Positive Gundog

Thanks Stella! :thumbsup: I figured it could be retrained, he was only ever given a bird wing at 6 weeks for a try out and I haven't let him muck around with any since then, so no chance of developing any bad habits with real birdies.

Mel.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

• 2 weeks later...

ok books arrived

Only had time to flick through but was a bit dissapointed half te book is just learning theory and basic obedience etc i was hoping it would be more in depth into retrieving trianing it seems to be a more of a knock the old time trainers rather than an informative book on trianing gundogs

I was hoping for something wiht lots of drills etc will read it properly tonight and see if there is more n it than i thought but i think i have found more info on retrieving drills etc in the old books i have and it isnt hard to remove forced fetch and electric collar and replace them wiht something im more comfortable with

good beginner book though i guess

Edited by wheres my rock

fro soemone new to dog trinaing that wanted to learn the basics and i mean basics of retrieving ts a good book

i was looking for something that was more detailed like a chapter on marks first explaining what marking is the types of marking how to build better marking etc

this book basically is an ad for his workshops and really all hes saying is read the old books that are in detail and he reccomends a few but dont use the ecollar or FF however he doesnt say what to doinstead cept blame yourself for pushing the dog if it makes a mistake and he doesnt deal wiht troubleshooting

sure the bok would get you a basic begginer dog probabaly able to pass a working gundog test so long as you didnt have problems along the way

though he does have a yahoo group so i guess you could ask questions there

I also agree wiht LL he lacks experienece in field and retrieveing his area of trianng is more pet dogs wiht naughty habits

IF you want a read of it i happy t send it up to you ive read it cover to cover now anyway

im now after a copy of a book called Tri troncs it apparently has very good rills in it which is what i was looking for

im now after a copy of a book called Tri troncs it apparently has very good rills in it which is what i was looking for

Do you mean Tri-Tronic's retriever training by Jim Dobb? All the Tri-Tronic's books are about how to use Tri-Tronic's electric collar for gun dog training. :happydance2:

I am looking for a book with a lot of drills as well but I don't want to use electric collar for that.

yes thast the one you dont have to use the ecollar though just get the drill ideas from it thast what i plan to do hehe

Wehn we started in obedience it was almost impossible to get books that showed how to teah behaviours wihtout correction so we just ignored that bit and figured it out for ourselves

so they hve a seris of books then the other book he sugges is by mark lardy total retriever training

should add im not going to buy either until i see them im tired of wasting money on books that arent what i was lookig for

Edited by wheres my rock

WMR,

For retriever training drills you can't go past...

Retriever Training Drills For Marks

Retriever Training Drills for Blinds

by James B Spencer.

There is some e-collar work but he does suggest alternative methods for those who prefer to train the "amish" way :thumbsup: Both these books have excellent descriptions and diagrams. Mine are dog-eared and have page markers on all my favourite drills. Well worth the money :thumbsup:

ETA "Positive Gundog" is based on English retrieving trials which are very, very different to Australian trials. American drills are morely readily adapted to our needs.

Edited by Tangwyn

cool thanks for that i will have to chase down a copy will also suggest vca library get them hehe

dont spose you could photocopy some of your favs for me to have a look at

thats what i was looking for i already know how i train i just need to know what to teach

by James B Spencer.

Is the "drills for blinds" the same as "for blind retrieves"? I am very intrigued what it means. :laugh:

by James B Spencer.

Is the "drills for blinds" the same as "for blind retrieves"? I am very intrigued what it means. :laugh:

Yes, the same thing. Hidden retrieves. The dog leaves the handler side, on a taught direction, in the straightest route to the retrieve. Stops and take (arm) casts as directed. Training includes what is called handling factors, like wind, terrain, water, ignoring previously seen sighted birds (which the dog is not allowed to retrieve until the blind is brought back). Dogs are naturally inclined to return to previous success areas, as in where the marks have been retrieved so good handling ability is required. Training includes handling past, what is called suction as a result. Its fun.

I would but I have lent them both out to a friend. Besides, all the drills are my favourite! :laugh:

Tangwyn, for interest, do you have the drill book by Carol Cassity. On each page it asks not for it to be photocopied. Wanna lend?

I would but I have lent them both out to a friend. Besides, all the drills are my favourite! :thumbsup:

Tangwyn, for interest, do you have the drill book by Carol Cassity. On each page it asks not for it to be photocopied. Wanna lend?

Hi LL,

No, I don't have it. My book collection is, unfortunately, limited to what I can find on Amazon. Would absolutely love to know what secrets lie within :laugh:

I would but I have lent them both out to a friend. Besides, all the drills are my favourite! :p

Hi LL,

No, I don't have it. My book collection is, unfortunately, limited to what I can find on Amazon. Would absolutely love to know what secrets lie within :confused:

Where's my rock,

How about I mail the book to Tangwyn first, as you do not have a pup yet, and she sends it, to you, after she has finished?

As it is a "keeper" it might be best simply to order the book through the writer. She is very nice!!! No handling charges. Just the shipping costs. From memory the book itself is US $20.00. Our exchange rate is impressive at the moment. That is, if you are buying from the US at least!!!