Introducing A New Pup To Adult Dog

taffy

Hi

this saturday I bring home my new pup, my mum is looking after the kids for me so that makes it a little easier but I am unsure on how to best introduce the two of them to get them off to the best start.

We have 2 crates (one where lucky sleeps and one for the pup) and OH came up with introducing them in the crates (Lucky in hers then bringing the pup into his) so they can get used to each other being there before coming completely face to face.

Should this work or is there a better way that anyone knows of?

Lucky is fine with other dogs unless its a small fluffy dog that rushs to a fence and barks at her so Im not too worried about her getting snotty but I would like to make the transition from one to two dogs as easy as possible for her.

Thanks

Lauren

I don't know.

I am always bringing rescue pups home.

So I just walk on in with it. Let my 3 big dogs sniff the puppies butt and

then put puppy down.

I know my dogs personalities and how they will react.

My Shep just needs to sniff and then he is off and running like an idiot and pretends puppy isn't there.

My Rotti stands over the top of the puppy and barks a little, but then he is fine.

My Lab wants to sniff and lick and then he keeps out of the puppies way.

If your dog is dog friendly then I wouldn't think having a puppy is a problem.

Just make sure your older dog gets fed first and patted first etc.

Hey Lauren! :laugh:

I know how excited you are about getting your new baby - can't wait for the photos! :rofl: He's going to be just gorgeous!

I think introducing them in their crates first of all is a good idea. Also, I'd let Lucky out first while Puppy is still in his crate, so that Lucky can walk all around the crate sniffing and getting to know Puppy, without them being in each other's face. If Lucky seems ok, praise him lots and lots! Big cuddles and pats etc. He needs to understand that Puppy is a *good* thing, and that Puppy's arrival doesn't mean that Lucky will be getting any less cuddles/attention. Then if all seems ok between the two, then I'd let Puppy out so they can sniff each other and sus each other out properly.

Just my idea, others may suggest something different. Wish you all the best!

Cassie

oops, forgot to check this thread

Cassie, is it that obvious that I'm excited? :lmao: must be driving everyone here nuts

I am definately going to do it the crate way. Lucky is dog friendly but just walking in with pup will get her too excited and jumpy

thank doG mums looking after the kids otherwise they will just want to play with it

Hey Lauren!!!

Woohooo only a few hours to go!!!! :thumbsup: cant wait for those pics!!! you should be excited hun :thumbsup:

I think introducing them in their crates first of all is a good idea. Also, I'd let Lucky out first while Puppy is still in his crate, so that Lucky can walk all around the crate sniffing and getting to know Puppy, without them being in each other's face. If Lucky seems ok, praise him lots and lots! Big cuddles and pats etc. He needs to understand that Puppy is a *good* thing, and that Puppy's arrival doesn't mean that Lucky will be getting any less cuddles/attention. Then if all seems ok between the two, then I'd let Puppy out so they can sniff each other and sus each other out properly

Agrees with Cassie (hi Cassie lol)

This is basically what we did to introduce Stormy to Amby !!! it worked well

Hugs Cazzie

Because I know my older girls personality well, when we brought puppy home, we went out into the yard and popped him down and they sniffed each other and went from there. Anytime Leila acknowleged the puppy she got a treat and so forth.

I sometimes find that placing a gate in between the two can create tention, anyone else experienced that on first meetings?

Edited by sas

I agree sas, gates, screen doors etc can create tension

When I brought my boy home, I put my girl on lead and let her watch the boy walk around the yard, he then came up to her and she gave him a big sniff and a lick, every time she did his she got a treat

My GSD was trained with 'settle' so that when he started gettin too excited, I would say the command and he would relax and get into the down position. When I brought my puppy Tesha home, I let her walk around the lounge-room for a bit with him outside so that she felt comfortable and confident in the room. Then I brought him in on a leash, freed him but controlled him with verbal commands until they were both playing and sleeping together like they had known each other for years - all in about 3 hours.

You have to remember that it's not just about making sure your first dog doesn't get left-out and feel threatened or jealous etc. It's also about making the puppy feel comfortable and secure in it's new home. This is why it can be better for there to be 2 people (attention on both dogs at every moment) but that's not necessary