Coat Change

When brushing today, I noticed our standard poodle's coat seems a bit wiry along his back, in places. Previously more curly-wavy.

He's now 6 months old, desexed only last week, so not much chance to have an effect, yet. I noticed it seems to have more pigment down the back, too. I've not clipped him for about 3-4 weeks, so should be equally sun-faded (?). He's going more cream-coloured, from apricot, but that's fine.

Is this normal? The mini has very curly, harsh coat like a proper poodle, but I can't remember him having a phase like this?

Standards would usually go through coat change later than this - mine have all been between 10 and 12 months of age but it sounds like guard hairs coming through. Your mini's coat would have been soft as a puppy. Coat change is very noticeable in show dogs - agghhh all that hair and less so on pets with short clips.

PW guard hairs come through course and usually a different coour to the original coat. Blacks have white, browns have white etc but the same colour hair is the coat changing and maturing. You notice it less in the blacks as of course it is black but if you pick through a coat at around the 6 to 9 month age you will notice them start to poke through. It is even less noticable on a pet as they are generally cut short. The first indicator people usually get is pin knots usually around 9 months onwards. This is the soft puppy coat matting as the new stronger coat comes through.

My brown girl is just 12 months but she had white gurad hairs coming through from around 6 months. She also has her new coat starting wih a mix of the brown course hair and of course the whites :confused: She will eventually go a horrible faded colour and not that lovely dark brown.

Hi, this is the first time i've owned toy poodles, they're both 7 months old. When can I expect their coat to change and what changes to expect and how long does this phase go for? I had to clip both short cos they were matting somethin shockin. Tia

That "matting something shocking" was probably their coat change. An adult coat is generally harsher than the soft puppy coat which means their topknot will hold its shape better and your groomer will not grind their teeth trying to get it to sit nicely :cry:

That "matting something shocking" was probably their coat change. An adult coat is generally harsher than the soft puppy coat which means their topknot will hold its shape better and your groomer will not grind their teeth trying to get it to sit nicely :cry:

Thanks Frufru, I was wondering if that was it. Is clipping them short the only way to get through that stage? It was such a shame they both had beautiful long coats but it was ridiculous, I'd spend hours grooming only to find huge mats again hours later. Also they looked as if no-one owned them.

Grooming and more grooming :rofl::rofl: is the only way to keep the hair. During coat change the dog needs to be thoroughly brushed and combed out every day. Weekly bathing and drying is a must (some people do twice a week) and you can put the coat into oil or condition heavily. This is a regime followed by show people and is quite demanding which is why most people with pets choose to clip the hair off rather than groom daily. Enjoy your babies

Edited by frufru