

She is a gorgeous girl.

I just love that mouth open goofy BC look. My boy has it all the time. I'm sure he practices it when we aren't looking so he can pull it out when he is in trouble!

Just beautiful !!! She looks like shes smiling !

I reckon the bc's are the smiling breed !

not always - my little girl looks worried all the time. Even when she is excited she looks worried. One very serious puppy.