Craig A. Murray

I didn't think this thread would be still going. Craig's name was mentioned to me by a friend and I hadn't heard of him. I now know he is/ was Queensland based.

JJ under no circumstances would I bring into disrepute the name of any trainer, especially one I have not met or trained under. I was interested in some training he did with the NSW RSPCA on assessments.

Thanks for the original link.

Further to a previous post .... I recently imported 3 dogs. A male Malinois, a male Laekenois and a female Laekenois. Male Laek is son of Malinois. Malinois male is very high drive dog. Staff at the Quarantine centre could not and would not go into their pens (this is not in my opinion a reflection on the dogs as I had no such trouble when I got them home although the first couple of days was not for the feint of heart!) When I had my first litter from the Mal assessed by Craig and Tracy - I also took the Sire with me. Craig had this dog eating out of the palm of his hand in a couple of minutes. This dog would be too much for most owner/handlers as his drive has not been centred for some time - but I was certainly impressed to see the possibilities after only a couple of minutes. I think it is the results that prove or disprove a trainers ability. And quick results like this I believe can only come from the trainer/handlers ability to read the dog and visa versa.

So in my mind, so long as the training is not excessive in regard to negative reinforcement and is balanced according to each dog, then you cannot make your mind up just by watching someones methods - you need to see what they start with and how that dog ends up at the end of the training. JMHO

My response was - go watch him....I have on a number of occasions - him and his wife. Would I use him? No. Would I use his wife? No. Their style of training goes against my grain. One can only judge after seeing or experiencing hence my response.

What was their style of training that went against your grain. Unless you can specifically say what that was are you not in fact just someone who tried half the method instead of the full method. Not only that did you come away with I can do that without their help and I have watched so I now know all about you.

No I am not backing up Craig A Murray because I may or may not know who he is. His name rings a bell but I can't remember from where. So unless someone that has actually taken lessons from him and said that he recommends that all dogs should be starved to death or cattle prodded then I am sorry I won't listen.

i have heard he trained SAR dogs and bloodhounds years ago and is very good with dominant dogs-the type that all the other training methods have not worked on.i would have no problem using him,alot of dogs need different methods of training and that is where a lot of people come unstuck-because they have a dominant ,high drive dog and they only use positive re inforcement etc,sometimes they do need to be corrected and some people perceive this to be cruel.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you Centitout - sometimes positive reinforcement is not enough. We've just gone through that with Zorro, and had a RAAF/police dog handler come out and fix up Zorros dominance issues. He stayed with us a few hours, and we were very amazed to find that Zorro changed from then !! We were told by others that it will be a long process and can takes months etc, but our dog has changed sooo much, I can't believe the difference in him.