Herbal Treatment Urgent

Hello I am looking into a treatment for ONGOING rash on my dog cortzone which I done want to use

has helped but only a short term .

it is not mange -- possible airborne virus reocurrs at intervals causes he hair to thin an a rash on her bottom similar to a graze when you fall over ,which is what starts it it is only on hind quarters .

my main question is has anyone had anything to do with Robert McDowell herbal treatments

as he is suggesting a BLOOD CLEANSER 100mls dose 10 drops daily @ $56

Your coments would be valued thanks Gloryba

Sorry, I've not used those herbal products.

Do you have a vet diagnosis for your dog's rash? Has flea allergy been excluded?

If you tell us what area you're in, perhaps someone can recommend a holistic vet to help you look at everything, including dog's diet etc.? I think you'll get better results for your dog that way and avoid wasting money.

Hi I will answer as much as possible , it is not fleas my vet does NOT want her on cortzone and is happy for natural medicine .

Bindii doesn't not eat dry food at all I prepare her food , vegies chicken

ox heart ,fruit . I have her on camomile at the moment and it has helped especially with the itches .I am at my wits end to help my little one .Bindii has the begining of renal failure which I have held at bay so to speak for the last 18mths and cortzone is the last thing she needs .

Glorybea

Renal failure can cause itch.

I know in humans, calcium tablets ('Caltrate') and 'Alu-tabs' are prescribed to help with this- they're phosphate binders.

I'm not saying cortisone is the answer, but an ointment, as opposed to tablets, might help your dog be much more comfortable.

One of my French Bulldogs had very severe itching, I changed shampoos with him to one purchased off TVSN.com. You can also buy it at Health shops. It's called Paws and has no chemicals in it. Since using it he has stopped itching. He was scratching himself raw. I also stopped using chicken as they use so many hormones and chemicals these days to grow them. Or find an organic chicken producer and buy your meat from there. The only dry food I will feed him is Advance Turkey and rice.

I have tried the BP mix from Robert McDowell, but it didn't really help him and he hated the taste, even ran and hid behind chairs when he saw me with it.

Haven't used the Blood cleanser on dogs, but currently have two horses on it. we have used quite a few bottles of this stuff on various horses, mainly for infections. It is really good at boosting the immune system.

I would also give 25 mgs of zinc every day for a while - have found this to be very helpful in skin conditions, even flea allergies. Fish oil is also very good for skin health, especially eczema type problems.

From the many people i have spoken too, all speak well of Robert McDowell and consider him as one of australia's best animal herbalists.

The tough thing with allergy problems is that there are so many different things that could be causing the problem: toxicities from chemicals given (eg wormers etc), vaccination problems, emotional/behaviour causes, food allergies to specific foods/protien types, illnesses/diseases, contact allergies (eg grasses/plants, chemicals in cleaners, etc) or a combination of these. You and you vet are right that long term use of cortisone will not be good for the problem as it will only suppress it and potentially make it worse or create other issues (it can be useful sometimes to provide temporary relief as the problem is dealt with).

Adding fish oil as mentioned can help reduce the inflammatory responses in the body (preferably a type that has vit E to prevent oil going rancid). There are many other things worth adding as well such as vit C, A, E, etc.

Homeopathy might be a path worth trying to deal with the true cause of the problem.

There are also other natural products that can provide relief for the itching such as aloe vera, emu oil, specific herbal teas, etc.

Even if there are sensitivities to things like food, fleas, grasses etc, often it is not the true cause of the problem, just a sensitivity caused by some other issue.

Best of luck

Hi

DuncanandDougal - a Golden Retriever posted this on the Goldie Photo thread a few day ago - though it might help!

Anyway, the reason I ask is because I am interested to know if anyone here has a Goldie suffering from allergies?

Goldies are known to be succeptible to allergies and skin problems.........my first boy Hamish had many issues due to neglect and age.

But my young boy Duncan has been scratching on and off for some weeks now, couldn't find any fleas and neither could the vet.

Yesterday I noticed he has no hair on the inside back right leg - it was all spots and scabs

I can only put it down to a food allergy (maybe beef) as I don't think it's environmental. So it's chicken and rice for him for the next wee while.

Anyway, I had ordered some herbal tonics and lotions for my boys from Malcom Harker in NZ - they arrived yesterday and the Pets-Coat Lotion (for mange, sores, lesions, fleas, ticks, lice, coat conditioning etc) has been brilliant!

I put the first lot on last night and poor Duncster was still biting his leg this morning.

I have put the lotion on a couple of times today and he hasn't scratched or bitten since this morning. His leg looks a lot less inflamed as well. I am so pleased this inexpensive all natural lotion has worked so well in such a short period of time!

So if anyone has goldies or any pooches with skin issues and would like to know more, let me know.

Thanks for all your input it sounds --I have tried a lot of the things you all have suggested Aloe vera ,different shampoos,changing diet using cortzone cream zinc tablets fish oil. she gets a temp before it starts .

I have been refered and have sent a hair sample to have it analyzed for food and they tend to think it could be toxins in the liver and cleansing and tonic is the answer ?? I really am grateful for your observations and promise an update to follow as it is so valuble to others to know out comes -I habve set her sample prioity post hoping to speed answer up . Espesially FIRST TIME PUPPY OWNER who wrote above my reply thats how Bindii's started so beware .

cheers Glorybea

Hi

I've recently used the Blood Cleanser and Skin Allergy tonic to address an allergic reaction to what I think was an environmental allergy. I was sick of giving my dog anti biotics each time he reacted to an allergy and tried Robert McDowell's tonics.

My dog had small pimple like bumps on his lower lip which were multiplying. I rang Robert's office and they recommended the 2 tonics. After about 2 weeks the bumps started to disappear and I continued with the tonics for 14 wks so by that time the bumps had completely disappeared.

He didn't display any other symptoms they told me to expect ie bumps would get worse before they improved and he could break out in bumps all over his body.

I am happy with the results but I do recommend speaking directly with them rather than communicating via email to obtain the right advice.

I contacted Robert a couple of years ago. Ruby has dreadful skin allergies which we believe are caused by grasses. The only place she doesn't react is Canberra but she's reacted everywhere else (Darwin, Cairns, Melbourne). We used to take her to the vet for anti-inflammatories (injectible and tablets) but obviously can't do that year-round. I e-mailed Robert for some advice. He said that it would be worth trying his Blood Cleanser and Skin Allergy compounds. So when Ruby's skin started itching when we got back to Darwin, I ordered both remedies. She's been on them for a couple of weeks and the results are FANTASTIC. She's still scratching but not as often or as hard as usual. Her skin is much clearer and the irritation has definitely reduced (the skin is much less red). She's not making herself bleed any more and her fur isn't falling out as it usually does.

I can highly recommond Robert McDowell's products. E-mail or call him - he's brilliant IMO. :thumbsup:

ETA - Ruby is fed a raw, whole foods diet but I notice that if she's fed commercial treats or foods of any sort, the itching seems worse. I'd suggest switching to a raw diet too as many processed and refined foods don't sit well with either dogs or people.

Edited by lillysmum