Toilet Training Puppy Using Crate

Browney

Hi all.

Well I'm finally getting my 8 week beagle puppy tommorrow and have finally got everything ready for him (I hope :wave: ) but I just have one quick question I need a hand with and couldn't find a specific answer after searching through the threads.

He will be crate trained, mainly to help with toilet training, and so I'm wondering how often throughout the night should a beagle puppy of this age (8 weeks) be taken outside to go to the toilet?

Thanks for any help.

Chris

with both my pups i crate trained.

I let pup out at 10pm and we all went to bed, i set the alarm for 2am and let pup out - minimum fuss and interaction top up water bowl and reheat hot water bottle if necessary :wave:

get up at 6am let up out and play brekkie for a couple of hours before work....

all the info i read reckoned 4 hours was about the maximum an 8 week old pup could last. its supposed to increase about an hour a week with age.

i slowly moved the 2am stop forward until they were going right thru the night. :D

another tip - make sure you have another blanket next to the crate for the night stops incase of accidents - means less fussing around in the night!

with both my pups i crate trained.

I let pup out at 10pm and we all went to bed, i set the alarm for 2am and let pup out - minimum fuss and interaction top up water bowl and reheat hot water bottle if necessary :wave:

get up at 6am let up out and play brekkie for a couple of hours before work....

all the info i read reckoned 4 hours was about the maximum an 8 week old pup could last. its supposed to increase about an hour a week with age.

i slowly moved the 2am stop forward until they were going right thru the night. :D

another tip - make sure you have another blanket next to the crate for the night stops incase of accidents - means less fussing around in the night!

Thanks a lot for that Akitaowner thats exactly what i was after. Might start at 3 hours just to be sure then slowly build it up. And thanks for the tip as well, thats a great idea, I didn't even think about that.

Edited by Browney

youll soon get into a good routine - it helped for me having my OH working shifts so he usualy got home around 2 to let them out :wave: expect to be a zombie for a few days! but its soooo worth it when they are reliable in the house really young :D

youll soon get into a good routine - it helped for me having my OH working shifts so he usualy got home around 2 to let them out :D expect to be a zombie for a few days! but its soooo worth it when they are reliable in the house really young :)

:wave: , yeah i fully expect to be zombie at least for the first couple of days but luckily I have two weeks off work so hopefully during that time I can get him well on his way to being house trained, or at least lay a good foundation to start with.

Thanks again

Good luck with your Beagle puppy - they are ripper dogs :wave: I'm not sure if I was just lucky but I did not get up in the night once for my lad when he came home. He sleeps in his crate in the laundry BUT I leave the crate open with no door. He was paper trained when we got him at 8 weeks and I just left a soft lamp on and some newspaper near the entrance of the crate. I put him to bed at 7pm and then get him up at about 10pm for a final toilet and his chicken neck to help him settle. For 3-4 nights he toileted on the paper and then held on all night without a problem although I always got him up at 6am in the beginning. He always had a smallish bowl of water too. He is a fabulous sleeper now....he's 7 months and will sleep in until 9.30am if I let him...bliss :D

You can crate train at any age, my parents crate trained the now 17 yeaer old (was 16 when they crate trained) family dog for when they took her to the USA. Two of mine were crate trained from pups, Zoe was crate trained at 5 months.

I always crate mine separately so they have their own space away from the other dogs, not sure what others do.

yep you can crate train any age dog - i crate train all the fosters that come thru our place :confused:

i would crate them seperately especially if toilet training - but it kinda depends on the actual dogs - its good for them to have somewhere to go alone if they feel the need...

I brought Mickey (Min. Pin.) home at 11 weeks. I put his crate in a puppy pen with newspaper on the floor. Toileted him at about 10pm-10/30pm and put him in the crate with the door open.

Got up about 6.30am and he hadn't left the crate all night, paper was still dry. Took him outside and he did an enormous wee! He never did use the paper and I got my sleep lol. He has travelled long distances by car and has never soiled in his crate and was very easy to house train.

Hi All

We have just brought home a seven week female staffy pup who we want to crate train. This advice is fantastic for us too. Last night was interesting for my two girls (two legged) aged 8 and 6 yrs who didn't think such a sweet puppy could make such noise during the night. Here's hoping for better nights ahead!

Hi Otiboy

Good luck with the new pup, it does get better. My boys become better and better every night so far (I expect to have at least a few more rough nights to come) but he has improved heaps. He is already at the point that when I tell him good to bed he'll walk into his crate and lay down to go to sleep :D . And last night he slept straight through from about 10 till 7 30 :thumbsup: which i was absolutely shocked wit hbut also very glad to get the sleep.

Anyway good luck and thanks again veryone for your help.

Chris