Trialling Rules Question

But dogdude, that's because normally the lower title is required in order to gain the higher title. Therefore, it goes without saying that to have a CDX the dog MUST have its CD.

I don't plan to compete in CCD at all - just go straight to Novice. Hence my dog will have its CD title and will not be differentiated from a dog that has gone to the added effort of gaining CCD and CD titles. Don't you think that's a bit strange?

I am pretty sure Geelong are running 4 separate trials, phone the secretary if you want to confirm this.

This means you could enter in a CD class after doing a CCD class as you don't need a CCD title to compete in CD.

The danger though is if you do not get your CCD title and have entered into CD you cannot ever go back and get the CCD title

The danger though is if you do not get your CCD title and have entered into CD you cannot ever go back and get the CCD title

Surely it's only if they get a pass in the Novice class though? Or is it another local Vic rule that once you've competed in Novice you can't compete in CCD? Rules say:

Under no circumstances except where an application for a C.C.D. Title

has been rejected on a technicality, shall a dog, which has gained a qualifying

score in a Novice Class, be eligible to compete in the Community Companion Dog

Class.

Nothing about not eligible if only having competed in Novice, and here you can compete in Novice and then drop back to CCD at another trial if you didn't pass Novice.

Hence my dog will have its CD title and will not be differentiated from a dog that has gone to the added effort of gaining CCD and CD titles. Don't you think that's a bit strange?

I think that the fact that CD title is considered a higher title, and for most dogs harder to achieve, it replaces the CCD. A dog who can achieve a CD pass should be able to achieve CCD passes, the exercises aren't different enough IMO to recognise the lower one once advanced beyond it. As in retrieving, RRD is considered higher than NRD, AARD higher than RRD etc, however you never actually have to have the prior title. Most people I know replace the lower one on their dogs name, not just add it. Although if Rogan ever gets above NRD, I might keep them all after such a struggle :p

Edited by FHR

Your explanation makes sense, FHRP. At a recent trial in Tamworth there was over 30 entries in CCD and only 4 in Novice. Obviously people appreciate the opportunity to gain confidence at a lower level before going on.

Most people I know replace the lower one on their dogs name, not just add it. Although if Rogan ever gets above NRD, I might keep them all after such a struggle :o

Ha! Ha! I know I certainly kept both of them with Nelson - every letter in those titles reflected another 50 grey hairs on my head! :p

If she doesn't get her 2 CCD passes, we wont trial in Novice.

She got 98/100 last trial so I'm reasonably confident, barring a disaster like a dog approaching her during stays, she'll get her 2 passes. Otherwise, we'll scratch the Novice trial, go home and train some more :p