Chasing Bats And Possums

As soon as the sun goes down, the fruit tree next to my fence attracts possums and fruit bats. Ronin goes MAD over them and all we hear is him trying to get at them.

My issue is that he is nearly getting himself up and over the fence. The more he does this, the closer he gets and I am worried about him getting himself over. This is a 6ft fence without a foothold but he is nearly there.

Short of locking him up at dusk (he does get locked up at 10pm or so each night) - any ideas on how I can try and convince him to not scramble at the fence?

I am worried I'll lose him and hearing it is driving me barmy.

All ideas appreciated.

I was thinking that. I have access to one, however I am not sure how that would go over living near the inner city (I am at Hamilton) I can just imagine my neighbour leaning over to grab some oranges off the tree and getting a zap. :laugh:

I'm not a fan of the bats either... but I can't get rid of the tree as I live in a rental. Although, it wouldn't make a huge difference even if I did because my neighbours tree is right up against the fence very close to mine.

grrr

I'd get the electric fence & tell the neighbours that you are going to put one up for a short while so that they are aware it's there & make sure you put up a sign, I dont think you would have any problems :eek: . You shouldnt have to have it up for long by the sound of it, even if he realises it's there you could always run a wire along there permanently & then put the electric fence up as well & then when you take down the electric one the wire is still there as a visual deterent. I doubt he will know the difference or be able to tell where the shock came from anyway - if you put it about three quarters of the way up the fence on your side it's not likely that anyone would touch it accidentally (apart from the dog that is ;) .

If it were my dog that is what I would be doing, my dog's safety is most important to me & that is the fastest, easiest & most reliable method I can think of to solve the problem.

Good luck :D .

Are they fruit trees?, maybe if they are you could pick all the fruit off them. ;)

The trees are VERY large and some of the fruit is still green.

We do eat/juice the oranges so don't want to waste them.

I think I might go with MrsD's idea and call my friend about borrowing her fence. If I am lucky I might zap a possum or two also. I wonder if they learn as quick as the dog will.