My Pup Is Growing Up !

Lil Miss LeiLani

Hi everyone,

Well - we took zorro to doggy park yesterday and it happened to be his 7 mth b'day too ! :laugh:

Well, I got there and my OH called me over & said that Zorro lifted his leg for the first time yesterday ! I was so upset I missed it !! :love:

Anyhoo - so now yesterday at the park, watching his behaviour - once his friend peed - he would go straight after and pee too, and of course the obvious humping !

He is not yet desexed. What else can I expect that will change from now on ??

what will change? well..he will "claim ownership" of anything standing still..he will maybe backchat you, will start to smell, and will have a ravenous appetite, tease the other family members....

Oh..you were asking about the DOG????

:laugh::love:

Teenage males!! All the same.

Time for that vet visit ! Sooner rather than later!

:)

Edited by persephone

Why would you be happy that your dog lifts his leg to pee and humps things?? :love: These are the two reasons most people give for not wanting male dogs. My boy was desexed at 6 months and has never cocked his leg or humped another dog (or our legs :laugh: ). It is great!! These behaviours can be seen to be a bit antisocial so would discourage them(at the very least don't encourage the humping).

Are you going to have him desexed? If not the likely things that may happen behaviour-wise are: increased likelihood of roaming, more humping, possible aggression around other unsterilised dogs or bitches on heat etc. I am not saying that only unsterilised dogs are like this but it may be more common - particularly the desire to find bitches on heat. I'll let someone else with more experience mention the physical aspect.

Hope this helps and I haven't offended you :)

Thanks everyone !

No offence taken Kendall ! :-)

No, i'm not happy he humps things !! We also pull him off when he does and don't let him do it to us !!

He's 7mths old now - but apparently you shouldn't desex them till about 12mths old, so we've got a bit of time left to put up with this.

We've got obedience on tonite so hopefully he will behave.

Its just weird that as soon as he turned 7mths - boom!!! Lifting his leg & peeing after other dogs to claim his territory.

I wonder if desexing him will make much difference.

What breed is your boy?

From my understanding, it is not proven that 12 mths should be the age.

Many here advocate early desexing/castration, to avoid the very things you are happy about!

One of ours was done yesterday..6.5 mths. He goes to hisd new home as soon as his stitches are out, and I am pleased that I was able to convince them that he will still be as nice /eager to do things as their other entire males :laugh:

He's a border collie.

I'm not happy about the humping as i said earlier - and the thing about the lifting the leg - I thought all boys do it when they grow up - so the way I saw it - i missed out on seeing him grow up so to speak.

When I posted the other day about desexing, it seemed most people said to wait until 9-12mths - esp if we are going to be doing agility etc cos otherwise it affects growth ?

I had my boy desexed early.

He has never humped or gotten excited. He only ever cocked his leg once and it was so funny I think he gave up in embarrassment (he almost fell over).

Ive never heard anyone suggest a BC be left until 12mths. I have for bigger breeds but Med and Smalls the sooner the better (In my opinion).

My beagle puppy is 10 months, he was desexed at 6 months and he lifts his leg occassionally - but its usually just a very lazy lift, only just off the ground!! He usually just stands to pee, he doesn't even squat. My othe beagle however is 2 years, and he was desexed later at about 12 months and he cocks his leg on EVERYTHING - we call him the three-legged dog. Its a bit gross when he cocks his leg on the outdoor table or the BBQ, whereas my other boy just stands and pees in the garden. I would definitely desex a boy earlier rather than later...

My Puppy, a Bichon, has just started cocking his leg at everything on our walks and a couple of days ago made his first break-out and dash for freedom. He is also less obedient and humps my leg occasionally (and no I'm not happy at all). He is not even quite 6 months yet! I thought it would happen later than this. I'm now very desperate to get him desexed but we have to save. How much does it usually cost? Do these adolescent behaviours improve after desexing or is it already too late?

How much does it usually cost?

We have booked our 2 Border Collies in for desexing on their 6 month birthday and it costs $185 (for the male) and $215 (for the female). The vet will microchip them at the same time for about $50 each. They also check whether all their canine teeth have fallen out properly (apparently the old tooth doesnt always fall out and the new one grows right next to it) and remove those if necessary while they are under the anaesthetic.

I dont know how much prices vary from place to place.

MIl...ask your vet about payments.

For a small dog it shouldn't be too expensive..

I had a Koolie boy done during the week...11.5 kg, 6 mths old..only cost around $160...and he was at the surgery for about 4 hours :laugh: he is now racing around 100%!!

Our vet has a scheme..1/2 of the money at time of pickup..then some each week . You need to talk to the practice manager first, and organise terms if they will. ( maybe it doesn't apply to desexing tho? )

best of luck with him